Going it Alone - 23 Weeks

August 1, 2012

So, my physio discharged me yesterday at almost 23 weeks.

It could have been down to the fact that due to some transport¬†disorganisation¬†on my part I had to cycle from work to physio, which is kind of out past home and off in the other direction towards the countryside. Still, upon arriving I was well warmed up, went on the stepper, did to two footed heel raises and some single leg heal ‘twitches’ (that’s all I could manage). Some balance board (while catching a ball) and some jogging on a small¬†trampoline.

She had a look at my ankles during the raises and reckoned that my prognosis was good and it did not appear that I had healed long and in time would be able to calf raise again at some point once strength allows.

Declaring that she was not required any more, instructions were to keep cycling with my clips, it is calf intensive and made a massive difference to my recovery. Looking back, it took guts to get back on my bike but I am glad I stuck with it. Maybe if summer returns to the UK (we had 1 week last week) then I may do some evening rides.

Also, regarding my cramps, she said to stretch after exercise and before bed and that should help.

So, my journey continues, just under self care and I will continue to blog.

Hope everyone is well, I see we have quite a few new members, off to catch up on posts.

J

Entry Filed under: Uncategorized. .

13 Comments Add your own

• 1. pauls  |  August 2nd, 2012 at 01:44

Nice to see someone back at near full fitness! Well do e happy healing!

• 2. andrew1971  |  August 2nd, 2012 at 08:52

Looks like you have eveything under control J, being discharged by the physio is a major milestone - congratulations.

Cycling is a major part of rehab, I have to say that I did not realise at the time but cycling to work at 14weeks was in itself a major milestone too - it’s given me something to aim for :)

I’ve never cycled with anything other than regular pedals but I can see the advantages that the clip/show combo can bring to calf rehab.

Congrats on the milestone J and happy continued healing :)

• 3. sheena  |  August 4th, 2012 at 09:25

Sounds good! Keep posting it’s good to read all the successes.

• 4. kimjax  |  August 4th, 2012 at 13:10

When did you start using your pedal clips? I really need a lot of twisting pressure on my ankle to get out of mine, so I’ve been reluctant to use them yet. (13 weeks)

• 5. ryanb  |  August 4th, 2012 at 15:48

Kim- you might consider investing in some pedals that require less force to get out of. Take a look at Speedplay Frogs for instance. If I recall correctly, they require zero force to get out of: you just need to twist your foot far enough, but there is no resistance.

• 6. Hillie  |  August 4th, 2012 at 17:21

I’m just about to get back on my road bike and will be using my old toe clip and strap pedals for a while.

• 7. jimminyc  |  August 4th, 2012 at 23:05

Hi Kim, I use shimano SPD clips on my cross bike and with my ATR leg just wound the cleat adjustment out (the small hex key screw) so they were easy to get out of. I found clips good as if my ATR leg started to feel tired I could pull up with my good leg to help! Now, at 22 weeks, I have just wound the cleat back in again as I like to ride with them tight, feels more secure.

A positive is that I have learned to climb hills sitting down over the last 8 weeks but now am just starting to be able to do short stints of standing and climbing.

Just keep it slow and steady and hopefully the cycling will help you also.

Good Luck!

• 8. jimminyc  |  August 4th, 2012 at 23:13

Sorry Kim, despite replying I failed to answer your actual question! I started using them at 14weeks when I got back on my bike. Just be careful setting off if like me you push off on your good foot with your bad foot on the pedal, best to be unclipped with pedal near the heal then clip in when going. I did this for 4 weeks or so before graduating to pulling away while clipped in. J

• 9. andrew1971  |  August 5th, 2012 at 23:58

My first comment requires moderation J - can you tick the approval box please :)

• 10. Dave  |  August 15th, 2012 at 18:36

Hi jimminyc
    glad you are doing well. I Am now 23 weeks Achilles debridement and reattachment and am at a similar position as you.
    I was just wondering is the back if your heel still swollen? mine still is and is still prone to puffiness after pt. Do you have similar issues?
    Thanks
    Dave

• 11. nutkin  |  August 15th, 2012 at 22:12

@ Dave
    Hi

I had my Achilles lengthened in Sept 201. I have found that the swelling is still a bit of an issue, especially around the soft tissue areas of my ankle. I have found that ice packs and comphresion stockings are useful, plus my phsyio recommended me taking Krill oil tablets (as they are a good at helping treatinflammation). I was told it is a good idea to check with your doctor to make sure any natural remedies you take won’t effect any other medication you might be on. Also have a look at your shoes, I am still in sneakers every day, so I need to keep them fairly up to date as they do give over time and therefore no longer provide the support your weakened leg and foot will need. Good luck with the recovery.

Karen

• 12. Aron  |  August 16th, 2012 at 07:37

I had a complete tear of my achilles playing softbal on Aug 8. The ER Dr knew right away and i was lucky to get into a orthopedust the same day. i had surgery Monday the 13th and have been in pain ever since. Not only in a pointy cast but have had severe pain. The surgery went well i was told but is is suposed to hurt for days after. Anyway I was told 2 weeks in this cast (pointed down, pain in the ass), then a flat cast. I have aske my Dr if I could move directly to the boot so I could get to work. Wewill see. I am stubborn and always heal quickly but this isnt the type of injury to rush, I had played 90 softball games this year and went down on the game before last, when I wasnt reall doing anything. I was yelling at people thinking they kicked me, LOL. Good luck to all and i am going to try to beat the record for recovery. hope to be walking in 2 weeks. It was a complete tear by the way so I may be looking for a miracle.

• 13. jimminyc  |  August 18th, 2012 at 12:26

Hi Dave, I find that the back of my heal has only just stopped swelling up. My rear of leg swelling used to be at whatever level my shoe was at, so in walking boots it would swell around the top level of them, my shoes at the office much lower. However, my ankle swelling in general used to be all around the sides and front, every day independent of my shoes and has only very recently stopped.

Pleased to say that 95% of my swelling has stopped now and perhaps this is because my calf strength is now much better and fluid is not settling in that area - just a theory, could be wrong!

Good luck!