Apr 23 2012

Color me HAPPY!!

Published by jenniferanderson at 12:28 pm under Uncategorized

Back in January I registered for a 5K called The Color Run, with some friends. The first thing I said after the Dr told me what I’d done and how long it would take to recover was, “But I’m doing a 5k in April”. He said, “No you’re not”. And I remember thinking…yes I am. Well, I did it! In my wheelchair, but still. It was the most fun I’ve had since my ATR journey began. People there were very encouraging and I got a lot of “Good for you!!”, which made me feel great. Have a great week everyone!

14 Responses to “Color me HAPPY!!”

1. jenniferandersonon 23 Apr 2012 at 12:31 pm

I attached a couple of pictures but they don’t show and I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. :-(
    They throw colored powder at you during the run and you end up looking like a beautiful tie dyed mess at the end. It was awesome!

2. jenniferandersonon 23 Apr 2012 at 12:42 pm

Well, I managed to get part of my boot pictured as the header, but I can’t get the whole picture to post in my update. Very frustrating. Oh,well. I had my boot wrapped in a white shirt and you can probably imagine what the rest of me looked like from my header. :-D

3. victorialyn12on 23 Apr 2012 at 2:19 pm

You’re awesome!!! This made me so happy to read. Hopefully you can figure out how to add more pictures and if you do, let me know :-) Congrats and good for you for being so determined to not let the injury stop you, I think it’ll give a lot of readers an extra boost for the day!

4. ericbabulaon 23 Apr 2012 at 9:21 pm

Congrats on getting your 5K done! It’s fun to read about such successes!

5. normofthenorthon 24 Apr 2012 at 1:04 am

About every 3-6 months, somebody else tries and fails to upload some photos here! I hope somebody else can give you all the tips, but I know that achillesblog.com/chocolata/2010/03/08/i-can-insert-a-photo-in-my-post-at-last/ has one way (from 2 years ago!).
    Good luck with the photos and the leg!

6. eastcoastrunneron 24 Apr 2012 at 9:09 am

Oh, I loved reading this! Good for you on “where there is a will, there is a way!”
    I’m missing a whole bunch of trail races I had registered for and will instead be a Volunteer working the timing and registration for them. Not as much fun as running, but still get to be a part of the fun! I’m glad you had so much fun.

7. jenniferandersonon 24 Apr 2012 at 11:44 am

Thanks for the tip, Norm. I tried it and my picture took up the whole page eventhough I clicked “small” for picture size. Oh, well I have more important things to concentrate on. My Dr wanted me at FWB by today (one week after starting PWB). This is just not happening. I still can’t put more than 50% of my weight on the leg without my heel and ankle hurting. When I start to put more pressure on the foot my toes turn purple and I feel like they are going to pop from all the pressure. Is this normal? Should I push through the pain and continue to put more pressure on my foot? I don’t want to rush it, but I don’t want to baby it either.

Eastcoast - Yes! Getting out there and being part of the fun any way you can is great! My sons school recently had a walk a thon to raise money for the school. I went and stood on the sidelines to be a cheerleader and encourage the kids. It was great to be out there helping in my own way.

8. rosethornon 24 Apr 2012 at 4:42 pm

Jennifer,

First off– congratulations! That is amazing of you :) You must have some tough arms too! I had quite a time trying to push myself down the street in a wheelchair, let alone 5k. Secondly, the picture thingie is soooo trial and error; keep at it! Thirdly, get used to this thing hurting for awhile! It’s expected… Remember how bad it hurt when you injured it? That was an acute instance; the pain you’re experiencing now is a chronic symptom, meaning it is present for a longer period of time.

I’ve had every sensation from knives in the sole of my foot to my heel literally feeling like it was on fire, accompanied by extreme edema around the ankle and the front of my foot (inhibiting dorsiflexion). It all passes! One of the biggest barriers for me is not connecting the pain reaction to a rupture. It’s a very guarded area, and for good reason! I’ve tried a lot of therapeutic avenues that have worked very well, if you would like to know any of them. In the meanwhile, good luck!

9. laughitupfuzzballon 25 Apr 2012 at 12:21 am

Congratulations to you Jennifer! Keep on pushing and never give up.

10. normofthenorthon 25 Apr 2012 at 12:33 am

I’d go at a speed that seems comfortable. My fave protocol (”UWO”) spends 2 whole weeks at PWB, then goes to “FWB as tolerated”, which usually adds a few more days to the 2 weeks. With ~50% FWB after 1 week PWB, you’re right about on their schedule. They got great results with and without surgery, so I don’t think it hurts to be that gradual.

I’ve never loaded a photo on this site myself, sorry no help. But if you entered relevant words into the search field at the top of the main page, you’d likely get your answer. Or let us just WISH we could see the photos! (Another approach that works is to load them up on Webshots or some other photo website, and post a link here.)

11. ultrarunning316on 26 Apr 2012 at 3:43 am

Tremendous! Love to race!!! I agree keep being part of that community, there is no reason to separate yourself…Where there’s a will there’s a way. I stay in contact with my running friends even tho it makes me homesick, so to speak, it also helps me to stay in touch with my passion. Makes that goal tangible! Thanks for posting, that looked like a rad race! Of course I wouldn’t be able to wear my fav running gear! :)

12. jenniferandersonon 26 Apr 2012 at 11:46 am

Ultrarunning - Good luck with your upcoming Big Sur Marathon!

Norm - I have decided to set my FWB goal for next Tuesday (2 weeks post op) This seems a much more attainable goal for me. I am slowly getting better at walking with the crutches with more weight on my bad foot. The only thing is that I have to concentrate really hard on how I place my foot. I am pigeon toed and walking with my foot straight is somewhat difficult as I am used to my toes slightly pointing in. I just need to practice, practice, practice!

13. jimminycon 27 Apr 2012 at 3:53 am

A great blog entry Jennifer, very inspiring and congrats on completing the 5K!

14. sirpoweron 28 Apr 2012 at 3:32 pm

Hey Jennifer,

This is how I post pics.

1) Add a new pic under the media section.
    2) Once it is added click “View”. This should bring you to a new page.
    3) Click on the pic which should take you to a full page with the pic. Copy the url.
    4) Go back to your post and click “Edit”. Make sure you are under the html tab.
    5) There should be a button at the top called “Link”. Click that and paste the url you just copied and press ok.
    6) That’s it. It should have posted a hyperlink in your comments box which will take you to the pic. I prefer this method as it doesn’t matter what size pic you use.

Hope this helps,