Feb

One Year!!!

Hello Achilles Community!

I can’t believe its been a year already since my injury and surgery. I remember the days of being NWB very well and all I could think about at that time was how I wanted time to fly by so I could return to my daily routine. Days seemed liked eternity even though it was nice just laying low and watching movies.

I’m thrilled to report that life is pretty much back to normal at the one year mark for me. Since I was on a very conservative protocol following surgery with 6 weeks of NWB and didn’t get into two shoes until around 12 weeks, it took me a while to recover. I was sad that I couldn’t really resume running at the six month mark as I expected but I kept up with my physical therapy to build back my calf and can finally jog once again. My heel raises are not equal but I’m hoping with time they get better. I was a little nervous about skiing a few weeks ago but all went well and its definitely good to be back to “normal.”

This community was a huge help to me during the first few weeks of my injury. I am very thankful to all the people on here with valuable advice and support. Its nice to check in from time to time and see other people making progress as well.

As others have already pointed out, the worst part of all this is just at the beginning but life gets a lot better as time goes on and things heal up. Hope everyone here stays happy and healthy…

7 Responses to “One Year!!!”

1. 1 anne February 20, 2014 at 7:49 pm

Hey… congratulations on your milestone and your achievements. At almost 7 months post op on my re-rupture I relate to your sentiments.

Good luck!!

2. 2 kellygirl February 20, 2014 at 7:50 pm

What a treat to hear from you, Eye! Glad to hear that you are doing well. The one year mark seems to mark the return to normalcy. I’m hoping to be there myself in a few months. Best of luck with the on-going calf building!

3. 3 normofthenorth February 20, 2014 at 8:26 pm

:-)

4. 4 Ron February 22, 2014 at 10:23 am

Great update and congrats!

5. 5 janis February 22, 2014 at 2:59 pm

Congrats! At about 3 months out, it’s always great to read the updates from those further down the road.

6. 6 kimc February 22, 2014 at 8:24 pm

Hearing such good news from someone a year out is such a boost! Thanks for the positive update!

7. 7 shawnnutt February 22, 2014 at 10:49 pm

Congrats! I’m not sure which date I would consider my year mark, as I had to have 3 surgeries for my ATR. If anything I’m a year out from the 2nd one. I am just starting to jog on the treadmill again. It’s nice to hear others are doing things they once did too at a year out.