Lumpy and bumpy and swelling

Hola! So I’ve been fwb in 2 shoes for 3 weeks going to PT. My achilles is lumpy and hard near the scar area. I am also still getting a lot of swelling. I am able to walk faster more and more. What is normal? My PT says it is but…. What is the 3 to 5 month recovery period look like?

Published in: on December 16, 2009 at 12:46 pm

The URI to TrackBack this entry is: http://achillesblog.com/jonkern/2009/12/16/lumpy-and-bumpy-and-swelling/trackback/

RSS feed for comments on this post.

6 Comments Leave a comment.

1. On December 16, 2009 at 3:06 pm doug53 Said:

Your progress sounds good!

Swelling happens; it is just something to control, perhaps with tight socks or with an ace wrap, until it eventually goes away.

Your faster walking probably means you can hold more of your weight with your calf, which means your heel isn’t glued to the floor until your good foot hits the ground up front to take some of the weight, as was the case when your calf was weaker.

The main thing to work on now is your calf strength, and there are lots of ways to do that.

Best wishes,

Doug

2. On December 16, 2009 at 10:36 pm 2ndtimer Said:

As I started walking more I fund also that the bump at the repair site became more pronounced.(now hardly seems to be there, except if I flex my foot) You still need to take breaks after an hour of activity.

I am in the 3rd month of 2 shoes, and it feels great: I feel less stiff in the mornings, but I still get tired by the end of the day. When I sit for long I need a few steps to warm up to take away the stiffness. But when going for a walk after the first minute I am warmed up and feel comfortable to walk at a fast speed, with good push off.

3. On December 17, 2009 at 10:18 am heelpatch Said:

Yeah, lumps and swelling are par for the course. In fact, they could be one-in-the-same. I’m over 6 months post-op and still get a little “muffin-top” over the heel of my shoe during the day.

The 3-5 month period is all about rebuilding strength lost to atrophy. Believe it or not, your tendon already is quite strong, but your calf muscles probably are mere shadows of their former selves. Don’t worry, by the end of 5 months, life should be nearly back to normal. It won’t be like it never happened (you’ll still have some stiffness and swelling and your strength won’t be 100%) but it will be close enough that you will be very grateful for the miracles of modern medicine.

4. On December 26, 2009 at 5:00 am linda atterton Said:

I am three months beginning to FWB. My physio says all this normal and boy is it sore. My husband has been sent now to buy a foot spa! Await my review!

Does anyone know when you can swim please?

5. On December 27, 2009 at 12:12 pm linda atterton Said:

does anyone have experience of rehab using the aircast sp walker? am thinking of getting f one, am 3 months post op ans starting to fwb. If so could you please e.mail me! thanks

6. On January 23, 2010 at 11:52 am rosamundi Said:

If you’re planning to use it to move from a long boot then my physio said not worth it and had me in shoes in 1 hour. If its your first boot depends whether your mend is strong enough, some say the risk of re-rupture is higher. If your calf muscle is strong enough you may be ok. Actually my physio said they were never intended for achilles rupture… true or not, don’t know.
    Actually in two trainers and able to FWB but daren’t because of the swelling and sheer sensitivity of my feet, it goes hot, goes cold, swells up, even on sticks. It stinks doesn’t it…