Mar 20 2012

Home Sweet Home

Published by jenniferanderson at 11:19 pm under Uncategorized

Had surgery today. I was terrified about the whole thing, but went much more smoothly than I anticipated. I am not in very much pain and resting comfortably, watching cartoons with the kids. Just wanted to share that in case someone out there is worried about their upcoming surgery. It is definitely not a fun experience, but you can do it! Ok. That’s all for today. The Vicodin is carrying me off to la la land…

13 Responses to “Home Sweet Home”

1. Lindaon 20 Mar 2012 at 11:47 pm

I too ruptured my Achilles at cross fit round six on the box jumps. What a bummer, had surgery a week ago.
    I wish you well.

2. ericbabulaon 21 Mar 2012 at 8:05 am

Jennifer - Welcome, unfortunately, to the club. Hope you keep coming back here to share your stories, and to learn from some of the people who are ahead of you in the recovery process!

For now, rest up, read, and enjoy the meds! It’s a long haul, but we’re all gonna get there!

3. truckeron 21 Mar 2012 at 9:33 am

I am a crossfitter also..or atleast was a crossfitter..I am about 3 weeks post op…not only can we talk about our ATR and recovery, but also our Fran and Filthy Fifty times….I am glad to hear your surgery went well….if you need some inspiration check out lisbeth crossfit..just google her blog..very motivational.

4. truckeron 21 Mar 2012 at 9:44 am

Just a question regarding recovery..I am 3 weeks post op…PWB moving to full weight bearing over the next week. I am in a boot at 90 degrees and doing gentle ROM exercises….so…should I have very mild pain with the PT and starting the weight bearing, or is that an indicator of doing too much? Also when I go back in a week for my 4week post op dr. Is likely to put me in a stirrup splint full weight bearing…this seems all very aggressive from what I read on here…doc says I am young(36yo) I laugh, but that I am also in great shape and I should be fine..make me nervouse though…what do you guys think.

5. ryanbon 21 Mar 2012 at 10:05 am

Trucker-
    My schedule was PWB at 3 weeks, FWB at 4 weeks, 2-shoes at 5.5 weeks. So, your protocol aligns closely with my experience. That said, this is an aggressive protocol, and it carries some risk- going to two shoes that early leaves you more vulnerable to a re-rupture… but (I think) there are some important benefits too.
    As for pain level- I’d say you want to push things hard enough to “feel it”; but don’t be too aggressive with anything this early. I avoided almost all passive dorsi-flexion for quite a few more weeks. You’ve got to learn to recognize the difference between it hurting; and *hurting* it :-)
    Reading through the earlier entries in my blog might provide guidance on what to expect in the next weeks/months on this protocol (I’m at almost 7 months now)-

6. Januson 21 Mar 2012 at 7:21 pm

Jen, good luck at home. & please let / make people do things for you! For the first 10 days or so, give yourself the best chance to just let the body recover — with no risk of re-injury.

7. doryton 22 Mar 2012 at 4:07 pm

Hi jennifer,
    I just saw your posts. There are so many new people on the blog since January. I have been silent for some time as I had family company all of Jan & Feb. I am just a bit over 6 months. Complete Rupture Box Jumps @ CF too. 2 months with complications that resulted in a skin graft. So Really take it easy the first week or two after surgery. I see you are in Fontana. I live in Lake Elsinore. You are most likely in great physical shape since you are doing CF. You will be doing some great one legged squats on the porcelin throne. Ha ha hang in there Jennifer. Stay focused on your recovery there is alot of good people and facts here.

8. jenniferandersonon 22 Mar 2012 at 5:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your support. I am letting people do things for me, eventhough it is hard for me to sit still. I do not want to risk re injuring myself! @doryt, that is hilarious! I was just telling my husband how good I am at one legged squats and how I haven’t let my injured leg hit the floor once! :-D

9. doryton 22 Mar 2012 at 11:31 pm

LOL Jennifer

10. jimminycon 23 Mar 2012 at 11:55 am

Jennifer, glad to hear your surgery went okay, keep your chin up and as Janus said, allow people to do stuff for you, it helps!

11. doryton 23 Mar 2012 at 11:25 pm

Hey Jennifer,
    How is your 3rd? day going? Day 1 for me I realized I never sit for 10 minutes at a stint and really had to force myself to stay down. Once I sat I wanted something over there! Actually, right now as I speak, I am finally sitting down after a long day working in the yard and going for a dog walk. Just wanted to throw this at you…I was at the Goodwill by my house today and they had a really nice walker with seat. It was 40.00 red anodized aluminum lightweight one. I have a appoint at Kaiser Ontario on Mon. and could get it and bring it to you if you want. If they still have it.

12. jenniferandersonon 24 Mar 2012 at 12:53 pm

You got to take your dog for a walk? Show off. :-P. I know I’ll get there someday. Sitting still is very hard for me but I’m getting the hang of it. I really enjoy cooking for my family so I miss being in the kitchen. My husband has taken over cooking duties and my kids run and fetch things for me. It’ll be easier once I pass the first 10 days and can stop elevating my leg all day. Thank you so much for offering to bring me a walker! That is above and beyond what I expected by way of support from this sight. :-) I am fortunate in that I have a borrowed wheelchair. I also have a knee walker on the way, which I am very excited about. It is red, my favorote color. Hope your appointment goes well on Monday!

13. doryton 24 Mar 2012 at 11:22 pm

Cool so 2 modes of transportaion ya got! I had a hard time with the wheelchair in the house with tight quarters & wished I had got the knee walker. Got really good on the crutches HATE THEM and doing the twist and leap frogging around the house. Having travertine floors made it really easy to scoot and twist in my fuzzy socks (sock) I just got really PO’s at the crutches at times. Kept me strong and worked the core. No brag about the dog walk at all. It takes me over an hour to walk 1 mile slow in 3 inch wedge shoes concentrationg to walk without limping. I do OK in a Birkenstok sandel it has just enough of a heel lift. It has really only been since 2/29 that I tossed the crutches to the garage.
    Take care and you will find some good in this sitting around we all must go through. You will get very creative with one leg, figure your kitchen out and soon be in the groove. have a good weekend, the rains a comin!