Feb 22 2014

grannygoose

OS Check up

Posted at 6:25 pm under Uncategorized

I went to my OS yesterday. It was Week 5 being in the boot. I took my last wedge out yesterday in the morning. Incision looks good. OS was happy with it. I have to wear the boot for 2 more weeks, FWBAT, then he said I could wear shoes. That’s kind of scary to me. I will start PT on March 12th for gait training and ROM/Flex and Strengthening exercises, for 4-6 weeks. I’m excited about that. I think what I am most excited about is starting to walk on my foot. It’s getting old using the crutches in the middle of the night to get to the bathroom. I finally had some questions to ask OS after being on this site. I had no idea what to ask before. My rupture (tendon completely apart) was extremely close to the heel bone. It was difficult for him to get the sutures near the heel sutured to the other end of the tendon. Interesting stuff to me. I think that’s why he had me in the boot with 5 wedges - wanted it stretched out gradually. I will see the OS in 8 weeks.

I do have some bumps in my arch. OS says they are on the plantar. Doesn’t sound like he was worried about them. I have been massaging them at night with Arnica Gel and massaging my incision. It still feels a little numb but the massaging feels great. I have been walking around without either the walker, knee scooter or crutches with the boot on. Feels pretty good but by the end of the day I’m pretty tired. My heel hurts a bit more now that all the wedges are out. I’m sure that’s the nerves waking back up.

I’ve been luxuriating in the bathtub for about a week now. Well, about an hour a day, that is. This is what I missed most!

Happy healing everyone!

Vicki

15 responses so far

15 Responses to “OS Check up”

1. Janison 22 Feb 2014 at 7:48 pm 1

Omg, when I figured out I could soak in the tub and didn’t need help in or out, that was the best day ever! I can totally relate on that one. PT my fussy couple weeks was tough, even though I was just doing rom/gait training. However, the improvement was absolutely leaps and bounds week to week. I look forward to hearing your milestones!

2. shawnnutton 22 Feb 2014 at 10:37 pm 2

I remember putting 2 shoes on. Everything felt so tight around my ankle. I also remember those midnight trips to the bathroom. The first 2-3 steps were rough. I barely get my incision wet. I loath for the day that I can just soak my leg. I too, had a tendon that barely met up. I hope your recover goes well. Take Care

3. Vicki Non 23 Feb 2014 at 11:36 pm 3

Shawnutt, did you put your shoes on before PT? I’m so scared to try and walk on my own. The only saving grace is I will have the weekend to practice, lol.

Janis, wasn’t the first time in and out of the tub scary? That is my most favorite thing to do is soak and read a book. Heaven!

Vicki

4. Janison 24 Feb 2014 at 8:33 am 4

Vicki, you are a girl after my own heart. There is nothing better before bed than a soak and a good book!

5. rdolaon 24 Feb 2014 at 12:49 pm 5

Good luck, Vicki. I am 11 weeks post-op tomorrow for a left ATR. I have been out of the walking boot and in 2 shoes with heel lifts for one-week. The first 2 to 3 days were very tough, lots of swelling in the calf and ankle, AT very tight. Each day after I saw improvement, today the “tugging” in the AT is nearly gone but I still walk slowly. Don’t be afraid to limp, I say that is better than forcing the foot to gait normally and the AT to stretch if not ready. Slow and steady is frustrating but the healing takes lots of time.

6. normofthenorthon 24 Feb 2014 at 1:16 pm 6

Limping in 2 shoes can be fine, but only if it’s just one short stride that’s otherwise normal. Aiming your toes out to the side should be avoided.

7. Vicki Non 24 Feb 2014 at 6:25 pm 7

Rdola, my doctor didn’t say anything about heel lifts in my shoes. Did yours or was it PT?

Norm, no worries about limping or going slow, lol. My feet normally point out a little naturally. I will have to pay attention to that.

