Janet’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

12 weeks, 40 two leg heel raises…still & Spin class

Filed under: Uncategorized — janet at 12:16 pm on Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Quote of the Day:

my body could stand the crutches but my mind couldn’t stand the sideline….michael jordan

So, It’s been officially 12 weeks since “the incident”. People keep telling me how fast it seems to have  gone by…LOL Are you kidding me! It seems like forever. I will agree that some of it is fading into the background…but it’s been a long haul.

I was at physio today and they let me skip my 5 minutes on the exercise bike…..LOL..I asked them what the point was because I’m already doing 25-30 min at the gym or some other cardio machine plus I have been doing spin classes. The spin classes are going well although standing is difficult and hurts…but each time I go I try and stand a little longer…..the hardest part is trusting the AT repair. In the back of my mind I hear that snap.

I am now doing 40 heel raises (two leg) still….ok…I know it’s only been a week  but I have asked when I can do the ones where your heels hang off something and then you raise. My PT hates me I think….I keep asking “when can I” . I am also chasing down the elusive 1 leg heel raise….gotta have goals and that’s one of mine. I am using the leg press machine and do each leg individually so that the AT leg is forced to work. I pressed 90 lbs with the AT leg. I have increased the weight on my dead lifts and squats and I’m now doing squats using a 40lb bar(before the ATR I was doing 110 lbs) and straight leg dead lifts using 45 lbs. I could use heavier but it’s more of a balance issue at the moment as the AT leg still wants to let good leg do all the work but it’s coming along well. I still can’t do lunges back and front…but tonight I am going to try lateral lunges with weight….I tested those out the other  day. My PT has said that I can now put two feet on the ground to do my pushups but I may stick with one leg for those as it’s harder and better for my core. I cannot wait for the day when I can do a cardio kickbox class.

I’m amazed at how much the swelling has gone down….I saw an ankle bone the other day….since my reflexology massage…even the pain is less and I’m walking much better….although when I try to take my usual long stride my AT leg says “nope”….stairs are still awkward but the other day I was going down and almost forgot about AT….it’s weird how you can forget and be normal. Things do happen though, to remind you that you are still not recovered…..like cats sneaking out to fight with other cats and you have to go tearing out of your house in your bathrobe and bare feet in freezing weather to chase your idiotic cat and you realize you can’t run…….so the whole time you are hoping your cat just stands still until you can reach her. My cat and my AT survived.

With Friday being a holiday, I thought for sure I would have to do my Friday physio on Thursdaybecause that’s what happened the last time  but they excused me so I only had to go 2x this week….I’m assuming it’s because of my progress.

I picked up a gel pack so that I can ice at work and that seems to be helping quite a bit.

All in all, it’s going well and….for all you ladies….I did sneak and where sexy heels one day….my feet were so excited!!!

Have a wonderful day everyone and happy healing

10 Comments »

117

Comment by crossfitmike

April 20, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

Wow, you’re in tremendous shape and recovering very fast!

118

Comment by janet

April 20, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

Thanks Mike

I have been working really hard and as I’ve said right from the beginning….I can’t do anything about the injury but I can do everything about my attitude!!!

119

Comment by hjacobs

April 28, 2011 @ 12:43 am

Good for you, I am in my air cast now, and I am hitting the pool on Friday, and as soon as I can put some weight on my leg I will start using the bike at the gym. My goal is the Maui Marathon on Sept. 18 2012. LOL, I missed out on 3 event I had planned this year, so for my 55th birthday, I am going to do a marathon and do it big. Actually first choice is the New york marathon for 2012 but if i don’t get in i am going to Maui.

harry

120

Comment by Deana

May 15, 2011 @ 11:33 am

Hi from Vancouver Janet,

It seems like you are moving on with your life now — which gives me some hope. I have just spent the better part of an hour with your blog and I have loved (and hated) it. What a lot of work you’ve done. I am 11 days post-incident, and nine days post-surgery. Very prone to unprovoked bouts of weepiness.

I guess it’s still sinking in. I’m 40, mom to two small boys, I work 30 hours/week as a writer and editor and I’m a pretty active yogi/runner/hiker/snowboarder. I did this to myself in a dance class. In a past life (20 years ago) I trained with the Royal Winnipeg Ballet, and a few times per year I still get the urge to take class. Not such a hot idea, I guess. It’s my right AT, so no driving. It will be a long time before I can get back to any semblance of my life.

Your story feels most in line with mine (Active, working mom) Reading your blog has inspired me, depressed me, answered a lot of my questions.

So really, just one more thing: are you back in heels?

121

Comment by janet

May 15, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

Thank you so much for your comments Deanna

May I just say that you are perfectly normal in how you are feeling….I’ve learned that this is a frustrating and what feels like an “all encompassing” injury. This site is a great place to vent, discuss and rejoice over little victories along the road to recovery….we’ve all been where you are.

I think I mentioned a weekend crying jag and there were other moments along the way as well. I can say with assurance it does get better.

Wow the Royal Winnipeg Ballet….something to be very proud of….congrats on that. A foot injury in my 20’s ended any hope of continuing to dance….that was a bit devastating.

May I just add here that you did not do this to yourself…it is an unfortunate event that happened to you. When mine ruptured, people kept saying “that’s why I don’t work out” and all kinds of things…even blaming my personal trainer…which was ridiculous as we were doing everything right…it just happened and I’ve learned that, most likely, it was going to happen at some point…could have been walking up the stairs or walking my dog…but it would have happened….I did nothing to make it happen.

I hated the loss of independance as far as driving goes….mine happened in bad weather so even though I could have driven anywhere…once I got where I was going trying to navigate ice and snow on crutches was next to impossible.

Writer and Editor….my dream jobs….I am a voracious reader and studied journalism in college…LOL…a million years ago.

Deanna, there is so much I want to say to you. I can say with confidence it will get better…you are at the worst part of it…so hang in there and celebrate everything!!!! I’ll never forget the first time I got out of the bathtub by myself….honestly, I celebrated every step along the way.

I need to update my blog with the latest news on my journey but an uncle in hospice care and my mom’s 2nd knee replacement have taken up a bit of time.

For the record….I have been wearing heels….LOL..I’m sure that they are not physio therapist approved…but honestly…my feet were begging me….how could I refuse? It felt great to be girly again.

I look forward to hearing about your own journey Deanna….and as I said this site is a great place to help you along the way.

122

Comment by Deana

May 17, 2011 @ 5:37 pm

Janet, thank you for your reply.

It was just what I needed. I have a big, tough, fireman husband — who has no idea what to do with my tears. Your reassurance made me feel like it’s OK to feel sad and overwhelmed sometimes.

So sorry to hear about your uncle, your mom; and from your blog, about Riley. I can’t imagine dealing with that heartbreak while also in this situation. You are a stronger woman than I (which I already knew, actually, given that shot of your abs. Amazing!)

And I am thrilled to hear you’re wearing heels. I’m a shoe girl. For more that a year before my big birthday last year I campaigned for a pricey pair of Christian Louboutin peep-toe heels, and I got them – they are truly a thing of beauty. Many of the tears I shed in emergency were because I was terrified I would never be able to wear them again. We haven’t had enough time together yet! (I know, ridiculously shallow.)

I look forward to reading your next update. I find while cruising around achillesblog.com that I am most interested in the stories 3-, 6- and 12-months out. I like to know how people are doing further along in their recovery. It gives me more hope.

Anyway, now I feel more ready to set aside my grief at my changing summer plans (no killer shoes, paddle boarding or hiking the Grouse Grind this year, sniff). And instead I will focus on getting fit, Janet-style, and doing what I need to rehab this tendon so that next year I’ll do all my favourite things and more.

Thank you again!

123

Comment by chuckp17

May 17, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

Hi Janet:
Thanks for the blog. I am just entering this little nightmare; ATR on May 10th. Like you, I work out in the gym a great deal. Besides that, I play competitive tennis and golf. (the tennis is what got me) I plan to begin a blog this week. I had surgery last Friday. It is interesting to see how people are treated in different places. I am in Colorado, USA. I will be sure to blog about how the doctor treated me. (he was nice) Anyway, I have every intention of getting back to the gym and on the golf course, with some ability like I had before, in 11 weeks. (by Aug 1st) I know it is a lofty goal, but I am stubborn. I will try not to be dumb and reinjure myself though. You seem to have the same type of drive as me, so thanks again.

124

Comment by janet

May 17, 2011 @ 8:29 pm

Hi Chuck

As we all say….welcome to the club that nobody wants to join…but now that you are here…it’s a great place for questions, venting, whining and celebrating. I look forward to reading your story…I love people’s stories.

11 weeks…definitely ambitious….but I was doing quite a bit at 11 weeks. There are a ton of things you can do at the gym….as I’ve said in one of my blogs….I was back at 1.5 wks….couldn’t stay away. LOL…I am very determined but I was also very careful as well….whenever I attempted anything new I would talk to my physio guy or my personal trainer…the last thing I wanted was a re-rupture.

Happy healing and best wishes…looking forward to reading your story

125

Comment by janet

May 17, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

Hey Deanna

OK….you cried over a pair of shoes…LOL…I cried over a pair of underwear. I think it was easier to cry about that than everything else that was going on….not shallow at all. You will wear those shoes again….I have a pair of shoes just waiting for me…not able to get them on yet with the swelling that still happens.

Thanks for the thoughts on my uncle, mom, and my beloved Riley…the loss of him still remains devastating….I’ve yet to do my 4 mile walk…I can’t bear the thought of going without him….I may have to map out something else.

Deanna, you are stronger than you know…and you will discover that as you go through this. I would turn back time in a new york minute if I could but I have also learned so much about myself through this that I couldn’t have learned otherwise. I am stronger now mentally and physically than I was before the injury and I’ve learned how deep my “never give up” attitude and desire to stay positive runs.

Did I have bad days where I wanted to give up…absolutely….did I whine and cry…yes indeed…LOL…my boss made me do a “grateful” list on a very bad day…I posted that as well.

Be kind to yourself….if you need to cry…do it but also remember to celebrate everything….you will get through this…I promise

Happy healing

244

Comment by Stephanie C Deforge

June 2, 2020 @ 5:58 am

Excellent post however I was wondering if you could write a little more on this subject? I’d be very thankful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Many thanks!
early mortgage calculator