Sep 10 2008

Learning to walk again…

Published by ginger982 at 2:12 pm under Uncategorized

Well, its been just over a week since I went into 2 shoes and am having a frustrated day today as feel like I’m not making much progress on the walking front. My foot istself feels fairly strong but I just can’t seem to walk without a limp. I was given exercises by physio to do and told to concentrate on ‘walking properly’ - easier said than done! Am really trying to do the toe heel movement but just end up limping. Am trying minute steps which seems ok for a while but then I just end up limping again. Does anyone have any advice? The doctor told me to walk as much as possible to build up the strength and I feel my calf has already strenghtened. My foot is also quite swollen by the end of the day but icing it and elevating it in the evening seems to help. Flying to San Francisco next week so guessing compression socks and asprin may be the order of the day for that one! Just realised I used ‘limp’ far too much in this post!!

7 Responses to “Learning to walk again…”

1. anniehon 10 Sep 2008 at 2:39 pm

Hi Ginger,

Walking has been the main thing for me, I don’t drive so I concentrated on trying to walk more than the exercises. Walked into Bramhall and back yesterday to the Dentist and I felt really good about it. Less than 3 or 4 weeks ago I couldn’t have gone more than 100 yards without limping and using one crutch. By the time I got home I was tired and ankle was swollen a little but not too bad. Dr. Dalal told me to walk immediately after my cast was removed and I thought he had gone mad, but really he was just encouraging me to walk.

It will come, don’t despair.

Enjoy your holiday, be sure to look after yourself on the trip, I’d start taking the asprin now if I were you.

You trying to escape from the rain here? Bramhall was flooded at the weekend, right up to car windscreen height, quite a sight.

Annie

2. jennyon 10 Sep 2008 at 2:40 pm

Hi Ginger, I went 2 shoes yesterday morning and my calf muscle is not happy with me. I also have a really noticeable limp and walk at a snails pace. I find that if I really concentrate on each step I can minimize the limp considerably but I am so slow a 1 year old can keep up. My physiotherapist told me today that I was not bending my knee enough and that I was using my hip as a way of not transfering weight to the ball of my foot so now I am aware I am trying not to do it anymore. Anyway, it is really frustrating because I was much much faster in the boot and although this is progress it doesn’t feel much like it right now. I do feel though that walking in shoes is going to strengthen the muscle considerably though. i think that most of us are just impatient (I am) and want this whole mess over with. Sigh, patience is a virtue. Good luck and keep on walking.

3. ginger982on 10 Sep 2008 at 3:18 pm

Cheers for the positive words, really helps to put things in perspective again. I was hoping this whole experience was going to make me a more patient person - mmm, maybe not huh? I too think I’m not bending my knee enough and was definitely much faster in the boot! Am sure we’ll look back on this in the months to come and realise how far we’ve all come…….!!
    Definitely looking forward to escaping the british weather next week.

4. chowderladon 10 Sep 2008 at 11:22 pm

I was fastest on crutches. Hahah. My PT guy gave me a cane because he also did not like the way I was limping and not bending my knee. I begrudgingly slowed myself down to walk right and used the cane to bear some of the weight and after a couple of days I noticed that I was walking more normally without even thinking about it. You might try the cane route, although it makes you look 80, and I couldn’t even keep up with an 80 year old. Hahah, you should see the looks I get when I’m walking around downtown LA, especially because I look really young for a 26 year old

5. hobbliton 11 Sep 2008 at 7:55 am

I just started walking last week and have almost kicked the limp except when I’m tired. I use this routine: alternating between 10min biking (stationary), walking, 5min stretching, walking, repeat on bike …

The biking motion helps retrain the range of motion your ankle needs to walk. I was also limping not due to lack of strength but flexibility in my calf/tendon. If that doesn’t help, start using a cane to tap each time your bad foot takes a step.

6. kristinatlon 12 Sep 2008 at 12:31 pm

Ginger,
    Hey! I’m with you on the whole limp thing. In the beginning I didn’t know how in the world will I ever walk without a limp. I’m still limping, but it’s gotten SO much better with the strengthening and streching I’m doing. Basically, time is what will make us not limp anymore. And, I think a little of it is mental. Some times I don’t think I’m limping much, and other times it’s really bad. Keep stretching and strengthening and walking and we’ll all be limp-free soon! :) Like Chowderland..I was much faster on crutches..when I was in boot and supposed to use 1 crutch…well, if I was running late to a Dr. appt I would use both crutches and book it. :)

Take care and take it easy! (P.S. I’ve been 2-shoes for 3 weeks and still limping..so, I think it will take a bit of time…I’m thinking maybe in 1-2 mths I’ll be limp-free…but who’s counting. Time will tell.) :) Have a great weekend!

7. ginger982on 03 Oct 2008 at 2:13 pm

Thanks guys. Just got back from 2 weeks in the States. Had an amazing time - flew into San Francisco and out of Vegas, visiting Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Santa Barbara and LA to name a few places in between. Defintely got to walk loads while away and probably overdid it a bit a few times but overall it seems to have improved my foot. Hired a bike and cycled down Venice beach which felt soooo good. Also swam a bit which seemed to help. Can now walk down stairs one step at a time instead of one step feet together, next step, feet together…!! My ankle is still swelling quite a bit by the end of the day so still wearing trainers. Is anyone else finding this too? Back to physio next week, wonder what she’ll have in store for me then….!!