Jul 10 2012

Doing the Happy Dance at 16 weeks!

Published by jenniferanderson at 1:35 pm under Uncategorized

Ok, I’m not exactly Shuffling or jumping up and down with joy physically, but in my mind I am. :-) I thought I was happy to reach 12 weeks! Now at 16 weeks I am breathing a big sigh of relief. From what I have read on this blog the risk of rerupture is now very low. I know it still happens, but rarely.
I am now in 2 shoes almost full time. I put the boot on, on Saturday, as we were going to be a doing a lot of walking, some of it on uneven ground. Yesterday I went to the grocery store, without the boot, for the first time. I made my son walk behind me though, as the thought of someone hitting my ankle with their shopping cart is terrifying. I still walk slowly and with a small limp, but it is getting better everyday. I am able to do a water aerobics class 3 - 4 times a week which I LOVE! My husband also dragged in my punching bag from the garage into the house. We have reached 100 degree weather here and working out in the garage in that heat was not going to happen, lol. I really miss my kickboxing class, so having that bag in the house has really been good for me.
I am very tired of having to wear tennis shoes with the lifts and can’t wait to start weaning off of those. I miss flip flops!! I can walk barefoot around the house, but with a big limp. I need the lifts to walk without a limp. How long did it take most people to be able to walk barefoot without a limp? I’d love to hear from anyone on this subject.

10 Responses to “Doing the Happy Dance at 16 weeks!”

1. hillieon 10 Jul 2012 at 2:01 pm

Hi Jennifer

I like the punch bag idea - gets rid of some of the frustration as well as help the stamina and get some strength back. No problem with the temperature here (except that it is too cold) as it is barely in the 60’s.

Bare foot walking began at about week 9 or 10 but, at week 19 now, I still have a bit of a limp much of the time, in bare feet or shoes, depending on how stiff my AT is, but getting better. I sometimes use Fit Flops open sandals which are really comfy - expensive for a pair of flip flops but have a bit more of a wedge shape to the sole.

Good idea to keep the boot handy for those more hazardous places - mine is in the car, along with the crutches which I haven’t used for ages now (not tempting fate, am I?).

2. kimjaxon 10 Jul 2012 at 4:24 pm

Jennifer - no advice, just reading your 16 week milestone with envy!! Congrats on getting there injury free. The grocery store never sounded so exciting - two shoes - wow! Thanks for sharing.

3. Scotton 10 Jul 2012 at 9:39 pm

Jennifer - I missed my kickboxing class to, so I went back. Nice to hear about the H2O classes. I would love to do water aerobics but I swim like a rock so I think I’ll stick to my karate & kickboxing. Keep working hard and you’ll get there.

It took me almost a week of focused work to walk barefoot without a limp. I set my alarm 20 minutes early and before I got out of bed I would do leg lifts, bicycle kicks, leg circles and gentle rom exercises for 10 minutes. Then I would sit up & do some heel raises and more gentle stretches. Finally I would stand up and walk forward 5 - 6 steps while focusing in how my good foot/ankle moved. I would then focus on making the ATR foot move & “feel” the same. Then I would walk backwards & do the same thing. I did this about 8 times every morning for about a week before I could walk without a limp.

Blessings & I’ll keep praying for everyone’s healing.
    Scott (aka: Skutr)

4. doryton 11 Jul 2012 at 5:34 pm

Hi jennifer,
    Sounds like your recovery is progressing along quite good. I know what you mean about having your son walk behind you at the store. I think I have developed a sixth scense (eyes in my butt) to watch behind me. Since I don’t have kids to help out. Hubby is great but he price checks everything and the store takes twice as long with him.
    We become so protective of our injured achilles that we have a invisible caution sign hanging around our ankle. I wore my boot at random times until my 4th to 5th month. We were vactioning so I used it as a precautionary measure. This recovery is so time consuming that I just quit writing my dialog. I charted EVERY little thing in my “healing book” up until March. It’s hard to recall when I started barefoot walking. Pretty much barefoot walked when I ditched the boot (January) only around the house. I walked with a limp that would not quit. Just kept on retraining my brain. Trying SO hard to get the fluid motion going again. Think I started doing alot more 80-90% of barefoot walking inside and outside in April when I finished with the skin grafts.
    I’m not sure what the correct protocol is for improving our walk, barefoot verses 1″ to 1/2″ heel raise in a shoe or sandel to get the proper stretch, heel toe and gait movements. At 8, NO 9 months I am still improving on the barefoot walk. Most of the time no limp at all. I can run barefoot. My foot is not sensative to much any longer. I can wak on my gravel walkways, uneven terrain etc. Whereas, in the beginning if I stepped on A feather I could feel it! Still I have some days that are better than others. This is such a unique and unpredicable recovery. Honestly when I hit 5 months and really got into this blog reading and learning, I told myself, “Self” do not to beat up on yourself and be in such a darn hurry. I tweaked my lifestyle some what. Still get many great workouts in but not so many days a week. IF it takes 1 year , 18 months I am OK because I want 110%. I miss being quick! Can do most anything but with a hesitation as I am always thinking about my AT. Lately I am focusing on calf strength and see some muscle coming back. Up to 10 hell raises unassited.
    I think the wierdest thing I have going on lately is that my ankle gets really cold and feels like the blood is boiling but freezing. Go figure it’s 100 degrees today. Must be circulation hormones. LOL
    Take care and enjoy the kickboxing! Be careful!

