Feeling lopsided!

I’m due to get into two shoes next week, so in the last couple of days after I’ve done my theraband exercises, I’ve stood barefoot just to see how it feels (no movement and no pressure) BUT it feels as though I’m standing on a slope and the right leg is shorter than the left (it already was a bit shorter due to spina bifida, but it never felt like this). It really is a weird sensation and I’ve tried it in different rooms just to check it wasn’t the floor, but it’s still the same!

Emu oil

I’ve been using Australian emu oil on my scar and it seems to be doing a great job so far and even after only 8 weeks the scar has lost its redness. This is the first time I’ve used it but I’m impressed with the results.

I don’t want to lose the boot

I’m due to see the physio in two weeks for my ten week check, when I will have completed two weeks in plaster followed by eight weeks in the Vacoped. At my last visit I asked whether I would be keeping the boot for use as needed when I go into two shoes in two weeks time and she said no, it’s straight into two shoes and the boot is taken away to prevent me using it as a crutch.  From what I’ve read on here, this seems a bit drastic and would be grateful for any opinions on the pros and cons of this.

No more injections!

When I was told I would have to self-inject daily with Enoxaparin for a month after surgery I didn’t think I would manage it, given my fear of needles, but I’m pleased to say that I administered the last one yesterday evening, so am feeling proud of myself at the moment!!


A bit confused as to which of these two is me at the moment -I went straight from two weeks nwb in a plaster cast to being able to walk without crutches in my Vacoped boot. Is this classed as pwb or fwb, as it’s the boot that is currently taking the strain, not my foot.

My scar

This is my scar 21 days after my op. I had a wound check last Tuesday when the plaster was removed and it was judged to be healing really well. I had expected the scar to be in a straight line up the back of my leg, so wasn’t prepared for the strange curve. Has anyone else experienced this type of incision - I had a triceps turndown and plantaris transfer and the scar is about 22 cm long.

Forgot to ask when I posted this earlier - as you can see, the incision is on the inside of my leg, but am experiencing frequent pins and needles on the opposite side, which seems a bit weird.

Vacoped and showering

Hi, am new to the site and haven’t created a blog as yet, but need some advice please. I’m based in the uk and had surgery to repair a ruptured tendon two weeks ago. I’ve had the plaster taken off today and have gone straight into a Vacoped boot fixed in neutral which I have been told not to remove for the next four weeks. While I had the plaster cast I was using a Limbo in the shower, but the Limbo doesn’t fit over the Vacoped. Any suggestions for any suitable products available in the UK?

Me and my Achilles!

Maybe I’m the first person to be able to claim they ruptured their Achilles in their sleep??

I got up on the morning of Saturday 5 August and although I wasn’t in pain as such, I thought something wasn’t right, as I was experiencing difficulty going up and down stairs. By Monday 7 August I decided I have better pay the GP a visit as it was getting worse, not better.  I had previously had tendonitis on several occasions over the years and abouth a month beforehand had had a steroid injection to help me through a holiday, but the GP I saw didn’t seem to take any of this into account and said that the pain was too high up my leg to be my Achilles tendon.  The examination was perfunctory to say the least and no Thompson test done.  The GP said he would make a physio referral and I would get an appointment in about 4 weeks.  I asked whether a scan would be wise and was told that he didn’t want to pre-empt the physio by asking for the wrong sort of scan.

I arranged a private physio appointment for the next day and was again told my Achilles wasn’t ruptured,  and was given heel raises to do, which were agonising.  Prior to the next appointment I lived on painkillers and was going up and down stairs on my bottom.  At the next appointment the physio agreed to get in touch with my GP and ask for an MRI scan, which I eventually got on 3 September.  I went on holiday on 11 September for two weeks and was in permanent pain and when I got back there was a letter from the surgery asking me to make a non-urgent appointment to discuss my MRI scan.

Given that my ankle had been permanently swollen in the course of the holiday and I was in lots of pain, I made an appointment for the next day and the GP I saw said that she would make an appointment for me to see an orthopaedic consultant.  She said that the MRI results were very complex and hard to understand even for a GP, but even at this stage there was no mention of a ruptured Achilles, however when I saw the consultant on 8 October he said that from the scan he could see that the Achilles was ruptured, confirmed by a Thompson test and that there was a gap of about 5 cm between the ends of the tendon.  In addition, there were lots of other problems with the foot, including plantar fasciitis and osteoarthritis of the ankle, with no cartilage left, so basically bone rubbing on bone when I walked, hence all the swelling.  I was told that if the tendon was already weakened, it would have been perfectly possible to rupture it by stretching when I was asleep.

However, the GP who referred my had sent me to a clinic that only did minor surgery for bunions etc, so the consultant told me I would have to be re-referred by my GP to the correct hospital, so the whole referral process had to begin again from scratch!!! On re-referral I was put under the care of a consultant who specialises in Achilles tendon injuries and had my appointment with him in early November.  He said that he could do surgery within a couple of weeks and to have all the pre-op tests done then and there.  I didn’t even get to pass go on this one - my BP was far too high, so I had to wait until it was ok, then could have surgery.  It came down by February 2014 and was all set for an op on 11 February which was cancelled when my MRSA swabs were positive!!

Finally I had my surgery on 10 March, and had a triceps turndown with plantaris transfer.  Only one night in hospital, two weeks in plaster NWB and foot elevated for 55 minutes of each hour, with daily Enoxaparin self-injected (not easy for a needle phobic).  Plaster came off on 25 March and I have a scar about 20cm long, which I only saw briefly before being transferred to a Vacoped boot - no more hopping along with a walking frame (I was a bit too unsteady with crutches) and able to walk around the house at last.  The Vacoped is set at neutral for for weeks and will be altered at my next appointment.