Coming Back Stronger

October 29th, 2012

Yesterday I ran the half-marathon race in London that I’d been aiming at all year since my ATR last October.

It was the last race I’d completed before the rupture and I vowed all year to come back again to race this year and, moreover, to beat last year’s time. It was one of the big motivating factors I kept in mind right through the recovery, although I kept it pretty secret as I was never really sure how it would turn out.

Well, not only did I beat it, but I also ran a pretty big PB of 1:38.02, nearly two mins faster than my previous best which I set 4 years ago.

There are lots of reasons for this - better training, better nutrition - which have nothing to do with the ATR on the face of it. But I guess it shows that ‘coming back stronger’ is genuinely possible.

Good luck to all on your own roads to recovery…

7 Responses to “Coming Back Stronger”

1. arielvit on October 29, 2012 5:53 am

You’ve just made my day with this post- knowing that it is possible to come back even better. Thank you!

2. kkirk on October 29, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree, its good to hear some positives every once in awhile. Thanks.

3. feedthegoat on October 29, 2012 2:11 pm

kkirk - that’s exactly how I felt when I was two weeks in. Keep faith that you will come back strong - and keep pushing forwards a little every day.

4. kkirk on October 29, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks again, I appreciate it. Still kind of hard since I’ve already been out for 4 months before the surgery and the Doc has me NWB for 6 weeks because of the extent of the reconstruction. Basically, I’m working on my patience and balance and strength of left (no injured leg) at this point.

5. normofthenorth on October 30, 2012 1:20 am

Great story, great accomplishment, FDG! Hang in there, you others!

6. Skutr on November 28, 2012 10:34 pm

Outstanding! I love the attitude!

7. darryn on November 28, 2012 10:40 pm

Congratulations on the PR. This is really encouraging for those just starting. I have not set a race goal but maybe I should.