Mar 01 2010

Crash, Bang, Pain

Published by jgigs at 4:42 pm under Uncategorized

Well it was bound to happen sometime and today it did.  My knee scooter has allowed me to get around the school/classroom and be somewhat normal.  The problem is it is a little wobbly, especially when I hit a bump.  Today I hit a marker or something on the ground, started tip to the left and instinct and reaction took over.  I started to stand up and brought my right leg down hard on the heel of the cast.  As soon as it hit I raised right up but knew it was a mistake.

Immediate jolt of pain up my leg, followed by tingling in my foot.  I was, to say the least a little freaked out.  I’m just glad the only sound that came out was ARGGGG and not a swear word or four.  Tried to keep myself propped up as much as I could the rest of the day and am sitting at home right now elevated.  Didn’t really feel anything after the initial jolt, but the mind does work overtime and play tricks.  I think all is well but then who really knows.

6 Responses to “Crash, Bang, Pain”

1. marion 01 Mar 2010 at 10:43 pm

I’d put a call out to the Dr, just in case.

2. normofthenorthon 02 Mar 2010 at 12:02 am

If the impact was all on the heel, I’d bet that your AT is fine. A couple of weeks NWB makes the heel of your foot amazingly sensitive to pressure, but I can’t see how that would hurt your AT — unless maybe it caused a strong pull by your calf muscle.

Probably just the world making you remember that you’re in a fragile state, even though you’ve found “work-arounds”.

I’d be surprised if the Doc wanted to take you out of the cast to check this out, especially if you don’t feel any lingering effects. (Disclaimer: this is a medical opinion from a non-professional, of course!)

3. "Frouchie" or "Grouchie", or just "Chris"on 02 Mar 2010 at 7:47 am

I did the same thing day two after getting my cast on. I slipped with crutches on a wet hallway, put my repaired foot down and stood up on the heel with a cast. OH Hell it hurt so bad!!

Everything turned out to be fine…my Doctor didn’t open the cast up or anything, he just told me to slow down and be careful.

I’m sure you’re gonna be ok.

Keep us posted.

4. jgigson 04 Mar 2010 at 4:46 pm

So I decided not to go to the doctor after my impact. Things settled down and I calmed down. I think you’re right norm, this was my body’s way reminding I’m still broken! Looking forward to next Wednesday when I can get rid of the cast and move to PWB. I long to put my feet on the ground.

5. normofthenorthon 04 Mar 2010 at 4:59 pm

You may have an interesting time with the transition from NWB to PWB and FWB if you’ve been using the knee scooter so much that you’ve gotten rusty with the crutches. There’s no way to do PWB on a knee scooter!

6. CoolKiwion 04 Mar 2010 at 6:18 pm

I did the same a couple of days ago. After sharing a bottle of wine I didn’t “put” my crutches on my left arm properly and promptly fell off them - put my left (bad) foot down by instinct. No pain or anything afterwards, and am sure things are fine. Moral of the story - don’t drink and crutch :-)