Decided I was ready to go mountain biking for real yesterday and went with my brother who is a doctor (just in case I got hurt).  Anyways, was only planning on doing three miles but ended up doing about 9 miles.  Here is the link to the workout http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/198373526

I am happy I was able to do the 9 miles without any pain or falling off my bike.  My balancing was off a bit, but other than that there were no scares.  I also wore an ankle brace but not sure if that would help prevent achilles re-ruptures.

I say at week 12, my achilles and calf were pretty weak.  I was sore on my achilles pretty much every night until the beginning of week 15.  That’s when I decided to go do some real mountain biking.

Still working on that single legged calf raise!

Comments

6 Comments so far

1. yakswak on April 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Hey, that’s awesome! Not a lot of elevation gain but that’s a real climb in there…where you using your granny gear or was there some standing involved? I ride a 1 x 9 setup so I don’t have a real granny gear combo which I’m worried about when I start again (I’m at 9wks post OP).

This injury gave me a lot of time to browse the web in the beginning of recovery. I was so tempted to pull the trigger on a few nice 29er SS bikes I saw but I had to tell myself that 1) I can’t ride right now, 2) Single Speed might not be the best way to go for the coming riding season…

2. hungtheviet on April 26, 2013 6:21 pm

yaksak,

I am able to stand on the pedals and I run a 2X10 setup on a full suspension 26″ bike.

I hear ya, when I was hurt and recovering I upgraded my single suspension bike with a new fork and handlebar….had to waste time thinking about biking instead of biking.

3. normofthenorth on April 26, 2013 11:40 pm

I found that even when I could first stand on the pedal (on the road), hitting potholes while putting weight on “that” foot was unnerving. I’d expect trail-riding to be even worse. I was in street shoes, so I just slid my foot forward, bringing my heel closer to the pedal. Glad I didn’t have cleats or toe clips…

4. jackinva on April 28, 2013 11:41 pm

Nice! Getting out on the road is one of my “GOALS” - I’ve already had to cancel my plans for RAGBRAI (Annual Bicycle Ride Across Iowa) this July as I know I’ll be nowhere near ready for 7 days of 60 - 70 miles each day. I have been able to ride the stationary bike at the YMCA for a few sessions and am building up my time on it. A cycling buddy who also had 2 ATR’s said it was 4 months before he was able to start road riding, and another month before he could hit the dirt.

5. ryanb on April 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Jackinva- some of us have been able to get back on the bike quite a bit quicker than that. I was on the spin bike at inside of 4 weeks, back on the road at 7 weeks, and riding single track at 9 weeks. If you keep steadily working at it, I suspect you might still have a good summer of cycling ahead of you in 2013.

6. kkirk on April 29, 2013 7:20 pm

That’s awesome man! Keep it up and if it makes you feel any better I can’t really do a single-leg calf raise either (Atrophy is a difficult to reverse) Hence, the marathon tracker :)

Jack, I agree with Ryan and think you will be cycling better than you think come summertime.

Name (required)