Snap! Once really should have been enough

A quick step off my mountain bike and I heard that unmistakable sound from my left ankle. Unfortunately I heard it more than 15 years earlier on the other leg so knew exactly where I was heading.

My last rupture was surgically repaired and I have had a great recovery, it was a long road though. I was so worried when the non-surgical route was my only option this time. Was it going to be inferior, strong enough and would the recovery be full? I was given very little advice in the emerg department which didn’t add much in the way of faith.

Thanks to all the info on this site I am now totally confident. I am in a cast and will be seeing my OS in a couple of weeks armed with a Vacocast. Fingers crossed he will be on board with the UWO protocol!

So- I am 4 days in, staying positive and resting up. I am able to move my toes easily- it this normal?

I must say that skipping the trip to surgery is a huge plus. It took me weeks to get over the op last time and the fear of infection was huge. By the time the final cast came off I had no hope of moving my ankle much which added lots to an already extensive rehab.

6 Responses so far »

1. 1

davidk said,

August 25, 2014 @ 12:07 am

I’m so sorry you have to go through this again, but I’m also curious why surgery was not an option for you this time? Granted, if I (God forbid) have to do this again, I would certainly strongly consider going non-op after reading all the success stories here. Thanks, David

2. 2

herewegoagain said,

August 25, 2014 @ 11:21 am

David I have moved from a large city to a smaller town so am in a very different care situation. This was what made my alarm bells scream, when I asked if surgery would be a better option it was made pretty clear that this hospital is supporting the new treatment route.
    I have since checked back with my big city friends and it seems like the same philosophy is in place there as well.
    I am actually feeling pretty good, no pain and reasonable energy levels- after surgery I felt exhausted for a week or so and remember way more pain.
    Glad you are healing well- don’t forget to stretch both legs!

3. 3

davidk said,

August 25, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. It sounds as if you are well-armed with information to be your own healthcare advocate on your road to recovery–that’s good. If you haven’t found him already, there’s a very knowledgeable guy on this site, Norm, who similarly suffered ATRs in both legs (at different times) and went the surgical route the first time and non-op the second. Happy with the results from his non-op treatment, he’s now a very strong advocate of this route. I’m sure you’ll do fine, but I wish you good luck, too! -David

4. 4

normofthenorth said,

August 28, 2014 @ 3:30 pm

What country are you in, hwga? Your Timeline is mute on location. Your treatment sounds OK, except maybe for the lack of choice. My 2 ATRs were “only” 8 years apart, and I also went op for 1 and non-op for 2 and almost enjoyed the 2nd. So much less disruption and pain, and the whole thing went faster, too!! But don’t assume that UWO is the only good modern protocol. Check out /Cecilia/protocols for. 3, UWO and 2 that produced results at least as good.
    I wonder what the perceived advantage is of starting in a cast, r.t. straight to the boot. I see none, and extra $. Post-op, a cast or splint keeps blood and stuff off the boot, but non-op…?

5. 5

Steve said,

July 12, 2015 @ 4:58 pm

Many thanks for you inspiring words. I’m day 4 after rupture at Dad’s race in my daughters sports day!

I’m very active, bike, running, or swimming every day but worried about potential surgical problems. Think I’m convinced down the non surgical route as lots of good data out there too. But hearing an experience first hand is worth its weight in gold.

Cheers
    Steve

6. 6

Lisa said,

July 13, 2015 @ 12:35 am

Wishing you all the best Steve. I couldn’t have been happier with my recovery and am a believer in a non-op recovery if you use a modern protocol, I am closing down the gap on my first year since ATR #2 and am pretty close to 100%- back to all the sports I love without any loss of “ability”. I have a couple of minor issues with my ankle joint, stiffness sometimes, which could have also come with surgery. No big deal and I am sure will resolve themselves with time.

I share your concerns as far as surgery and the potential complications that it brings. I have had a successful surgical repair and now feel very lucky that it went so well.

Please keep us posted!