Janet’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

Dancing Around My Living Room

Filed under: Uncategorized — janet at 10:05 am on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Quote of the Day:

while i dance, i cannot judge, i cannot hate, i cannot separate myself from life….i can only be joyful and whole…..that is why i dance….hans bos

On Sunday after 8 weeks and 4 days I danced around my living room!! What a feeling!! I was a dancer for 18 yrs so  for me, dancing is like breathing…have a  bad day..dance it out..have a good day…dance it out…feeling cranky…dance it out.

I was at Physio on Monday morning and confessed my transgressions….squats and deadlifts…LOL..they were ok with that…..was told ”BE CAREFUL”.  Besides the usual stretching, I had more balancing to do with both feet on balance board…they didn’t even make me do 5 minutes…there was no point…I didn’t move….one leg balancing on AT leg will be a challenge though. I was also put on a sliding squat machine where you are kind of on an angle absolutely no weight just sliding up and down as low as you can…..this was absolutely no problem and felt amazing. I’m also walking faster and if it’s earlier in the day the limp is almost non-existent.

Some more good news……I have been approved to go on the treadmill (no incline, no running YET), the stationary bike (no spin class YET), and the ellipitical trainer as well……all reasons to celebrate.

It is interesting though and this has been expressed by others….people will come up to me and say “so you are better now” or “so, you can start classes again”……or…they kind of laugh when I say I have a long way to go….they assume walking means you are fine. I am learning to just let it go as there is no point in explaining that there is still tons I can’t do but I’m focusing on what I can do…..the people that really need to know understand where I’m at and that is what matters.

I am continuing to set small goals for myself……every goal I reach, no matter how small, is one more step towards the ultimate prize…..DOING EVERYTHING!

RESOLUTE: marked by firm determination, bold & steady…..webster’s dictionary

Have a wonderful day everyone!

5 Comments »

102

Comment by GerryR

March 29, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

I know exactly what you mean about people asking if you’re better. I saw someone Sunday that I had not seen in a few weeks and she asked how I was and I replied “I’m good,” to which she replied “It’s good that you’re finally better.” Finally?? Sheesh, I won two gold medals in bike races last year, backpacked quite a few miles, have skied at least 2 days a week beginning December 3, but I’m only just now “finally better.” Oh well.

Keep it up, sounds like you are doing really well.

103

Comment by iski7b

March 29, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

Congratulations on dancing! I haven’t had the guts, yet…Good for you!

You’ve got an excellent attitude (”…but I’m focusing on what I can do…the people that really need to know understand where I’m at and that is what matters.”) on the whole “how are you doing?” question thing.

That’s the attitude I finally adopted a few weeks ago when that situation was really, really starting to get to me. I feel much better now, and I think it has been a healthy and positive way to approach a “hard-on-the-feelings” and frustrating situation.

Keep up the good work!

104

Comment by gailbuddy

March 30, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

Yay for cardio! I won’t say be careful cause I know you get enough of that. My first day on my bike was an out of body experience. Although my stamina was butkus I grinned from ear to ear and sang out loud, I was so happy. I know you are a gym rat but give me fresh air and an ipod and I’m in heaven! I hate the gym!(workout center) but I’ll never have a body like yours…..oh well:(
I was a sneaky little thing too. PT kept telling me not to FWB and in the bathroom I would carefully step from bath to sink..I got pretty good at it!
Happy dancin’ girlfriend!

105

Comment by gailbuddy

April 14, 2011 @ 7:26 pm

Where in the world are you Janet..miss you and your pics!

106

Comment by janet

April 14, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

Hey Gailbuddy!!!!!

LOL….so sorry haven’t posted anything in forever….life has been incredibly busy…Uncle now under hospice care….mom with 2nd knee replacement and my own physio plus a daughter’s prom dress to buy…blah blah blah blah….am doing an update right now…..with a pic….LOL…debating on the ab shot kind of shy about that though

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI