Steri-strips and socks

Just looking for other people’s experiences on a couple incision related things:

I’m at 5 weeks post op, and had stitches removed and replaced with steri strips three weeks ago. The nurse said the strips would fall off in about a week but they’re still on - did anyone else have this happen? When will they fall off? A couple edges are peeling but overall they’re still pretty stuck on there.

Another thing I’m curious about is that I was also given the okay to sleep without the boot, and have been for three weeks. I still cover the incision with a sock because I’m afraid of it rubbing on the sheets and/or pulling on the steri strips, but it’s uncomfortable and hot to have it covered 24/7. Am I being over-cautious or is this a good thing to keep doing?

5 Comments »

1. donna Said,

February 23, 2015 @ 3:36 pm

Hey Kat…yes, I’m in beautiful Colorado. I moved here from the Boston area almost 5 years ago in my semi-retirement.

I was also told my steri strips would fall off when they were put on at 3 weeks and to wait and let them, however, I was impatient and when they go to the point where the edges were peeling, at around 5 weeks, I took them off and didn’t seem to suffer for it. I’m not saying you should or shouldn’t take them off, just sharing my experience.

I was also told I didn’t need to sleep with the boot when I got mine at 3 weeks. I never slept with it or wore socks to bed. YAY for naked feet! I think it’s a personal preference. If concerned I suppose you could just cover the incision with gauze and tape at night thus avoiding the sock but having it covered for your peace of mind? Just a suggestion.

2. cj81 Said,

February 23, 2015 @ 3:41 pm

Hey Kait,
    When the nurse removed my stitches, she told me to not leave the steri strips on for more than a week and that they should fall off after about a week. Well, mine were still hanging on mostly after 10 days so I carefully peeled them off and I was fine. I would maybe try to wet the incision area and carefully peel them off. I’m not sure how your scar looks but after five weeks my wound was completely closed. If yours is closed, I would think you should be okay in removing the strips and sleeping without a sock. If you’re unsure though, I would call the Dr. or his nurse and get their opinion.

3. kaitmeister Said,

February 23, 2015 @ 4:57 pm

I wish I could see the incision - between the strips and the marker it’s next to impossible to see how it’s healing. I haven’t had any issues with it though so I may gently try to lift them off.

4. skelonas Said,

February 27, 2015 @ 10:11 am

I just had my stitches out yesterday at 3 weeks and they didn’t put anything on them. It he seemed a little weird so I asked about it, and he said there is no need for anything. The incision looks really good, and there was no oozing from the previous week (though a small amount of oozing that evening and overnight). He also said that I shouldn’t put any neosporin or anything on it, and I should wait 4 weeks or so until the scar ‘looks like the skin around it’ before applying scar cream (he recommended Merderma). He said I can wash it gently, and to let any natural scabbing fall off. Has anyone else had no steri-strips after getting stitches removed at 3 weeks? Maybe it’s because they decided to wait an extra week due to some swelling at week 2.

5. beachy12 Said,

February 27, 2015 @ 12:58 pm

My stitches were removed at 12 days. I had no steri strips. I was advised to use a small amount of neosporin at night until all scabs were gone, then massage with vitamin e after stopping the neosporin.

RSS feed for comments on this post · TrackBack URI