Janet’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

Heel Raises and Getting Brave

Filed under: Uncategorized — janet at 11:06 am on Friday, April 15, 2011

Quote of the Day:

“Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.”……lance armstrong

LOL..obviously feeling brave….the ab pic is finally posted…

Yesterday was a very painful day…not sure why….but honestly if I had been a coyote in a trap, I would have chewed my leg off. I was feeling seriously frustrated and I realized this recovery is not for the faint of heart…..you just keep moving thru the pain to get where you want to be. Most of the time I handle all of it really really well….but there are days where I just want to say “I’m sooooo done with this”….so I thought today’s quote was very timely.

So….physio this morning…..I’ve noticed it’s kind of like a club the same people at the same time….I’m with the Good Ol’ boys….all of them knee replacements….they all get to sit around and watch me work. After the usual routine….ankle trainer, sliding squats, pro stretch and balance board, I was finally allowed to do official heel raises. My PT looked at my calves while I was doing them and said “yep we definitely have to work on that left calf”…..he thought he was funny. Seriously though….40 reps…banged them out no problem. I can tell my good leg is taking most of the weight because it was talking to me more than the AT leg…but feels darn good to be working my calves. I have to laugh because they decided to put me on the bike at physio next week….I think they figure they better move me along otherwise I’ll just keep doing my own stuff. The funny thing is they approved me for the exercise bike 2 wks ago so I’ve been doing that at the gym and have already done a spin class.

I had my doctors appt. a couple of weeks ago…I waited 1.5 hrs and it took me longer to take off my shoe than it did for the surgeon to look at me. He asked if I was limping….and if I started physio….had me press against his fist with my foot….pronounced that I was doing amazing for only being out of the boot a few weeks…then said….”see you in 3 months for final visit”….as far as he’s concerned his job is done…I save all my questions for my PT.

I have decided that I’m going to buy some gel packs or frozen vegetables to keep at work…..I think icing during the day will help things tremendously….elevating isn’t enough….I work a 10 hr day then head to the gym so it’s almost 13 hrs before I’m icing and elevating…waaaaayyyy too long.

I’m heading to the gym tonight…..lol..as usual and then I’m chillin’ by myself as I will have an empty house..husband has hockey and kids don’t stay home on a friday night….will be icing, elevating and watching my man Bruce Willis in something or other.

Have a great day everyone!!!!!

6 Comments »

110

Comment by suthrnman

April 15, 2011 @ 11:40 am

I appreciate your discipline . . . you look great. Imagine rehab if you were obese and sedentary. I am sure things would be tremendously more difficult. Keep up the good work. I look forward to hearing of your progress.

112

Comment by janet

April 15, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Thanx Suthrnman….sometimes discipline is the only thing that gets me thru….because some days…I just “don’t feel like it” but I do it anyway.

I have thanked God numerous times during this whole journey for the fact that I was in super shape when all this happened….it was my saving grace when navigating crutches, getting in and out of bathtubs and all the other things that require tons of upper body strength.

I look forward to hearing about your progress as well!!!!

113

Comment by Harry Jacobs

April 15, 2011 @ 5:12 pm

Sounds like you are doing great, I am a runner and thankful that I am in shape or the hard cast and crutches would be brutal. When I am not using the crutches I hop around humming the Bunny Hop very loudly.

I have already talked to my physio, helps that they are friends and she told me to hit the pool as soon as the hard cast come off. She recommended water jogging to get me started, through I still have to check with the Dr. She has had great luck with professional athletes who get into the pool and start working on balance with out any real resitance.

Harry

114

Comment by janet

April 15, 2011 @ 8:24 pm

Hi Harry

LOL…I have done my fair share of hopping….6 weeks of it to be exact.

It sounds like you are doing well. I have not been in the pool although other people here have and it’s helped them tremendously. I’ve thought about it but I’m not a huge fan of indoor pools and when I think of pool I think of sun and relaxing and vacation.

Let me know how it goes!!!!

115

Comment by normofthenorth

April 15, 2011 @ 11:56 pm

Janet, if I had abs like yours, I might be light enough that my ATR calf and AT could lift me up into a super-duper 1-leg heel raise! I’m sure it’s just the “weight belt” that’s holding me back! ;-)

Harry, start a blog if you haven’t, and get out of that cast, at least into a boot (and PT and exercises)!. Many people here sing the praises of exercise in the pool, as Janet said.

116

Comment by janet

April 16, 2011 @ 7:00 am

Hey Norm

Those are my “no cardio” abs….they will improve now that I’m getting some cardio. Although, the other day…I was wondering what it would be like to just not give a rip and eat 8 donuts….didn’t do it…but I sure wanted to.

LOL…the super-duper 1 leg heel raise has become my next challenge and goal….I’m chasing that one down and I’m going to do it…got to start 2 legs this week…but one is what I’m after.

I should do the pool as well…but then I’d want sun and tropical drinks as well….don’t think they offer that at the gym.

have a wonderful day Norm.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI