Gail’s Ultra Achilles Blog

Heel Spur

January 24, 2013 · 7 Comments

Long time no post…because I’ve been feeling good I guess.  Both Achilles seem to be holding (had right operated on in 2009, but also had problems with the other one).  I’m a long distance runner, and continue to try to do long races…but about a month ago began experiencing pain in my left inner heel.  X-Ray revealed a new, large bone spur on the inner left heel….which podiatrist says does not respond well to surgery, so going the orthotics, Nsaids, and gritting teeth route.

Just wondering if any Achilles surgery alumni out there have experienced any problems with bone spurs before/after Achilles surgery?

Categories: Uncategorized

7 responses so far ↓

• Heel lifts // Feb 1st 2013 at 8:32 am

DO heel lifts help?

• Pamela Wise // Feb 1st 2013 at 11:58 pm

In my case, it was a bone spur that almost completely severed my Achilles. The moral I took from that story is don’t mess with a bone spur.

The interesting thing was that the doc who did the surgery was surprised at what he found–I don’t understand how he would not know what was going on in my foot.

• gailaj // Feb 2nd 2013 at 7:12 am

Thanks for the feedback, Pamela. I was wondering if maybe I should get an MRI…if that would show if the Achilles is actually involved this time too.

RE: Heel lifts/orthotics — I did get custom-made orthotics, which are providing some relief, so we’ll see if they keep taking pressure off that side of my foot. Otherwise, doing cold and heat, as my doctor advised, which helps the symptoms at least.

• carolatcj // Mar 10th 2013 at 1:33 am

My achilles problem was also related to a large bone spur. I had a bump on my heel for years, but it never caused pain so I ignored it. I will never do that again. I am 6 weeks post Op and doing well, but if I had had the spur removed long ago, I could have avoided all this.

• gailaj // Mar 10th 2013 at 9:06 am

Hope your recovery goes well, carolatcj. I am still able to run on the foot with the bone spur, but still having pain after long runs. My Dr. was adamantly opposed to surgery, saying that it might make it worse…but hearing stories like yours makes me worry.

• Justin Howard // Apr 3rd 2013 at 2:26 am

this is really sad, heel spur is now become common among people and you need to look for a poditrist who have good experienced in heel spur. Karl Lockett is a very experienced sports podiatrist and he can help you to get out of it. http://www.sydneyheelpain.com.au/plantar-fasciitis-treatment/

• gailaj // Jul 15th 2013 at 2:20 pm

Thank you, Justin Howard; sorry about the long delay in responding, don’t check the site often.

Interesting information on the website, but unfortunately Sydney is far away from where I live in the USA, but thank you for the link, maybe it can help others.