Laughter: not quite the best medicine for ATR

October 3rd, 2008

IMG_1126

Originally uploaded by coyle.heather

So I know they say that “laughter is the best medicine” but honestly, I’m going to have to put laughter somewhere between Benadryl and Percocet.

I called the orthopedist yesterday because at 4AM the pain was absolutely unbearable and I realized that I couldn’t feel or move my toes at all. Not much of my toes are exposed in the splint, but what I could see/touch felt really cold, swollen and purple. The ortho said to unwrap the ace-bandage because it might be too tight with the swelling (even though I’ve kept it elevated with a ton of ice since surgery on Monday morning.) Once we unwrapped it the feeling came back in my toes, but I still have the pain. According to my ortho, it sounds like the “lightning-esque” pain that I’ve been experiencing could be from some temporary sural nerve trauma. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, how long did it last?

PS Does percocet give anyone else that “I see dead people” kind of a feeling? If not, does anyone have M. Night Shyamalan’s contact information because I’m pretty sure my life could be his next script - and I live in the Philly area - how convenient for filming!

Heather

8 Responses to “Laughter: not quite the best medicine for ATR”

1. gw0508 on October 3, 2008 3:13 pm

You’re too funny Heather. I ended up not sleeping on my back as there was too much pressure on the heel and I was getting some serious pass-me-the drugs pain. Someone told me to sleep on my side with a pillow under the knee & leg. That helped. When they took the splint off, I made sure they padded extra on the heel and top of my foot because those two areas gave me the most discomfort. The one on the top was that fire ants feel with warm water tossed on my toes. Nice to have toes now and to put lotion on them so they’re not so orange from the betadine but the flaky skin keeps coming back too. Did ice bags really help you? I could barely feel it. Getting into a cast is something to look forward to then you can get out of that darned equinus position. That’s the pits. Coming soon! In the meantime, pass the drugs and keep your humor!

2. hobblit on October 6, 2008 2:22 am

I had the odd shooting pain at night when sleeping and that lasted for about 2 weeks. I wasn’t on any drugs but I did see a lot of stupid people :)

3. dazf on October 6, 2008 6:38 pm

I had a enourmous twitch in all th toes on my right foot today, really weird but go did it make me jump. I am 7 days post op and only on pain killers at night now to make sure i get a good nights sleep. I felt pain around the heel and not directly on the achilles. I am in a half cast at the moment and the foot cant really move but this sudden twitch of the otes realy freaked me.

4. kkdub on October 6, 2008 6:54 pm

I think I DID see dead people due to painkillers which I stopped about day 4 b/c I felt so freakin weird. Hang in there newbie….it gets better…..I didn’t think it would and now POOF I’m three months out and at the beach. keep posting.

5. Sanfrantourguide on October 6, 2008 7:39 pm

I saw lots of dead people - the patients and staff at the Oakland hospital. Half my battle was avoiding depression just looking at the rest of the poor victims there. It made me remember why I quit nursing school at 18 after 1 year of physiology, chemistry, anatomy and microbiology.

6. Marianne on October 6, 2008 8:26 pm

Heather,

Don’t worry about the twitches- I had them too. I know what you mean about them being startling, but they eventually go away. I think it’s your body’s way of telling your foot/ankle to “wake” up and start getting that circulation going, and nerves need to “wake” up too. It’s all part of the healing process….
    Good luck with your healing!
    Marianne

7. Tom Holman on October 8, 2008 3:28 pm

Heather,
    Best wishes to you.

Frankly, I blame your husband. Defend him if you will, but I have little doubt that you sustained your AT injury while tending to the constant, trivial demands of your insensitive, wretched spouse. If I were you, I’d teach him a lesson by making him buy cases of beer for all his friends.

8. heather on October 8, 2008 6:58 pm

Tom,
    God love you!! Thanks for the well wishes and I’ll see to it that Josh (now known as Spartacus - don’t ask) buys you guys copious amounts of beer in reparation for his sins…

Hope to see you soon!