Cast off, Boot on

May 29th, 2013

Reminder
Injury: April 18th
Surgery: April 26th - the tear was very high and actually had to be stitched into my calf muscle

Yesterday was the day my doctor had scheduled me to take off my cast and put me into a boot. Wasn’t worried at all going to the visit or happy to be honest. It was simply the next step for me to recovery.

They removed the cast immediately on arrival. My foot and ankle area was red with a slight purple look to it in different areas. I could tell it was definitely still swollen to some degree. The assistant told me it looked great and went through the recovery process over the next few weeks dependent on what the doctor said of course.

The doctor came in and pushed at it a bit and asked me how it felt. I didn’t feel any pain really, although it did linger for most of the day. Sort of a dull ache, nothing to complain about though. He put his palm on the bottom of my foot near my toes and asked me to push down. I’m sure you guys have had this same thought, feeling before during recovery. I thought this man is crazy. I could move my foot just a bit, and I slightly moved my foot against his hand, very worried about the pain I may feel. He sort of laughed and said he understood my concern and asked me to push a bit harder. I did just enough to make that end, ha.

The doctor told me I would be placed in a walking boot now (It’s an Aircast). I was fitted into a boot that fit me well. They installed only 2 angular pads at the heal of the boot. They asked me how it felt and if I thought I needed a 3rd. They didn’t want me to do 3 unless 2 felt uncomfortable. 2 felt fine to me, almost natural to where my cast was fitted I believe.

We scheduled a physical therapy near my house for next Tuesday and they will begin with range of motion and getting me off my crutches.

My leg is so thin.. it looks red and swollen in areas. I feel like its exposed out of the boot even laying on the couch, but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

I wish my therapist had something sooner than next week, going to be another boring week at home.

Oh.. and the doctor reiterated that this recovery is not ‘no pain, no gain’. He told me to use pain as a barrier and do not break into that zone. I think I see him again in 3-4 weeks and I’ll be seeing the therapist in the mean time.

Hope all is well with everyone else and hope everyone in America anyways, had a great Memorial Day.

9 Responses to “Cast off, Boot on”

1. normofthenorth on May 29, 2013 1:43 pm

If you can install the ATR Timeline Widget here, you won’t have to include reminders — details on the Main Page.

Did your Doc tell you to start PWB in the Aircast? It’s time, and you can start with 0 weight and only proceed as comfy — likely pretty quickly I’d guess. Instead of holding the boot up in the air, rest it on the floor/ground AS IF you were walking normally wothout crutches. As you put more and more weight on it, it becomes more and more important to build up your OTHER foot/shoe to the saim height (off the floor) as the boot, so you can stand and walk straight.

You don’t need, or use, any ROM to walk in an AirCast (”fixed” or
    Non-hinged) boot. Make sure the front tongue is always in the boot, and the straps are snug enough to keep the boot stiff enough to transfer the load from your toes to the front of your shin. That’s how you can roll forward onto the front of your foot without using your calf and AT. If the bottom of your foot hurts, you can add a level footbed (squishy gel) or a slab of closed-cell foam (cheap camping pad?) underneath (under the wedges, I did) to ease that pain.

One good safe proven-successful schedule is at bit.ly/UWOProtocol . If you’re behind its schedule (& you are), catch up GRADUALLY and INCREMENTALLY. Remember those words throughout your rehab, they’re your friends!

2. hattrick30 on May 29, 2013 3:11 pm

normofthenorth, first off, thank you very much for commenting.

We did discuss PWB in the Aircast, but he preferred the therapist to begin that with me. I could begin therapy this week, but the office only 5 minutes away from me has nothing available until next Tuesday. The doctor did, before I left the visit, have me take a few steps while PWB to make sure it was comfortable for me. When I say PWB, I mean probably 10% weight is all I did.

My rupture took place on my left leg, how do people raise the right shoe enough to make it more equal to an Aircast? It seems like a pretty decent difference in height.

I feel comfortable starting PWB somewhat before my Therapy as the doctor requested because I assume he thought I’d be able to begin therapy this week. The main thing for me is going to be learning to do it without using my calf and AT, I’m not sure I’ll know until I feel some dull pain I would assume.

Cheers, thank you.

3. kellygirl on May 29, 2013 4:02 pm

I’m right behind you. Pain sounds like a warning sign–I forgot to ask my Doctor about that. I should be getting my boot tomorrow (week 5.)
    @Norm: Great tips for walking in the boot. Thanks! I will have to go through my closet and see which shoes will work best for this next phase. I wonder if my trainers will be high enough or not.

4. normofthenorth on May 30, 2013 2:06 am

HT, it is a decent difference in height. I had a “cast shoe” — like a beach sandal with a big velcro strap on top, to wrap around a fiberglass “walking cast” from early in my first ATR rehab, and I used it during the PWB and especially the FWB stages of BOTH of my ATR rehabs, on the “good” foot. Indoors, when I slipped a little foam “massage sandal” inside that Cast Shoe, the height was perfect. For outdoors, I added a few footbeds inside a big clunky hiking boot and that was close enough I didn’t hurt myself. Vaco sells an “Even-Up” that’s similar to my Cast Shoe.

Somebody’s hubby made her one, and others have taken old shoes to shoe-makers. Just do it SOMEhow!

5. hattrick30 on May 31, 2013 3:36 pm

@norm, will look into the cast shoes, thank you!

6 weeks since injury and 5 weeks post surgery, my foot out of the boot is very immobile. Typical I’m assuming, anyone else in the same position now or remember how they were about this time? Trying to move my foot doesn’t work, it just sort of twitches a little bit. Can’t wait for PT next Monday!!!

6. debuff on June 1, 2013 9:14 am

I’m about the same place you are- 5 1/2 weeks post surgery. I had a FHL transfer and torn perneal brevis repair. I have been to PT 3 times. My foot feels like a very stiff marionett puppet. I can wiggle my toes a little, do small ankle circles and alphabet letters with my toes and gentle lateral movements. I still have to use crutches because I can’t get my foot flat in the Breg boot. I had really hoped to go to a national convention this coming week but when I tried to start packing became very overheated, dizzy and nauseous. Guess I’m not quite strong enough yet. Very disappointing. It’s a very slow process.

7. debuff on June 1, 2013 10:04 am

I think I have damage to my Serial nerve as a result of the Achilles and perneal tendon repair. I still have burning down the outside of my calf. Has anyone else had this problem?

8. hattrick30 on June 1, 2013 11:03 am

My surgeon was very nervous about my Serial nerve, he said it was almost right in the middle of the surgery.. From time to time I get tingling on the left side of my foot, but I think it’s just part of the healing process. I can sense when someone touches my foot at all places. I assume that the tingling sensation is due to it not being used for so long. It’s not constant at all either.

I’ve never had a ‘burning’ feeling either.. sorry

9. Ripraproar on June 1, 2013 4:14 pm

I Debuff
    I think I have sural nerve damage , the consultant thinks 50 50 , I get the burning in foot and ripping pain in calf, but like you say , it helps once you know what causes the pain, I think I can hanle having th nerve damage if I keep progressing with the AT,