Apr 17 2012

Cleared for takeoff!!…partially.

Published by jenniferanderson at 7:28 pm under Uncategorized

Today was a very very good day!! Today was my 4 week post op checkup. Dr. said everything looks good, incision healing nicely, etc. Then he says I can start partial weight bearing, in the boot, putting 50% of my weight on the booted leg. He says do that for one week and then go to FWB. Two weeks after that he wants me to come in and he’ll decide if I’m ready for two shoes and PT. I was originally told I would be PWB for 3 weeks and FWB for 3 before taking the boot off. Condensing it all into 3 weeks seems a bit fast, but we’ll see what happens. So far I am only putting maybe 25% of my weight onto the leg. I was really nervous to take my first step, but once I did it got easier! If I’m not at FWB by next Tuesday that’s OK. I am NOT rushing this. Right now I am just over the moon that I am allowed to take my boot off while I sit on the couch. He said I could take it off sleeping too, but I’m to nervous I’ll get up and forget to put my boot on before walking. Hope everyone is having a wonderful day!

11 Responses to “Cleared for takeoff!!…partially.”

1. smanuel23on 17 Apr 2012 at 10:07 pm

Nice positive update, you are 3 weeks ahead of me so it’s good to read about your experience in getting rid of the cast and into a boot. Be careful but enjoy your next challenges.

2. ericbabulaon 17 Apr 2012 at 11:33 pm

Awesome!!! Isn’t it great to get those little surprises?!?!!

I couldn’t sleep with the boot on. I took it off when laying around on the couch, and when sleeping. I never had an issue getting up and trying to walk w/o the boot. And, I’m always in a fog when I get up!

Keep up the good work!

3. Januson 18 Apr 2012 at 12:15 am

Sounds great! Getting into the boot, a huge milestone. I was so happy to be even partially mobile, and knowing that my time on crutches was ending soon.

I agree w/ Eric. You won’t forget to put in on if you wake up at 3AM or whatever. So no worries.

All best!

4. ryanbon 18 Apr 2012 at 12:09 pm

I found that the weight of the covers put a little stress on the injury- so it took me a while to work up to sleeping all night with my foot “free”. I started out in the early morning- sometimes I’d wake up perhaps an hour or two before I had to get out of bed. So, I’d take the boot (or, in my case, my splint) off, and spend that last bit of time with it free. The first few times, I probably didn’t even get back to sleep- but it sure felt great to have it free.

Sometimes before going to sleep, I’d lay there for a bit watching TV with it free too. One of those nights, I fell asleep, and slept through the night. That was the best night of sleep I’d had in weeks, and I never looked back from there- slept with it free from then on. I made that transition very early- I was boot free sleeping starting at 17 days post surgery.

Sometimes in the middle of the night, we all have to get up and make a quick jaunt to the bathroom. If you’re sleeping free- it’s very tempting to just grab the crutches and make that trip without taking the time to put the boot on. I’ll admit to doing that most of the time, but won’t recommend it ;-). What I will recommend is getting yourself a night-light; how ever many you need - to illuminate your pathway. With or without the boot, the last thing you want to do is catch your crutch on laundry, pillows, shoes, etc., and re-injure yourself. It’s cheap insurance. Months later, retiring those nightlights turned out to be a surprisingly significant milestone for me.

5. starshepon 18 Apr 2012 at 2:46 pm

ryanb:

As an alternative to nightlights, I got myself an LED headlamp. I put some red transparent plastic wrap over the lens so it wouldn’t hurt my night vision. It lights up just where I am going so I don’t have to worry about any areas not being covered by the nightlights. And it really looks cool when I’ve seen myself in the mirror. The only thing I worry about is that my wife might wake up and think some clumsy monster with one red eye is skulking around the bedroom. LOL

