grammy’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

question about swelling

Filed under: Uncategorized — grammy at 9:23 pm on Sunday, January 5, 2014

Is it normal to have more swelling than when I first got my cast off? I haven’t really done that much but I haven’t had my foot elevated as much as before. How long does the swelling stay around? I am sleeping in the boot and taking it off a few times a day when I know I won’t be tempted to stand..I do some toe wiggling and ankle movements. It just seems more swollen than when the cast came off on Thursday. Should I be concerned? Do I just need to elevate more? I try to keep it elevated but “toes above the nose” is difficult to achieve when you are trying to get back to some type of normal! Any thoughts or advice? I wasn’t really an athlete before this but I was active…compared to the last six weeks.

5 Comments »

Comment by anne

January 5, 2014 @ 9:44 pm

I was told I would have swelling for the first year. I have had constant swelling in a small part of my ankle since my first rupture. I’m 5.5 months post op and only really had a few instances when my foot really ballooned.

I’ve never elevated with the “toes above the nose” but for the first 6-8 weeks I had to have my foot up on an ottoman. Currently, it’s hard for me to go to a bar and have my feet dangle from the bar stool without my foot ballooning. (I’m 5′0)

I’ve found when my foot gets stiff or swollen, I soak my feet in a tub and I usually feel better.

Good luck!

Comment by normofthenorth

January 6, 2014 @ 12:23 am

I never did “toes above the nose” either, but I elevated moderately a LOT, foot up on a chair or footstool. Ice helps a lot too, and many folks here swear by compression socks or tubes (basically open-toed kneesocks).

If you look, you can find my blog page “This swelling and elevation is getting OLD!” I don’t recall how far into my rehab I was (non-op that time), but far enough that it was OLD.

I also tell a story (somewhere!) about the effect of swelling on an UNinjured ankle, and how much it reminded me of the stiffness and “congested” feeling post-ATR. Basically, I smacked my other leg’s shin-bone so hard it raised a big long-lasting bump on the bone. (I think some of my sailing pals had temporary hearing loss from my injury, too! ;-) )

The swelling and discoloration-bruising gradually slid down my leg from gravity, and both settled around the ankle. Otherwise there was NOTHING wrong with that ankle, so ALL my remarkable symptoms were purely the result of the inflammatory stuff that we call “swelling” migrating to my ankle.

Comment by Sandizona

January 6, 2014 @ 4:48 pm

Hi Grammy…..I’m a “Nana” too, and 61 turning 62 (social security birthday ) in July !!
I’m active too, and these past 11 months has been a rude awakening. I’m healing really well…just can’t go down stairs as easily as I once did. My hubby (caretaker) bought me a knee scooter $185.00 vs. renting one for $150.00 per month. I have it for sale now on Craigslist : ) for $150.00 if anyone out there might be interested or in need. I know it was my lifesaver / hubby’s too for being a little more independent in helping around the house, even able to carry a cup of coffee, or ANYTHING I needed…carrying by hand or in my lil’ basket. Continue healing properly, do what your PT’s tell you, exercises at home, and you’ll do well. I’m in Arizona and we are so lucky to be able to get outside in the sunshine and not have to worry about all those below freezing temps & ice & snow back east. I cannot imagine how many more members we will be seeing after accidents due to weather.
(((((Sandi)))))

Comment by normofthenorth

January 6, 2014 @ 8:32 pm

Sandi, have you read and tried my trick for walking down stairs “normally” with limited strength or ROM? It’ on my blog and many others. Works for most of us.

Comment by coast2coast

January 7, 2014 @ 8:54 am

Grammy - I’m 2 weeks out of the cast (8 weeks since surgery) and still dealing with swelling, too. My OS said the swelling would get worse the first few days after getting the cast off because the cast would no longer be providing compression. It’s slowly getting better as the days go by.

Like others, I find that elevation and icing helps A LOT to control the swelling. I flew coast to coast three days after cast removal, and swelled up like a balloon. Sure enough, an evening of elevation and ice brought it back to normal. My PT says the swelling with slowly decrease (aided by exercises and elevation) over 4-5 weeks, depending on activity.

If it’s painful, hot/feels infected, or otherwise, call your doc!

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI