Single calf raises?

November 16th, 2013

So…again I’ve been offline, but have been making progress!  I am just over 6 months out from injury.  I am walking at 3.5 mph on the treadmill doing some light stair stepping and I actually got back to a Barre class this week.

I still have the slight defect (indentation) right below the tear.  Just a reminder….I did not have surgery.  I’ve heard that it takes time, sometimes up to a year or more, to regain full strength in your calf muscle.  I’m just wondering…when were you able to do a single calf raise?

I can do them with both legs, and for the eccentric contraction, I can do them with my injured leg.  It’s just that I cannot do a single calf raise with the injured leg holding all of my weight.

I just want to hear that I’m in the norm… :). I hope everyone is doing well with their recoveries!

6 Responses to “Single calf raises?”

1. normofthenorth on November 17, 2013 12:25 am

At 6 months, you’re way far from unique or unusual, anyway. After my first ATR, I could do a very few good 1-LHRs at around 12 weeks — but I shouldn’t have done them when my PT told me to! At my last meeting with my OS, at maybe 5 months(?), I could do a few, grunting and groaning. By about 10 months, I could do them withOUT the grunting and groaning.

For my 2nd ATR, I think I’ve regained full Soleus strength (and full sports mobility), but I don’t think I’ll ever do a full-height straight-kneed 1-LHR again.

2. greekprin on November 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Thanks for the response, norm. Did you have surgery the second time you injured your achilles? I do appreciate knowing that I may not do a full height straight kneed calf raise again. It feels good just knowing I can contract my gastroc and soleus, and I can actually feel it contracting.
    I have an appt. with my Ortho doc next month, so we’ll see where I stand. I just miss being able to run! My PT said no running until I can effectively push up on my toes on my injured foot.
    I will say this…I really struggled with my injury (physically and mentally), as I’m sure many of us have. I’m just so happy to be able to do any type of cardiovascular exercise! I was also cleared to start spinning, so I’m excited to add that to my routine.

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

3. normofthenorth on November 17, 2013 5:04 pm

No, I skipped the surgery the second time. And I’ve urged lots of others to do the same, based on the latest evidence. My own results have been mixed — but not bad in the cosmic scheme of things — on both legs, in different ways. LOTS of details on my own blog pages.

Most people can eventually do full-height straight-kneed multiple 1-lhrs after ATR recovery, with or without surgery — though it often takes longer than they like, or expected. The big shock from my 2nd (L) ATR recovery is that the last bit of strength it takes to do a full-height one doesn’t seem to have anything to do with my performance in sports, including competitive-level beach and court volleyball, aggressive bicycling in traffic, aggressive and fast downhill skiing, running around when I feel like it, etc. I don’t do timed sprints or the like, so I don’t have numerical proof. The closest I have is from the (few) times I’ve played COURT volleyball since my second ATR. (I’m mostly playing BEACH these days.) In court v-ball, I’ve always been able to jump high enough to spike the ball as hard as I can, down. Mind you, that’s not as hard as some of the guys I call “monsters” or “animals”, and not as high, and not as “down” — but I have a pretty good idea of how I usually spike a volleyball when I get a good set. And after each ATR recovery — including #2, with my wimpy 1-LHR — it seems to me that I’m spiking as well and jumping as high as I ever did. (And at 68, playing with a bunch of young folk, that’s an accomplishment WITHOUT an ATR! ;-) )

My first-ATR OS called himself “very conservative” (and he was), and (like yours) he told me to stay off the volleyball court until I could do a bunch of 1LHRs withOUT grunting and groaning. And that’s what I did. This second time, I certainly did NOT do that, or I still wouldn’t be back to my fave sport. I probably would have returned to volleyball at around 10 months (same as the first time), if I hadn’t gone under the knife to get a gimpy heart valve replaced instead(!). So I waited a year after the heart surgery and THEN I returned to competitive volleyball. And I’m playing decent 4-on-4 and 2-on-2. No worries from the ATRs or the ticker, though my “trick” right KNEE may soon end my volleyball career, despite a pretty good PT who’s been working on it.

The time from 2-shoes to walking ALMOST normally, to losing the limp, and from then to going full-bore at competitive sports and feeling 100%, can seem very long. And it isn’t short. This site’s “theme” of a 1-year marathon is not far off the mark for most of us. The second half can be very frustrating, though remember that it’s not nearly as painful and disruptive as the first half!!

4. greekprin on November 18, 2013 11:14 am

Thank you SO much for your detailed input, Norm! I’ve been doing more than what the PT prescribed at home. Of course, backing off when it gets too painful and even taking a day of rest, if necessary.

I feel that I’ve been making more progress when I push myself, even if that means easing up a bit, then getting right back on the program.

I agree, the second half of recovery is pretty frustrating, but I try to look at the bright side, I’m over halfway there! And I wholeheartedly agree that this is a one year marathon.

My ortho doc and PT both told me, plan on a year of recovery, regardless if I had surgery or not. But that doesn’t mean that I didn’t run into some times where I felt down. I’m just glad that this blog is available to us to vent, share advice and successes.

BTW, I work in cardiology, so glad to hear your recovery is going well with your valve also!

5. normofthenorth on November 18, 2013 2:16 pm

Ya, got a Hancock II pig valve in Aortic, and a Simplici-T Dacron ring around my Mitral, probably because I waited for symptoms (SOB) before going under the knife. So far so good, though my EAA is almost as wimpy as my left-side 1-LHR!

My blog tells the story of my 1-MONTH setup from 1/2 minute of overdoing — under a PT’s supervision and urging! A useful cautionary tale when you’re thinking of pushi g through the pain OR not being incremental in your activities, post-ATR.

6. rev246 on December 1, 2013 2:59 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed your convo about single leg raises! I’m not nearly as through my recovery as you two have been and was wondering how long it would take to do single leg calf raises as well! I have a long way to go :(