8. secondtimearoundon 27 Feb 2014 at 1:07 pm 8

Vicki, your “bumps” in your arch…. Can you explain that? I am still in the boot and NWB but my foot is almost always swollen and sore, so I wiggle my toes a lot and sometimes take off the boot Amd massage my foot. In doing this I have bound that there is I think a tendon, that goes from big toe to the back of my foot that is really thick, hard and sore…. Not he same on the other foot….. So curious if that is the same thing you may have? I see dr next week, but I end up with so many questions between visits lol. Thanks for your input :) happy healing!!

9. Vickion 27 Feb 2014 at 9:45 pm 9

secondtimearound, I asked my doctor about the bumps. He said they are on the plantar muscle. He didn’t seem concerned about them and didn’t say much. I don’t know if they will go away or not. I massage them also every night. I had a lot of swelling, too, and a friend suggested Arnica Gel. You can get it at the drugstore. I would rub in on my foot when I took the boot off and within about 1/2 hour, the swelling was going down. You should try that. I’m trying to massage my ankle and long the scar. I don’t want a lot of scar tissue building up. I also think of many questions to ask after I have left the doctor’s office. I wrote down the ones I had and took them with me. Try and do that.

I’m going to read your blog. I hope this isn’t your second injury…..

Happy healing!

Vicki

10. Lissa33on 27 Feb 2014 at 11:51 pm 10

Hi Vicki, I do have some of that gel and I will try that! I haven’t done well on my blog because I am inept at this stuff, can’t find out how to do half of it lol… It is my second time unfortunately, last rupture was 1999 and was complete rupture. This time 5 weeks ago and same leg, it was an avulsion, where the Achilles broke off the bone or pulled off with some bone attached. In doing so, my heel split open. So the injury is more on my heel and foot more this time. It seems you are only about a week ahead of me, so I will def keep checking your progress! Good luck with it! I have an appt with OS on Monday. I was in boot at 2 weeks and he wanted me to start moving my foot, but the incision opened up and he had me stop. That was 4 weeks ago and he still isn’t have me move it now. So I just started it a little bit on my own, no weight bearing though…. Well, thanks again for advice :) take care! Melissa
    Btw, keep working on that scar tissue…. I had a lot it seems and the dr says he thinks that that could have contributed to my second rupture/injury…

11. Secondtimearoundon 27 Feb 2014 at 11:52 pm 11

Sorry Vicki, don’t want to confuse you lol, Lissa33 and secondtimearound are both me :)

12. Vickion 28 Feb 2014 at 12:46 pm 12

Lol, Lissa! I am also inept at this blogging stuff. I can’t figure out how to reply when I am logged in on my own blog.

Ouch, ouch, ouch! I feel so bad for you with your second injury. I did read your entries on your blog so I am caught up with you. I am definitely going to massage the heck out of the scar tissue! I’m hoping when I start PT on March 12th, that they will do some of the massaging and show me the proper way. I’m also wondering if I could use a small had massager that has attachments on it. I certainly don’t want any scar tissue affecting me in the future. My rupture was almost to my heel bone.

I will also keep an eye on your blog.

Vicki (aka grannygoose)

Vicki

13. Vickion 28 Feb 2014 at 12:49 pm 13

That would be “hand massager”…….

14. anneon 28 Feb 2014 at 8:07 pm 14

Lissa….. how horrible. Yikes. I hope you have a stress free recovery.

I do agree about the scar tissue. I’m 7 months post op and it has definitely impacted my progress. I’m seeing a neuromuscular therapist in 2 hour sessions 2 or 3 times a month to get it managed.

Vicki - I was told you could use a hard “tool” or other resource to run up and down the scar. I massage my foot/leg in a hot shower or bath, in my opinion the heat makes it easier to work through.

Good luck.

15. Secondtimearoundon 01 Mar 2014 at 11:48 am 15

Anne, thanks for well wishes! Curious neuromuscular therapist? I am guessing those are specialized therapists? Do they have them at a regular PT office? My first rupture was so long ago I remember the PT telling me about the scar tissue, but my only goal at that time was strengthening leg and getting back on the tennis court. It held out for 14 years of aggressive tennis, but I did not listen to my body since I did have heel pain which I NEVER attributed to my achilles. Glad the scar tissue is being addressed more now it seems. Happy healing!!