In NWB Limbo…

Does anybody else feel like there is this period between post-op appointments where a million people ask you “How’s the leg doing”? And all you can really say is, “Welp, it’s in there”!  It’s difficult to assess and be optimistic about progress until you can get that leg on the ground.  I’m back at the doc in about 10 days and will likely go PWB but until then I just feel kind of stuck.  My range of motion is coming along, I have minimal swelling, the incision looks good, and I’ve tried to keep up with some hip strengthening every day but overall I am bored and exhausted.  I’ve been to the gym once a week since surgery and I’m completely drained after 40 minutes.  Before this injury I was training 4-5 days per week for 90 minutes and I was feeling like I was in the best shape I’d been in since high school, then the pop.  Sometimes the path in front of us is unpredictable and unfortunate.  I hope that I and that all of us are stronger for it in the end.

That’s all for now.

-GK

8 comments ↓

#1 victorialyn12 on 04.23.12 at 8:33 am

You’ll get there, don’t worry. That’s the most frustrating part, I’ve been in this limbo for some time now. I have a docs appt tomorrow so I’m hoping I can start PWB or else I’ll go crazy. Just try and keep busy, everyone in this blog reminded me it’s just a temporary set back! You’ll be back to your old self in the gym too, it’s just a matter of patience. Good luck!

#2 ericbabula on 04.23.12 at 8:58 am

Don’t worry, Greg. That question doesn’t end when you’re out of the cast and FWB, either. “How’s the leg doing?” “I’m gettin there! Slowly, but I’m gettin there!” You’ll be hearing that question for months, I’m afraid. But, some people are genuinely get happy for you when they see you in the boot, then in the boot without crutches, then in shoes again! The fact that some people (I’m talking co-workers and people at work I don’t even know!) care enough to notice, makes me smile!

“Unpredictable and unfortunate” that’s a good explanation of our situation. “Life-changing” - hopefully only for the good! “Life-ending” - no. Like victorialyn said - it’s just a temporary setback! A long one……but temporary. If nothing else, we all should learn patience and that, though our bodies are fragile, they are incredibly resilient, also!

Keep with the program, and keep your chin up!

#3 gkraemer14 on 04.23.12 at 9:06 am

Thanks for the support guys. Our bodies certainly are fragile at times. I was talking with a classmate the other day about my injury and her ACL injury that she sustained in college and we both came to an agreement. God is the ultimate biomechanist… but there are still design flaws.

#4 jenniferanderson on 04.23.12 at 10:40 am

My favorite is when people see me and say “you’re not walking YET?! I just say ” Well….you know how lazy I am” and shrug. That shuts em up haha. NWB is the hardest part. I have been PWB for 6 days now. The first day I was PWB I felt like a new person! I couldn’t really do a lot more than I could NWB but it made a huge difference mentally. Just testing out my foot and seeing how much weight I could put on it gave me something to do. Hang in there! You’ll be there before you know it.

#5 dlmack on 04.23.12 at 5:32 pm

Hi Greg! I’m laughing at your post because people keep asking me, “what’s next in the process?” and i say, “well, hopefully, i’ll get the boot at my next appt (tomorrow)”. and they say, “so then you will be able to walk?” ummm…Not exactly! Anyway, figured I would share. Keep up the competitive spirit because that will help you get through this too!!

#6 normofthenorth on 04.24.12 at 12:39 am

And it all seems MUCH quicker in hindsight! :-) PWB is a great breaktrhough, and FWB is even greater. After that, many of us felt like it was slow going again (even when going into 2 shoes), though at least you can carry stuff around!

#7 gkraemer14 on 04.24.12 at 7:11 am

Very much looking forward to being able to carry things again. Crawling from my kitchen to my living room with a cup of hot coffee is getting old. All my friends on the site here and my wife are trying to get me to be more positive. It’s difficult but I promise I’m trying :)

#8 starshep on 04.24.12 at 12:32 pm

Greg: I hated crawling. I was able to strap a couple of bags to my crutches and that let me carry some stuff around. Drinks were a challenge though. Maybe you can put your coffee in thermos and if you can strap some bags to your crutches, at least you won’t have to crawl around with your coffee.

You must log in to post a comment.