So Saturday morning came and I felt zero pain in my AT.  As I lay in bed, I think that maybe I’m okay and that I got excited about nothing.  I step out of bed and attempt to take a step and NOPE….nothing.  No movement, no strength, no ability to do a toe raise…nothing.  Okay, the previous night I did not sleep well.  I tossed and turned and thought of being hurt and out of work, possible surgery, long recovery time etc etc.  Along with that was the scouring of the internet to find all things ATR, which brought me to this site.   In my research I found something called “tennis leg”,  the injury that involves snapping your plantaris tendon which usually has a quick recovery.  I hoped beyond all hope that I’d be fine in a few days to a week and this scare would be nothing more than that….a scare!  I texted my brother in law about the tennis leg possibility which he didn’t agree with based upon where my initial pain was.  So I made and “appt” with him for anytime this morning.  His words were, “just park by the black car and meet me out back.”  Um…okay.

So I did as I was told, parked by the black car next to the back door and told him I was there.  A few minutes later he emerged from the clinic and performed the exam…in the back lot.  He said, this way you won’t get a bill.  Works for me…

He felt around and poked and prodded and squeezed and all the while, I still had very little pain.  Yes when you push on it it hurts but nothing just standing there.  He determined that he THOUGHT it was a partial tear but that he could not totally be sure.  He said he had a buddy who is an Orthopedic surgeon here in town who would be able to better evaluate me.  He did some magic and got him to see me quickly.  It was quickly but quick as in a few days…not hours.  So I got an appt for Wed, 5 days post injury.

I was supposed to work the next day but was fully incapable of performing my duties.  I am a career firefighter/paramedic, being on my feet is my livelihood.  I had to call in sick.  I HATE CALLING IN SICK!  I’ve only done it a couple times in 5 yrs.  But it wasn’t all that bad, took that shift off….then had 3 vacation shifts ahead of me which would buy me another 11 days.  Not terrible…i guess my timing was perfect.  So much for getting my boat out over the Memorial Day weekend.

The next few days were okay, all things considered.  I could walk by putting my foot out to the side and basically using my leg as a peg leg…like a pirate, no wood, hook or parrot.  My ankle swelled a bit but not terrible.  Nothing really out of the ordinary aside from not being able to walk normally.  Still I had no pain.  I guess, it could be worse.

Leave a Reply

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash