Janet’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

Boot Banishment

Filed under: Uncategorized — janet at 2:49 pm on Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Today was my 2nd physio appointment…..LOL…more point and flex plus ultra sound and a nerve sensor thing with an ice pack. PT said that he had no doubt that I’d be out of the boot by Friday. He told me to wear it and bring a shoe in case there is some transition time required. I also have a list of exercises that I will start doing once boot is gone. It looks like quite a bit of stretching.

I tried standing on my barefoot this morning and managed to do that….it just felt very strange. I also decided to try and walk with crutches of course….my foot didn’t know what to do. I’ve been practice walking with boot and I’ve managed to put full weight on AT leg and I have even walked without crutches. It felt really good…better than I thought. I imagine it will be a bit different without the boot…..but progress is being made so I’m pretty excited.

Can anyone  tell me when they might start me on a bike or treadmill?

I guess this is where patience comes in…I just want to go and do everything.

Quote of the Day:

adversity is like a strong wind. it tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, so that we see ourselves as we really are…….memoirs of a geisha

5 Comments »

Comment by garyf

March 16, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Good news Janet, sounds like you have good health care where you are!! Make sure you don’t let Obama turn it into the NHS!! Hope the transformer disappears on Friday. I was told at 11 weeks I could go on a bike, however because I had to wait 3 weeks after my cast came off at 8 weeks for my ‘physio’ - joke!! I think I could have gone on one or two weeks sooner. It’s funny when I stand up on two legs when I get up in the morning, after a night of no weight on my ATR foot, I call it my ‘rice crispy’ (cereal in UK) foot because it snaps, crackles and pops when I start to walk - sounds horrible lol!!

Comment by janet

March 16, 2011 @ 4:36 pm

Yep…no more Optimist Prime….my leg does look like a sad little turtle without its shell though.

It is good news Gary…LOL…don’t know about good health care…I live in Canada, Ontario specifically, so we have OHIP but physio is covered by my husband’s employer and only $1,000 per year so that will get used up pretty quick. I am hoping, once there are things I can work on at the gym, that I can cut back to 2x a week. If not, I’ll have to suck it up and pay but I decided it will be well worth it to get an excellent Physio Therapist.

LOL…those sounds are just nasty. I’m going to ask about the bike on Friday just to see what his goals for me are. LOL…I cannot wait to move. He’s very positive about everything and will push you when you need pushing which is exactly what I like.

have a great day Gary.

Comment by iski7b

March 16, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

Hey Janet, so great to hear you will be bootless, soon! It seems scary, at first, but you’ll actually get used to it pretty quickly. I was so scared when I went to take those first few steps “bootless”, but then, I felt how strong my steps felt and it became less scary. One thing I did, too, to try to prepare was I did some barefoot walking in waist/chest deep water. That really did a lot for my confidence once I went onto dry land.
My PT had me on the bike at 3 weeks post-op. I was in the VACOcast and she would use an elastic strap to strap the boot onto the pedal. Once the boot came off, I was good to go back on the bike. My suggestion though is to have very little resistance, enough that your legs don’t get out of control, but hardly any so you can focus on feeling how your leg feels, ankle feels, getting into a comfy and SAFE position, etc. Also, I would highly recommend using an exercise bike, like the ones at the gym and NOT a spinning bike. The pedals on the spinning bike don’t stop right away, if you stop pedaling, where the exercise bike if you stop pedaling, the pedals stop and you just “coast”. I think the strength of the spinning bike pedals turning if you needed to make a quick stop or an adjustment or whatever could potentially put a LOT of force on your foot and ankle. Just my thoughts…I’m a bit of a worrier.

Anyway…congrats on losin’ the boot…that’s a HUGE step!!!! Well earned!

Comment by janet

March 16, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Thanx Iski7b….will be very careful with bike decisions….I’m pretty familiar with the spin bike and it does have the emergency stop but I won’t even attempt it until I’m sure I can….will stick with exercise bikes until I’m sure I can be safe.

I appreciate your concern and experience….that’s why this site is sooooo great….you can learn from the experience of others that have gone before you.

LOL..I just hope my foot remembers what to do on Friday.

Comment by GerryR

March 17, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Great news about the boot. I found walking around the house barefoot reasonably comfortable and not terribly intimidating when I finally got to FWB. My second PT was odd, he knew I was skiing but didn’t want me on an exercise bike. But, by the time I found a good PT, I had been back on my bike for about 3 months.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI