Nov 26 2013

2 Shoes - The Hallowed ground!

Published by hopalong at 9:24 am under Uncategorized

At long last into 2 shoes! Well behind the pack but at least we are there. Have been traipsing around the flat for the last week in 2 shoes and when venturing out resorting to the mental and physical crutch of the boot.

To recap: Non Op, 9 weeks casts, then Vacoboot for 5 weeks,coming down 5 degrees a week. Doc and PT ultra conservative and so didnt get PT until week 14! Due to all this conservatism, ankle and tendon rigid. Couple of experiences for any others on the slow road:

1. Just getting used to being outside the support of the boot took time! A psychological as well as physical hurdle to overcome. Again the pool provided a proverbial comfort blanket.

2. Had real problems getting used to the flat (rocker) Vacoboot sole. Eventually made the transition at neutral, but kept the Wedge with me and put it on if I had a long walk.

3. The tightness in gammy foot was not just associated with tendon area, but with calf, front of the ankle and quads. Even hip! As the song goes, its all connected. Ankle seized up due to being cast for so long, and hip due to gimpy walk one has to do in the boot. (Still find it difficult to point foot forward).

4. Physio made a real difference! Probably stating the blinding, but managed to get an “unofficial” physio session in week 13 and that really freed up the ankle.

5. The shoes transition ensures that the ankle regains its strength. PT very happy at the increase in ankle strength after just 1 week. (As an aside, I sent him the link to this site and he is now very onside to early rehab - one more convert!). However now constantly swollen and different colour than other foot!

6. Walking with feet straight and not like a duck proving to be harder than initially thought!

One more milestone reached in this long windy road!

thanks for all the advice

Hoppy

6 Responses to “2 Shoes - The Hallowed ground!”

1. Ronon 26 Nov 2013 at 7:50 pm

Great job Hoppy!

Welcome to the 2 shoe group.

Good luck and keep us posed.
    Ron

2. Gbcon 26 Nov 2013 at 11:28 pm

Does anyone have a aso brace or otherwise type of brace when you are in two shoes they can recommend?

3. normofthenorthon 27 Nov 2013 at 2:33 am

Good luck, Hoppy! Nice to convert your PT, but I’d really love it if you could educate your OS, who’s sending non-op patients down the scary slow road! Lots of pain (or at least discomfort and nuisance) for negative gain! (Maybe if you hit the back of his leg with a bat, he’d log on here and learn something ! :-) )

Just one other thing: DO keep fighting the swelling. If nothing else, swelling will make you think that your ATR is limiting your ROM and side-to-side ankle flexion, but most of that may be just from the swelling. (I’ve got a personal story about that on one of my blog pages. . . Somewhere.)

4. Hopalongon 27 Nov 2013 at 10:21 am

Norm
    As always, you raise a good point. Thank you. Was just ignoring the swelling. Will now be more proactive. As for the OT……where is that bat!
    Cheers Hoppy

5. thelifechangingpopon 30 Nov 2013 at 3:06 am

Hi Hoppy good to hear that you are progressing yay for the 2 shoes. I am at 10 degrees in my Vacoped using the rocker sole, with some dynamic hingeing and am planning on changing to 5 degrees tomorrow and the flat sole. Thanks for the heads up on this possibly being a one step back moment, eek.
    Keep on healing

6. Hopalongon 30 Nov 2013 at 6:16 am

Wow. That looks like good progress TLCP, only feels like yesturday that you were going into the boot! Well done. Yep I and a few others had “difficulty” at this stage. My only advice would be - don’t force it! Norm is quite right to say - incremental changes. I went back to the big wedge sole at 5 degrees- could really feel the stretch on the tendon/calf. Then 5 days later, went to neutral and tried again. It was only some days after that, that the flat sole worked for me. I suspect not helped by the fact that I had been immobile and in cast for so long. (I was at the 5 degrees stage at around 12/13 weeks!). Still they are each milestones on this windy road. Best of luck with it!
    Hoppy