5. jenniferandersonon 12 Jul 2012 at 3:40 pm

Hillie - I have never heard of Fit Flops. I’m going to look into those. I need something comfortable, with a slight heel to walk in. it’s just too hot for tennis shoes every day. Besides, they don’t go very well with sundresses.
    Scott - Thanks for the pointers! I never thought about walking backwards. I’m going to try it right away.
    Dory - Glad to hear that I’m not the only one who talks to herself. :-D I too miss being fast. I’m one of those people who walk fast all the time. I hate getting stuck behind slow people. Last summer we went to NY for the first time and the first time we went walking in the city I remember thinking, “These are my people!” They know where they’re going and they want to get there fast. Now I’m the slow person everyone is trying to get around. Sigh. It won’t last forever, I know. Stay cool! The heat and humidity today is awful!

6. two4heels!on 12 Jul 2012 at 5:03 pm

Hi - Thought I’d say how good it was to read about any sort of shoes being worn!!! I am less than two weeks into my injury (full rupture but closely aligned) and so very unhappy! I am back to hospital tomorrow morning for a fifth plaster cast to be fitted - I was advised a non surgical procedure as I am also a type1 insulin dependent diabetic!!! Is it normal to be so tearful in the early stages? My biggest concern is when can I get back to work, as I had just secured a short term secondment. I had assumed that I would be off for the first 6 weeks of non-weight bearing and able to go back in my seventh week. Do I need to rethink? I have never known anyone with this injury, so I’m really struggling to plan ahead. Feeling pleased to have found a positive and supportive site!

7. jenniferandersonon 12 Jul 2012 at 5:40 pm

two4heels! - Of course it is normal to be tearful in the early stages. You have a long road ahead of you ( not trying to be negative, just realistic ). I was NWB for 4 weeks at which point I got the boot and was PWB for a week and a half before I ditched the crutches. Luckily I do not work outside of the home, so going back to work was not an issue for me. I have read other peoples blogs about going back to work earlier than the 7th week though. If I did work outside the home, I would have been able to go back at the 4 week mark. That’s about when the swelling, and the toes turning purple when I put my foot down started getting better. I hope this helps! Cruise around this sight and read lots of blogs. I know that really helped me in the early stages. Keep us posted on your progress!

8. two4heels!on 12 Jul 2012 at 6:21 pm

Thank you for your speedy response…it’s helping me to feel better already! Was good to read up with regards to work. I am a deputy headteacher (think that’s a vice principal in the USA) and really want to take the opportunity in September at a different local school. Everyone is being understanding but I want to give the new headteacher a realistic overview. I think the most frustrating part for me is that (even with my type1 diabetes) I was always really fit and then just over a year ago I had unexpected major surgery and prior to the surgery was prescribed ‘ofloxacin’ - since my AT rupture I have learnt that tendon damage can be a long lasting side affect …apparently in the USA the medicaton has a black box warning (whatever that means but sounds important!).
    It’s good to read the positives of the recovery process and I shall certainly keep logging on and posting. Wishing you continued success and progress.

9. Xploraon 14 Jul 2012 at 12:45 am

two4wheels - September is a long way from July and if you follow a more modern rehab protocol then there is certainly no reason why you should not be able to return to work as long as you can get some time to keep your leg elevated. One of the best things would be for you to get into a walking cast or a boot as soon as you are able. Early weight bearing has worked for many of us and the research is tending that way. Although I went the surgical route, the rehab is almost the same for both. I was FWB in a month. My elderly father did his after me and went non-op. He was FWB in a boot from day one and has had no ill affects. He went to 2 shoes in 7 weeks. Check out the resident non-op expert Normofthenorth and view the protocols from the Canadian study. It is also very normal to be emotional in the first few weeks. Life has been turned upside down and the extent of the injury is just sinking in. It does get better and you will see more hope in the future. Take the time to look at your life thus far and see what and who are important. There have been so many good things come out of this injury for me. Mostly to do with personal strength, patience etc. Keep your mind busy and maybe try to learn something new. Exercise unaffected limbs if you can.

Jennifer - Well done with the 2 shoes and well done looking out for others here.

10. two4heels!on 14 Jul 2012 at 7:10 pm

Hi - thanks for all the good advice - including the tip to view Normofthenorth - I think it is helping to gather more info ready for my appointment next week… There is talk of my equine plaster being on for 6 weeks, which does seem much longer than most of the more recent advice (and with absolutely NWB). Maybe I’ve been told that so if they whip it off earlier it will be a lovely surprise! I will have conversations regarding FWB - I know I can’t rush things but am keen to be doing everything that I possibly can to take things forward….and know that may mean resting and relaxing, when appropriate! I have a few goals already, which I am hoping are realistic including: dancing with my partner at Christmas (I need to add this is not competative, more social swaying in the party season!!!) and skiing next April. It has really encouraged me reading about others and their positive two shoe milestone moments.