Apr

2 Shoes! 2 Shoes!

Just starting post op week nine and very excited to be wearing two shoes indoors. After the difficult transition from the wedge sole to the flat sole (probably because my foot was plantar flexed without any ROM for about 7 weeks), it was easier than I expected. I got a heel lift from amazon and gel heel cup for comfort and so far so good. Just taking baby steps with a limp around the house and in the hallways at work for a few hours a day but its finally some light at the end of the tunnel! As of yesterday’s PT appointment, my foot is finally back at neutral.

My conservative protocol does not allow any resistance or calf strengthening exercises until next week so I’m still using just the yellow theraband and doing seated heel lifts in addition to some other exercises with PT. The BAPS board has been a nice new addition.

I see my surgeon on Monday and am hoping to be out of the boot full time at that time. I love ryanb’s motorcycle helmet analogy and hope to be as careful as possible during this time. I also can’t wait to start driving my manual 6spd car again…hopefully this weekend. I just bought an exercise bike for home use as well and am really looking forward to starting that with some incremental resistence starting next week.

I welcome any advice and insight anyone has to share! Thanks again everyone…

6 Responses to “2 Shoes! 2 Shoes!”

1. 1 normofthenorth April 23, 2013 at 10:43 pm

“No resistance or calf strengthening exercises until next week”, but you’re using the yellow theraband and doing seated heel lifts? Those sound like resistance and calf strengthening exercises to me. Are you doing them only when you’re at the PT, or is there another distinction I’ve missed? You’re moving forward, incrementally but steadily, which is how it’s best done.

If you can install the ATR Timeline Widget (instructions near the top of the Main Page), you won’t have to start each blog post by reminding us how long it’s been — or where you are, or what you were doing, or which leg!

2. 2 kkirk April 24, 2013 at 12:14 am

The freedom of 2-shoes is wonderful. Just make sure to be incremental and step “carefully” until you get out of the danger zone. My ankle stability was one part of my rehab that I ha to focus a lot of energy on and the BAPS board was very effective working in ankle strength and stability. Since you’ve started Therabands and seated calf raises, you have basically stopped the atrophy, but are just starting the process of rebuilding your calf. Incremental and steady is the best way to go. Good luck.

3. 3 eyechilles April 24, 2013 at 10:29 am

Norm - you are absolutely right about me cheating on my conservative protocol and starting those and some other exercises early. I am only doing this at PT three times a week and really looking forward to next week when I can continue to progress. Thanks for the advice about adding the widgets…I forgot to save my changes last time and went back to make sure the widgets would be on my blog. Thanks again Norm. Reading all your posts and your amazing blog has been VERY helpful in my recovery and I look forward to your thoughts. The stair technique was also really helpful. Hope your knee is feeling better.

Kkirk - I love the BAPS board and want to steal it and take it home with me! Thanks again for the advice. I hope your leg is getting better with some rest and you can get back at it soon. I read through all of your blogs my first post op week when I was in bed NWB most of the time and it really helped.

4. 4 arielvit April 24, 2013 at 10:29 am

Congratulations on this milestone! I would take it easy on the driving the manual if you’re just into 2-shoes. You don’t want to be on the road and get committed to using a still weak leg on the clutch. Safety first!

5. 5 eyechilles April 24, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Thanks arielvit. I have a right ATR so thankfully I can use my good leg for the clutch otherwise I would not even think about driving. I have been driving my wife’s automatic for a couple of weeks now…left footed of course! I will first practice with my right foot in a parking lot and see if I can carefully attempt an emergency stop.

6. 6 yakswak April 26, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Congrats EyeChilles!

We’re about the same time as far as injuries go. I also started going without the boot in the house a week and a half ago. Today had a checkup with Ortho and he was very happy with the progress I’ve made with PT and strength of the ankle (this guys is also “conservative” as well where he usually has his patients in a boot until week 12). I’ve got the OK from him to wean the boot officially so I have begun venturing outside as well. I did a bit of “driving” in my wife’s Mini Cooper S and found I had plenty of strength for the 10-15min that I simulated the driving. I guess I’ll post this in my own blog in a bit.

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Happy (and safe) healing!

Yak