Signed off from the Doc! It’s all over.

April 27th, 2012

Six months to the day since my operation I was signed off by my Doctor yesterday. He told me that the achilles and calf were both back to full strength and I shouldn’t have any worries now about resuming any kind of activity.

I’ve already been back up running for nearly 2 months and last week ran 12 miles with a friend training for the London Marathon - this without any real pain at all. It still looks thick and a bit swollen but I guess I hadn’t much hope of being an ankle model anyway!

So - for all those in your first few days and weeks - be hopeful that you can beat this thing quickly. This will probably be my last post, so here are a few thoughts from me before signing off:

1) I know this is a really tough debate, but I had surgery and I’m pleased I did.

2) There’s no point at all in pushing yourself to walk or stand too early. Really important to do everything the physio says for the first few weeks. However (and this is the important bit) once you are fully weight bearing and back in shoes then my advice is to really go for it and walk every day, each day a little bit further. I pushed through quite a lot of pain in those early weeks and I’m really pleased I did. Being able to walk a mile without a limp early on was crucial for me and I worked very hard at it.

3) Lots of people have said it - but take the time in the few weeks in the cast and boot to slow your life down and make some permanent adjustments.

4) This website was hugely useful to me - so thanks to all the regular contributors and admin team.

Good luck to everyone in their recovery journeys. I know I’ve been lucky and have got back quicker than average. But hopefully this good news story will be helpful to at least one or two people - and give hope to those in the first few days.

Feed the goat and he will score!

13 Responses to “Signed off from the Doc! It’s all over.”

1. normofthenorth on April 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Very impressive results, FtG! Thanks for sharing and best of luck. (& be sure to come back if you happen to roll craps and tear the other side.)

2. Annie on April 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Well done, and this must be a good omen, I have just read the wonderful Mr Goater will be in City Square before THE match on Monday night. Lets hope he brings us the right result.

Very pleased for you as your recovery seems to have gone really well, much better than mine, another anniversary for me as it was 4 years ago this month that my achilles snapped in the car park opposite the Etihad Stadium ‘Feed the goat and he will score’, or maybe Yaya, or Aguero or Tevez or even mad Mario.

3. feedthegoat on April 27, 2012 5:36 pm

Thanks Annie. Not great to hear about your recovery but hopefully slowly but surely it will get there.

Fingers - and everything else - crossed for Monday. I haven’t got a ticket and no idea where to get one now. Perhaps it’s for the best though - this season I’ve been Fulham (first points dropped), Munich (Tevez!), Chelsea (away defeat) and Sunderland (home record comes to an end)!

Say hi to Shauny from me!

4. craigdavid on April 28, 2012 5:57 am

How bizarre, sat watching soccer AM whilst looking at this post and who should appear…Shaun Goater!
    Sounds like you’ve done well with your recovery mate, well done, hope mine goes just as well, 2 weeks on monday since op.
    Good luck to City on monday, hope they go on and win the league.

5. feedthegoat on April 28, 2012 12:24 pm

cheers craigdavid

hope your recovery does go ok. how did you do it? 5-a-side for me….

6. DylanUK on April 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Feedthegoat! Just noticed your name! Monday will be my first match without ‘the boot’! What a game to choose. In East stand lower right at the bottom - takes me ages to get down the steps. 14 weeks in and in 2 shoes - doing great the non-op route - COME ON YOU BLUE BOYS…..3-1 City, Aguero first scorer 75/1!! Sorry to everyone who has no idea what I’m on about!

7. mljackson60 on April 30, 2012 9:17 pm

Congratulations!

8. Janus on April 30, 2012 9:19 pm

Great to hear the news. Six months, and back to normal. I’ll take your advice about the pushing the walking. @ week 14 now, I’ve been doing a lot of PT, but not pushing the distance for the daily walk. In fact, I’ve probably been avoiding that and focusing more on the PT. But it makes sense — got to do the main task more, the assistance exercises maybe a little less.

Thanks — & again, glad to hear about your recovery.

9. craigdavid on May 1, 2012 10:05 am

Feedthegoat, 5 a side did me too :-(

10. gabe on May 13, 2012 11:03 pm

Hey FTG and other Blue fans! Whatta finish! Kundastic!

6 months for me now to the dat and I’m not quite near you but hey, as I dared you all those months ago we’re doing the Poznan and that’s all she wrote.

Happy Healing!!

11. AnnieH on May 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Well, have you recovered yet? 44 years of hurt ended. Very excited, drained and exhausted after the game and yes, I did stay till the end, I still believed. Great excitement here in Manchester.

12. feedthegoat on May 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Gabe and Annie - and all the other City fans are here…

CITY ARE BACK, CITY ARE BACK!

13. toble74 on July 3, 2012 4:22 pm

FTG, I just read your final thoughts. They give me more hope of being back earlier
    Thank you!