My Major Goal - Achieved!

October 8th, 2012

Hello to all ATR sufferers - old, and particularly new. Here’s a quick good-news story to give inspiration to those in the early days of your recovery.

I fully ruptured my right achilles in October last year and had surgery the same week. I am a keen runner and sometime soccer player (which is what did the injury) so any sort of layoff was really bad news.

Two weeks before the rupture I had run a half-marathon in 1 hour and 41 minutes, which was my second ever fastest time (my PB is 1:39). During the recuperation from the op I set myself the goal of beating that time in the same race in October 2012.

And yesterday I did it. I ran in 1 hour and 40 minutes, taking a full minute off last year’s time. And I go again in another race in 3 weeks with a genuine shot at beating my PB.

Those long weeks post the operation are really hard going, but they pass soon enough. And whilst my story may not be typical (who knows) my experience was that I was back pretty much to full strength after about 6 or 7 months, and have been in really hard training ever since, running 5 times a week with no ill effects at all.

This site was amazingly useful in the first few weeks, so if you are new to the injury and considering starting a blog then my advice is to go for it.

Feed the goat and he will score.

7 Responses to “My Major Goal - Achieved!”

1. crutchesintx on October 8, 2012 12:22 pm

Awesome job! That is one great goal to accomplish.

I know that in the first few weeks, it really is hard to even think that you can be fully active again. I know that is how I was. I was sitting around thinking how my baseball days were over and pretty much any activity that requires explosive movements.

But now I am 8 weeks post op and getting along really well with the walking boot. I am just itching to get back on the field. Played some catch with my son over the weekend and threw him some batting practice. That just added fuel to the fire to come back stronger than before the ATR.

2. Paul Stephens on October 8, 2012 12:29 pm

Great news. I had planned a 1/2 this October until my ATR :( i plan now to do the same race Ocober next year. All being well. I hope to start running again at my 16 week point so a week and a half’s time. just to take it slow at the start. The worst thing for me just before this happened I was running 6.27 min/miles over 8 miles so I was going great guns for a good time for my 1/2. Sucks greatly. I hope to get there as time goes by. Great recovery!

3. eastcoastrunner on October 8, 2012 1:29 pm

feedthegoat– congrats on your fast half! Good luck beating your PB in 3 weeks! Please post us how it goes. I’m back to distance running @ 6 months, but I am just starting to add little bits of speed in. Makes me laugh because I feel like I’m flying fast, then look at my watch and realize just HOW slow I am going. oh well.
    I have a “goal race” at the end of this month, but I KNOW it will NOT be a PB or even close to it! I had registered for several Big Races just before surgery, and didn’t get to run any of them. This was the last of them. My Ortho and I made this race the goal if everything went well with the healing process. I hit a few snags along the way, so the goal is to complete the distance and have fun, not to shoot for a fast time. I’m good with that :)

4. arielvit on October 8, 2012 1:55 pm

Thank you for sharing this. This gives me more hope that I can actually still get back to form. Soon I too will post my goals in the triathlon and marathon! Thank you!

5. feedthegoat on October 8, 2012 4:07 pm

Reading all this makes me wonder if “coming back stronger” should be the motto for all ATR sufferers. I know that for me it’s been a big theme personally and a very inspiring one too.

Good luck arielvit, eastcoastrunner, crutchesintx and Paul on your recoveries - and vow to come back stronger!

ftg

6. wacaine on October 10, 2012 3:21 pm

I am on the beginning of this long path and hearing good success stories makes it a litte more bearable to know there is light at the end of this long tunnel. Best of luck!

7. feedthegoat on October 10, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey wacaine - those first weeks are horrible - but hang in there. And try to enjoy the R&R!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.