Filed Under (DocVisit) by franticachilles on 10-03-2014

With my right  foot in the air boot that they gave me in the ER room, I headed off to meet with the P.A at the orthopedics’ office to discuss next steps.

After all the investigation I have done and talking with a few people, my mind is of the thinking that I will go the non-surgical path.

The P.A I visited with was very knowledgeable and straight to the point. He did ask me a very interesting question during our conversation however. He questioned if I had been taking any type of antibiotics? Huh? What did you just asked me? I had just finished Cipro about a week before my accident.

He started to tell me that some types of antibiotics and steroids can increase risk of tendinitis and tendon rupture in some patients. He went on to tell me that some theories suggest the drug may impede collagen formation or interrupt blood supply in joints.

It hit me like a ton of bricks.

I remember reading about this topic a couple of days earlier (here and across the internet). I have played racquetball for so many years and never knew about this. It could be coincidence that I had been taken Cipro prior to this rupture. In the back of my mind I am thinking about my peroneal tendon tears two years prior.  Interesting.

The P.A advised surgery after a very eloquent analysis of my situation. I told him that I would take it under advisement but I wanted to, at this moment, go with the non-surgical route until I had a chance to talk with a few surgeons.

I made two appointments with surgeons who have done several ATR surgeries and work, in my opinion, at two of the best hospitals in the Mass area.

I finally left the appointment in a CAST pointed in the standard plantar-flexed position along with my air boot and beloved crutches. Ah the joy.

The P.A put me in the cast because he wanted to start the healing process and until I had consults with the ortho surgeons.

I have to rush home to get me foot elevated!

Mundane life has reared it’s ugly head again!

It will be a few days until I can meet with surgeons and discuss final decision but I am happy that I have to foot immobilized for the time being.

  • ATR Timeline

    • Name: franticachilles
      Location: Marlboro
      Injured during: Racquetball
      Which Leg: R
      Status: 2-Shoes

      504 wks Post-ATR
      501 wks  3 days
         Since start of treatment