The History of my Achilles

In mid March of 2009 I began bouncing around on a mini trampoline.  By early April I noticed my left heel was a little sore and I had some swelling over my Achilles Tendon.  Needless to say I quit bouncing and started resting and icing.  Within a couple of weeks the swelling was gone and I decided it was best to go back to my treadmill and leave the bouncing to someone else.  I didn’t have any other problems with my heel after that.

In late August I slipped on wet tile and went down-HARD! I landed fully extended on my left side.  Within the next few days I begin to feel as if I had been in a car accident.  But I had company coming and my mother was scheduled for knee replacement surgery.  There was a lot going on and I figured everything would settle out in time.

It was late September before I made a Dr. appt. It was schedule for the day before we were supposed to take a trip to Nashville.  However the Sunday before the appt.  I had so much pain in my neck, shoulder, arm, and tingling in my arm down into my fingers that we ended up in the emergency room.  A shot of dilaudid, a prescription for Flexiril, and Percoset; well, I was feeling no pain.  An x-ray indicated nothing was broken and some degenerative arthrits in my neck.

Two days later I went to my Dr. Appt. who of course wanted me to have an MRI and by the way prescribed neurontin.  I insisted that the MRI happen after our trip to Nashville.  I went to Nashville and with all the pain and drugs, I barely left the hotel room and let’s just say I don’t remember much.

Long story short, lot’s of PT and then on November 5, 2009: I fell again.  My foot went through a rotten board on a boardwalk and I fell on my left side again.  The first thing I felt was my wrist.  A bad sprain and more PT.

Now my Achilles begins to swell again, and it is getting painful.  Along with that I have sharp pains at the point of insertion on the outer side of my heel, a large bump on the back of my heel, and another to the outer side of the heel.

On December 20 the MRI showed a large fusiform indicative of a past injury and a lot of inflamation.  On December 23, the Foot Surgeon took X-Rays and discovered bone spurs on the back of the heel.  Both were cracked and ready to break loose.  He also diagnosed Haglund’s Deformity along with concern for the thickened tendon.  He felt that we should try conservative treatment first.  And so, two days before Christmas, I received the gift of a knee-high AirCast FP Boot.

ATR Timeline

  • Name: FlyRed
    Location: Missouri
    Injured during: Fall on wet tiled floor
    Which Leg: L
    Status: NWB

    584 wks  4 days Post-ATR
    510 wks  3 days
       Since start of treatment

  • FlyRed has completed the grueling 26.2 ATR miles to full recovery!
    Goal: 365 days from the surgery date.
    Achilles NYC Marathon Course Sidebar Image

    Click here for the Group Marathon Tracker