up and about

December 20th, 2011

First week or so in shoes now complete - and I’m now able to walk a mile or two without too much discomfort and have also ventured back onto public transport.  Even had a little go back driving the car again at the weekend.

The walking is generally good.  It’s painful to a point, every day something slightly different.  I’m focussing quite hard on trying to keep as normal a gait as I can and trying to ignore the pain rather than the other way around.  Feels like it’s paying off as I really do feel like it’s improving.

For the first time I feel that this is all going to end at some point and life (and my foot) will get back to normal.

Now have a cold though!

3 Responses to “up and about”

  1. Rome on December 20, 2011 10:13 pm

    this is great to hear! i must say i’m a bit jealous LOL! i only wish i could be at the point of where you are. what basically was the timeline layed out for you on your recovery? i was injured on nov.13, surgery nov.18, NWB (on crutches) 6wks till dec.27, in boot PWB/FWB for 4 wks from dec.27 till feb.3, then go into 2 shoes as of feb.3, and i hope to be jogging by may 4. i injured my achilles while playing american football, and mine was a non-contact injury. i was running a pass route & after 10 yards of running the back of my ankle felt like it exploded! congrats on your accomplishments and i hope you’re back playing soccer soon!!!

  2. feedthegoat on December 21, 2011 5:55 pm

    Hi Rome.

    Well - mine was non-contact too effectively. My standing leg went underneath me whilst I was reaching for the ball. I very much doubt I’ll be going back to football after this though - am going to stick with the marathon running (assuming I can!)

    In terms of recovery, it has gone pretty much precisely as the surgeon told me it would when we first met:
    - 4 weeks in plaster (it was 3 weeks and 6 days)
    - 3 weeks in boot (again 2 weeks and 6 days)
    - then into shoes

    Since I got into the boot I’ve been pretty focussed on doing my excercises every day (4 times a day at first). And also I’ve been questioning the physio a lot at each stage, in particular “why can’t I do xx yet, can I try etc etc”. The really big moment for me was going down to one crutch and starting to properly bear weight again (this was about 10 days after being in the boot). From then on everything has started to move a lot quicker.

    Good luck. This site is full of good advice…!


  3. ereka on December 23, 2011 8:21 pm

    Stitches were removed. Dr said it didnt appear thatI hurt anything when I fell. Iam now in an air cast nwb for 2 more weeks. He then decide if I can start wb.

Trackback URI | Comments RSS

Leave a Reply

Name (required)

Email (required)


Speak your mind

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash