Physical Therapy Update

June 15th, 2013

So after my 4th PT session, they have me doing squats without my boot and the Nustep with my tennis shoe and heel lifts.  This is in addition to the stretching and exercises that are not to be done past neutral.  I’m still in the Aircast boot and weight bearing as tolerated.  I’m really not having any pain, but have been limiting my walking.  My leg does feel tired at the end of the day and I do have a sensitivity in my heel, probably due to the pressure on the heel in the Aircast boot.

A question for all (especially non surgical achilles rupture), I’ve noticed a small defect where the achilles was torn.  Is this normal?  I haven’t noticed it, until the past couple of days.  I have had no swelling and the tenderness has actually decreased in the last few days.

I would be interested to hear if other people have noticed a defect in their achilles and if it’s something I should be concerned with - maybe Norm has some input?  Thanks!!

9 Responses to “Physical Therapy Update”

1. micah1 on June 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Depends what you mean by defect? I’m non op too and in addition to the whole achilles being thicker there is a bit of a ridge where there once was a visible gap back on the day I did it. So I guess its scar tissue. Any one else got that?

2. greekprin on June 15, 2013 5:37 pm

That’s exactly what I mean. There used to be a gap, the smae one i saw the day I tore it. Then with the swelling etc., I wasn’t able to see much, except the tendon was thick. Now that the swelling has gone down, I’m able to see the same ridge or defect as the day I tore it.

I’m assuming its scar tissue also…thanks for the input, micah1!

3. micah1 on June 15, 2013 6:21 pm

I forgot to ask about that yesterday when I was discharged by the Orthopaedic doctors, but she had a good feel and look at it and said it seemed to be healing fine. :-)

4. loumar747 on June 15, 2013 6:39 pm

I wouldn’t call mine a ‘defect’ but there’s definitely something there that wasn’t before which is a good thing. The ortho said it’s scar tissue which indicates it’s healing!

5. normofthenorth on June 16, 2013 1:13 am

I’ve heard about these ridges, bumps, and dips more than I noticed any on myself. They seem common, among people who do OK, so they therefore don’t sound scary to me.

6. mikejp88 on June 16, 2013 10:49 am

I still have too much swelling to really feel the achilles. It’s way thicker than the other side. But I did have a dip develop instantaneously during PT once. It looked like a dramatic rerupture ( I couldn’t see the first rupture) and felt like it. But it was just some scar tissue giving way or some swelling going down or something.
    You say there’s no swelling - Is it the same size as the other side? I would doubt there’s no swelling, but maybe you meant no NEW swelling.

7. ripraproar on June 16, 2013 11:27 am

Hi same ere, but mine went with physio, was no op scar tissue , also read a lot on here with same issues
    RRR

8. greekprin on June 16, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks norm and loumar747! @mikejp88 - you’re right I still have some swelling, but no new swelling. My Achilles tore about 7cm from the heel, very close to the attachment to the gastrocnemius and soleus muscles. You could see the defect (indentation) immediately after the injury, but the swelling soon filled everything in.

My PT is impressed that there isn’t any swelling, she hasn’t seen this indentation yet. I see her on Tuesday, so will have more info then.

Now I’m noticing some heel numbness from being off of the crutches. But the thing that bugs me (And I’m sure I’m echoing sentiments from many of us!), is the weakness in the calf muscle. I keep doing my prescribed exercises. I was just added a new exercise - squats without the boot on! And partial lunges to help stretch the Achilles. Boy…is that Achilles stiff!!

Thanks to all for your comments…I really appreciate them!

9. kellygirl on June 17, 2013 7:48 pm

It sounds like your recovery is going extremely well! I’m impressed with your PT too. Please keep us posted on your progress. FWIW, I still have the dent at the rupture point although it seems less severe these days. Good luck!