6. jenniferandersonon 18 Apr 2012 at 3:41 pm

LMAO!!! Starshep, I just died laughing. Oh my gosh, thank you for that mental image. :-D Here’s what I do, so I can see my way to the bathroom….I turn on the lamp by my bed! My husband jumped out of bed the first few weeks to follow behind me. I guess he was worried I’d fall, but now he just sleeps through it. I have decided to keep the boot on while I sleep for at least another week as I don’t have any problem sleeping with it on. In fact, I sleep better since the injury than I did before, which is really strange. Maybe the stress of dealing with this injury causes my mind to just shut down at night. Or maybe it’s because I’m just worn out at the end of the day from “crutching” around. Anyway, my husband said last night, “You are not taking that boot off to sleep! You don’t want to re-injure yourself and start all over again.”. Poor guy, he certainly has had a reality check as to how much I do around the house on a daily basis and I can tell he’s getting worn out from going to work and then coming home to make dinner, do the laundry, do the grocery shopping, etc etc. But, now that I’m PWB I am finding I can do a lot more. Just the fact that I can put two feet on the floor while I stand in the kitchen has made a big impact on what I am able to do. It’s also put me in a better frame of mind. I feel like I’m actively progressing in my recovery instead of just sitting around waiting for recovery to happen. I look forward to the next milestones. They don’t seem to be as far away as they did just a couple of days ago.
    Oh, and whenever I need a good laugh I’ll picture a “clumsy monster with one red eye skulking around”. Hahaha!

7. Harleyladys'badluckon 19 Apr 2012 at 10:59 pm

Hi Jennifer, so happy you’re moving along with recovery. Wish I could say same. I’m at 10 weeks since 2nd repair and 2 weeks since I got staph. Been wearing a wound vac since the clean out. With no sutures holding my tendon, I’m somewhat like a non op. They only thing lately is my attitude has surprising calmed. I guess it’s a reality that I still have a long way to go. That I’m in my busy season with my business. I started shopping for a Harley trike, I have come to terms that I’m never going to be able to hold my my 800lb Harley. With trike I’ll still have that freedom of open road without the fear of reinjury.
    Go
    Going back to Doc next tues, hoping to get rid of this vac I’m carrying around. Maybe slowly I’ll get into boot with heel lifts. Anyone interested in my bad luck story and set backs I’ve dealt with here is my blog: http://harleyladysbadluck.blogspot.com/

8. jimminycon 20 Apr 2012 at 8:23 am

Hi Jennifer, this is great news, sounds like things are great with your recovery. As you say, no need to rush too much, just being able to take the boot off while sitting and sleeping is an awesome feeling. Sleeping without the boot is strange, but when I wake I seem to have a good ROM in my ankle, maybe I exercise it in my dreams (those dreams I have where I am running, or cycling,or swimming, or just moving faster than a 1mph hobble!).

All the best with your continued recovery.

Note to self: Buy red transparent plastic for my LED headlamp…

9. doryton 21 Apr 2012 at 12:13 am

That’s great progress Jennifer! Hope all goes well kissing your foot to the ground. You will experience all little kinds of feelings as you wake the foot up! I’ll bust out 50 burpees for ya!

10. Lorylon 23 Apr 2012 at 4:44 pm

I am now 4 weeks and 3 days post op. I have the bootcast on for 2 more weeks. I asked my dr. if I will need to have physical therapy after 6 weeks and he said “no, we’ll just see how you do walking.” I guess if I have pain, he will let me go through some therapy, but other than that, I guess I’m on my own. Has anyone else heard of this? Just doing it on your own?

11. starshepon 23 Apr 2012 at 9:28 pm

Loryl:

I’m 9 weeks since my ATR and just started PT 2 weeks ago. Having gone through 3 sessions, I really can’t imagine recovering with out it. There may be some that can but the guidance a good therapist can provide seems very valuable. You still have to do the exercises at home but it sure helps to have someone who can show you the proper techniques and give you the right pacing. I have yet to walk in 2 shoes but apparently you lose some muscle memory after being in a cast for a while and have to regain it. And of course if you don’t do it right, you could wind up back with a rerupture. I’d definitely recommend getting at least a few PT sessions.