Can’t Sleep.

I guess with not being very active during the day 6 hours of sleep is about all I need. Woke up really hurting and am now wide awake. I’m finding that recovery is definitely not a linear process. The marathon part I understood, but the two steps (ugh) forward/one step (ugh) back seems to be the rule for progress so far. It’s just my daughter and me (ok and four pets-two cats, two dogs). She is in theatre and it’s show week, plus she is a senior, and she works one or two days a week. So I’m on my own a lot. That makes it a little harder I think. Not sure though, maybe it also makes it a little easier.

Things I’ve learned:

  • There are new hurts, aka scooter/crutches life. I’ve run over my good foot a few times, my kneeling knee is sore, the heels of my hands are sore (I think my handlebars are set too high + crutches).
  • Speaking of scooter/crutch life- how to accomplish tasks on the new ride, from basic to complex.
  • The joy of the sponge bath.
  • Life on couch island.
  • Lean on your faith.

Things that have worked well:

  • Having the wedge thing suggested by Dennis. Highly recommend.
  • Having a carry-all on the scooter to transport any and everything.
  • Staying on top of the pain meds.
  • Avoiding stairs.
  • Accepting life on Couch Island (the place you will be a LOT).
  • Having everything you might need there with you Couch Island.
  • Eating healthy foods/drinking a lot of water (ok, and diet gingerale)
  • Not watching tv all day.
  • Not napping very much.
  • Accepting help.
  • Taking it easy.
  • Having time to work on my doctoral coursework.
  • Reading blogs on this site/resources from this site.

Things that are not working out so well:

  • Sharing couch island with my two dogs. Thankfully they aren’t huge. However they are also not very bright, and don’t understand that I get top priority for having a comfortable position. That being said I still work around them way too much.
  • Sleeping all night-not happening.
  • I suck at asking for help.
  • 100% not putting any weight on the foot. I’m like 99% fine, but there are times I need a little help getting up on the good leg or that I have stumbled on the crutches and put it down to catch myself.
  • Using the time to do my doctoral course work.

Looking forward to:

  • Showering. I ordered a shower stool and already have the cast bag (again, thank you Dennis!).
  • My appointment today to hear how things are going.
  • Putting on some real clothes, some make-up, and leaving the house.
  • Seeing my daughter’s show(s) this week.


  • My appointment tomorrow- that I might not be doing well, hearing that I will need more than two more weeks off from work.
  • Going back to work. I won’t be able to drive for yikes, at least four weeks I would think. I have having to have someone pick me up and bring me home, though I feel lucky there are quite a few teachers who live nearby and that they are so awesome. But I’m principal of two schools and am used to going between them. That’s going to have to change. Also I’m right smack int the time window of the PSSA’s (state standardized tests). There is so. much. prep. that has to happen. Different admins are covering my schools now, it’s just equally hard to imagine having someone else do the prep-work/administration of the tests OR being there to do it. Kind of a no-win.
  • The shows. Sitting that long for 5 straight shows is going to be so hard-going to try to organize a better seat for as many as I can to see if I can find a way to elevate. I’ve never missed a performance of hers, though, and don’t plan on it now. Also explaining what happened. People are so sweet and kind, but also very curious and love to give advice.
  • PT. Especially if I can’t drive there.

Thanks for listening! It’s after 5:00 now so maybe I’ll go back to sleep.

6 Responses to “Can’t Sleep.”

  1. Hey Jenn,

    Hang in there. I’m 16 days post surgery - in my second cast which is supposed to come off in 10 more days (who’s counting exactly?). I feel your pain in the helplessness department. I have my wife thank goodness to do most of the things around our house and property. I’m one of those really independent guys who actually does a lot of things around the house (cooking, cleaning…), so being unable to do my share really messes with my head. Sitting in my recliner most of the day is just wrecking me mentally. I’m still going to work, but even there I am not able to do my full share - and that really makes me upset. I guess we just have to get over it and do the best we can. I’m hoping that when this cast comes off and I can get in a boot that I’ll be able to be a bit more independent.

    The cast bag has worked great for me when showering. There is nothing better than that clean feeling after the shower knowing that your cast is safe. I feel like I could sit in there all day.

    The sleeping should get better. Sitting around all day really messes with that. Once I was more mobile, getting back to work, and doing more “normal” activities got my body tired and I was able to sleep better. The cast doesn’t even bother me any more when turning around under the covers.

    I didn’t realize what a mental challenge ATR recovery is at the beginning. Others have said this is the worst time and I have to agree. Hang in there. Chris

  2. Yeah life gets much much better pretty quickly in the boot. You almost miss it when you get back to 2 shoes and shuffling. Non-weight bearing with crutches is a massive pain, but thankfully with modern protocols doesn’t actually last that long!

  3. Hello morcs,
    I couldn’t tell exactly from you blog, but did you have to use crutches when you went from NWB to FWB in the boot. I will be out of the cast and into the boot in 10 more days and was wondering if I’m going to need a crutch or whether I’ll be able to “shuffle around” in the boot by itself.

  4. Yes definitely to start with, but you can get off them pretty quickly. There’s a series of videos I found very helpful for the transitions to 1 and then no crutches - search for DrMichelleWolford on YouTube.

  5. Thanks guys. I have to admit I get pretty freaked out about the many weeks not driving.

  6. hey Jenn - I practiced driving with my left foot before surgery. So once I don’t have to elevate 22 hours of the day I plan on driving my self with my left foot. It’s pretty easy and since I’m not on narcotic meds the only thing standing in my way is hubby - LOL. He’s convinced I’ll get in an accident and delay my recovery.

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash