3 month post-op follow up

April 9, 2013 | |

The doctor was happy with my results and told me I can start jogging, biking, play golf, and any other activities that does not involve plyometrics (basketball, tennis, etc)

I was very happy with the visit except for one thing.  Doctor told me to do a heel raise on my ATR foot and I told him that was impossible…his response was "why?  does it hurt?"  I told him that I’m not strong enough but he insisted I use a table to assist myself.  I did the heel raise but I felt like I only pushed 60 pounds.  Man, the doctor didn’t look too happy. He told me to see him again in 6 weeks and he expects me to be able to do a heel raise on my ATR foot unassisted.  I guess I have a goal now and I’m afraid he will only clear me if I am able to show him next time.

Comments

8 Comments so far

1. hillie on April 10, 2013 8:26 am

6 weeks is a long time in atr recovery terms so you are more than likely going to achieve your goal with time to spare - if you keep practising. I was at about 18 weeks before I could heel raise well enough and after that it was improvement all the way - it was as if the tendon and the calf muscles had to relearn the technique!

Have you tried going up on 2 legs, lifting your good leg off the floor, then coming down on the atr leg? I had to do this ‘eccentrically’ at first, slightly to the side in a not quite vertical movement. Worked great for me under the supervision of a sports physio at the time. Take care though. Don’t overdo it and cause more damage - I’m no expert so I’m only advising what worked for me.

2. Ripraproar on April 10, 2013 1:09 pm

Hi Hillie, I showed your pt protocol and Uwo to my physio, it was my first visited that I insisted I needed, I’ve not been doing any rom , so felt really really good doing the alphabet, t band, however she did a massage really hurt don’t mind the pain but its hurting bad 2days after and were I had no dent there’s a lump now, I just hope she hasn’t done damage before I know the at has attached
    I keep thinking maybe she pulled it back before its attached, I’m 7 weeks non op, the question I have did you have massage and if so was it aggressive and painful
    Rrr

3. kkirk on April 10, 2013 7:00 pm

My doc told me today that 30% of patient never can do one and that 30% can do one by three month, not that that means anything at all :)

If if is any help I’m at 6 months and can lift my heel about 3/4 of an inch off the ground using all my might. Good luck man.

4. Lisa on April 10, 2013 8:36 pm

I probably wouldn’t push *too* hard as I was demonstrating a heel raise (and using all my might) when I popped (loudly) my other achilles. Even though I already had some tears I give myself some of the blame for giving it my all and actually rupturing it by my own power.

5. hungtheviet on April 11, 2013 12:00 am

hillie, I have done the exercise where I go up on two feet and come down on the weak one.

I pushed it pretty hard at the gym that evening after visiting the doctor. I’ll report in a week on my strength.

6. Hillie on April 11, 2013 1:29 am

Rip

About massage - I was non-op too and had massage from about 3 or 4 weeks. This was with the physio at my fortnightly checks and boot adjustment. I was able to massage it myself in between visits. It wasn’t especially aggressive or painful - we just increased intensity over the weeks. The far more intensive stuff began with a sports physio at around 16 weeks.

7. Ripraproar on April 11, 2013 1:17 pm

Hi Hillie
    Thanks, she went for it, but she’s use to doing proffesional
    rugby league players, hope this dent isn’t what I’m thinking it is the pain is still there, anyhow, I’ve booked an MRI for tomorrow and co sultans will look at result Tuesday , I’ll keep you posted.

8. Roger gosling on April 11, 2013 3:26 pm

Trying to prepare for my op in 2 months time, spot on 1 year since my ATR.
    Crutches were a real ‘pain’ when I was in my ortho boot, unsuccessfully attempting the conservative way forward.
    Have seen ‘IwalkFree’ alternative to crutches, whose PR looked good: BUT my orthopod is not impressed with the theory, until at least 6 weeks post op, which somewhat negates everything.
    Any experience on this product ???

Name (required)