Janet’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

First Physio Appt.

Filed under: Uncategorized — janet at 11:09 am on Monday, March 14, 2011

I had my first physio appt at the ungodly hour of 7:30 am. I am usually up by 5-5:30 am and at work by  7 :30 but I am usually not good at any sort of physical activity at that time of the morning.

I love my physio therapist. It went very well. He was well pleased with the repair and was glad to see that my foot ’sat’ in a neutral position and it could be flexed to 90 degrees. I had a whirlpool soak to warm up my achilles and then the torture began…first my foot was strapped into a machine ( I have no idea what any of these are called) but I was to point and flex for 5 minutes and then I was to do side to side movements for 5 minutes. I then moved on to placing my foot on a rocking horse type thing and it was more point and flex. Eveything felt really, really tight. They gave me the band and I was to point and flex 40x which I’m supposed to do 3 times a day. LOL….there seems to be a theme here…point and flex, point and flex. I was also treated to some icing and laser stuff…..this was to break up any old blood and the heat was to send new blood to the area to get some circulation happening. LOL…I’m sure quite a few of you know about all this already.

I have decided that I desperately need a pedicure.

The last thing Chuck had me do was walk for him….he was pleased with the amount of weight I was placing on AT leg. He did mention that the boot would be awkward but to keep it on for this week and try to put as much weight as I can stand on AT leg. He also tested me with one crutch…it was decided I can use one crutch at home but to be safe use two elsewhere.

LOL…I asked when I can  wear high heels again…there was silence and then “in about 3 wks” he was totally joking and did not give me an answer to that question.

The one thing he did say was that I have to learn how to trust my AT leg. He did say that it is like learning how to walk all over again but said that boot camp was a possibility this summer.

I was told that I was to do no standing weight lifting for now….or if I do stand no weight bearing while holding weights.

Would love to hear from others as to whether this was a typical first physio appointment.

Quote of the day:

perseverance is the hard work you do after you get tired of doing the hard work you already did….newt gingrich

6 Comments »

Comment by garyf

March 14, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

Sounds excellent Janet, how often are you to attend? As you know this is nothing like my first physio appointment - I’m soooooo jealous LOL! I remember when I first started the stretches I thought the tendon was going to snap again! I’m about 4 weeks on from you and have managed to stand while doing dumbell curls and I walked in a straight line today (kind of on an imaginary tightrope) which shows I’m getting my balance back! Trying to balance on one leg is tricky too but it feels great when you do it - don’t think you should try it yet unless your physio ok’s it . Let the healing REALLY start!!!!!

Comment by janet

March 14, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

LOL….yes Gary I do remember the story of your first physio appt. I will be going 3x a week for now. I really cannot believe how tight it feels and kind of numb and tingly at the same time.

I’m looking forward to being able to stand on two feet to do my weightlifting. A bentover deadlift would feel amazing. Right now if I do anything with a lot of weight..bicep curls, shoulder presses….my core is doing all the work because I only have one leg. I would imagine that they want me to hold off on standing because when the weight gets really heavy we use all our muscles to drive it up.

I’m sure my balance probably rots at the moment…although I’ve been doing a balance exercise….all fours and then you stick your arm out in front and opposite leg in back and then switch…LOL..I’ve actually fallen over a few times.

Friday I get to banish the boot…exciting and scary all at the same time.

Comment by gailbuddy

March 15, 2011 @ 2:23 pm

I’ve never been strapped in a machine but my PT office is a small operation of women at the beach “PT by the Sea”(ad time). I didn’t have lasar stuff but did have heat and electric stimulus with the ultrasound machine. Maybe it is similar as it “wakes up” the muscles. After my first PT I felt like I was finally getting somewhere. Careful out of the boot, you may find you use it as a “security blanket” for a while. I wanted out of it so bad but was reluctant to go out in public without it. I STILL keep my distance when out as I feel everyone is out to step on me or trip me. HaHa.
High heels are actually ok once you can walk as they don’t put any pressure on the AT. Over the years as I have battled with severe tendonosis my doc and pt actually recommended I wear heels around as much as possible as they relieve the pain and stretch. Of course my husband would prefer heels all day every day for me…such a guy!
I’m so happy you are getting going on the PT. I found it made(and still makes) a world of difference!

Comment by iski7b

March 15, 2011 @ 3:18 pm

My PT used an exercise bike, therabands, my own isometric resistance, my own body weight, her hands (massage therapy), a towel (for toe scrunches), ankle weights, a rocker, and a Bosu ball.

Out of curiosity…In addition to your weight lifting regimine, are you also a very healthy/lean eater, too? I’m just thinking that in order to get even remotely close to your level of muscle definition, I will need to get my body fat down very, very low? Below 15%???? Achieved w/a high protein, low fat diet?!?!?

Your muscles look great!

Comment by janet

March 15, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

It’ll be interesting to see what my 2nd appointment hold…I go tomorrow. I just can’t wait to get moving! I need cardio!!!!! It’s such a stress reliever. The thing I find strange is when I use the band to do the point and flex thing…the pain actually makes me feel sort of ill. I’m used to pain but this is definitely a different kind.

I’ve always been a very healthy eater and before I started with the personal trainer I was pretty cut….but I wanted to build more muscle and get more cuts so we did have to change my diet…I was mostly eating the right things but at the wrong times. I eat 5 to 6 times a day and it’s protein, healthy fats, and complex carbs & of course veggies and fruits. I try and have my carbs earlier in the day and then protein at night. The key is to eat really, really clean. It takes a bit of planning but I don’t feel deprived at all. LOL… I do have my cheat meals though and I think chocolate is one of the necessary food groups. When we last checked my body fat which is probably right around the time the pictures were taken it was at about 20% which is the low end of normal….any lower for me, unless actually going into a competition would make me look too gaunt.

LOL…that is very good news about the high heels Gail…will give me incentive to work really hard at physio.

I tried going up the stairs at work today…it’s a terrifyingly long staircase…I was close to the top and I could feel a panic attack…honestly it just felt really scary. My husband was there so he talked me through it…not sure what that was all about but I think because I felt so unsteady…it feels like you are going to fall backwards.

I am constantly watching out for other people now to see how they are going to move so that they won’t walk into me. I actually had someone almost walk into me today.

How long does it take to trust the AT leg?

have a great day guys!

Comment by gailbuddy

March 15, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

My problem was not going UP it was coming down those stairs. I just stood there and it was as if I couldn’t remember how……I still have to concentrate…and I am NOT a dumb blonde…

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI