Day of Surgery - Kickin’ Back

I had my surgery today. Jen dropped me off way early for my appointment so that she could get Kelvin off to school.

I was prepped up. The nurses were very very nice to me, but they had a hard time finding a vein for the I/V. This desk jockey doesn’t have big muscular arms with veins popping out. It took 3 tries to get it in. When the young nurse couldn’t do it, she called the middle aged nurse, when she couldn’t do it, they called in the elderly nurse. For her, it was no problem.

The surgeon explained what his plan was. Since I had a 9 cm retraction and a good amount of fraying of the tendon, he had to use a more extensive method to re-construct my tendon.

In addition to doing the typical stitching and joining of the tendon, he told me that he was going to make a larger incision and use part of my calf muscle in the procedure. Basically, he cut away a flap from my lower calf muscle, flipped it down, and sewed it in with the newly joined tendon.

Using that method, he’s able to use live tissue that is still getting blood flow and make the tendon much stronger. If he didn’t do that, there would still be some “give” in the stitching.

I never read about this method in my research this week. It looks like a sound and innovative technique, but I’m afraid it will end up being more painful.

It’s now 8 hours since my surgery. I had a nerve block given to me from the knee down. So, I still can’t feel a thing. I’ll start taking the pain meds in a couple of hours. I hate pain, so I will be following the prescribed regimen religiously. I’m using a countdown timer on my phone to remind me when to pop the next pill.

I was also given general anesthesia. All I remember was when he put that mask on my face, next I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room. They must have dressed me in my street clothes while I was still under.

Jen picked me up at noon. We went straight to the pharmacy. While waiting for her, I had to pee…bad! When she got back to the car, I went in to go to the bathroom. I’ve been peeing like crazy all afternoon. It must have been all the I/V fluids that they pumped into me.

Getting home, I almost fell down the stairs, Jen had to catch me. I was laughing about it, but if she hadn’t gotten me it would have been real bad.

My instructions are to start stretching and moving about right away. Going to the bathroom every hour and periodically straightening my leg is doing the job, I think.

Alright, time to catch up on Falling Skies season 2!!!

5 Responses to “Day of Surgery - Kickin’ Back”

  1. kkirk Says:

    Glad your surgery went well Hurricane and it sounds like your wife will take good care of you. Enjoy your rest and time off and heal. Take your time And don’t try to rush things, but be diligent when it’s time to start your rehab. If you don’t mind me asking how long is your incision? My doc told me my healthy tendon tissue had retracted a lot because of the time lapse and my incision is a good 12-14″ long (heel to 3/4 the way up my calf). Anyway Happy Holiday and Happy Healing.

  2. hurricane Says:

    @kkirk, I don’t know how long my incision is. I forgot to ask and the leg it casted and wrapped.

    I’ll be sure to blog about it when I find out.

  3. normofthenorth Says:

    I think I’ve heard of that muscle-flap surgery before, but not often or recently, AFAIRecall. BTW, the “skin” (”theme”?) you’ve chosen makes some of the content hard to read on a laptop and almost invisible on this iPod. I’d switch to another.

  4. hurricane Says:

    Thanks for the feedback @normofthenorth. I’ve changed the skin again.

  5. normofthenorth Says:

    Clear as a bell on the iPod! :-) Got time to install the ATR Timeline widget, too? All the best.

    [WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.