Jun 26 2008

eriedutchgirl

Forecasted Frustration

Posted at 9:45 am under wks 11-12

Bloggers ahead of me all mentioned those days when you feel like you’ve taken a few steps backward.  Those days when you are long-since two shoed, and you just feel like not nearly enough progress is being made.  That’s today.  My leg is sore, the limp is more pronounced, and the scar site is warmer even than usual.  I came to work in my ugliest, most comfortable shoes… in a suit.  I’m in a mood to complain about it, I guess.

On the up side, however, I’ve got great PT people and I AM slowly doing more, using more weight in my strengthening exercises.  I suppose feeling sore the next day is a sign of progress…

This was so much easier when it was the THEORY of slow, frustrating recovery!  Thank goodness for posts like Dennis’ most recent–run/walking for 25 minutes!?!  Can’t wait!  Just have to wade diligently through a lot more of this slow progress so I’m ready for that in a month or two.

7 responses so far

7 Responses to “Forecasted Frustration”

1. mattson 26 Jun 2008 at 10:01 am 1

Hang in there Erie! This is a roller coaster of emotions. I know! We can’t have you down in the dumps..You are the one who usually pumps the rest of us up! Atleast you are working. I cannot even go back to work for 6 more weeks. I guess I will go work on my sun burn some more..

2. Tomon 26 Jun 2008 at 10:11 am 2

Erie - The down days make it that much easier to appreciate the good days. I try and keep them in the back of my mind as a reminder to enjoy and celebrate all forward progress, no matter how insignificant it may seem. Mind games, I guess! Hang in there, better days are ahead.

3. eriedutchgirlon 26 Jun 2008 at 10:16 am 3

Thanks for dropping me an upbeat line, my blog brothas! Made my day. What would I do w/o this blog? I mean, seriously… those poor non-net-savvy ATR sufferers…

4. zurichfanon 26 Jun 2008 at 12:42 pm 4

Hang in there.

Your posts always make me laugh and help me keep the faith! You are doing so well!

We just had people come to look at our apartment (because we are moving) and one of the visitors was a surgeon. He and I got to talking and he said an ATR is one of the toughest injuries because of the slow nature of the healing. He said, “Bottom line… it just takes time. I always tell my patients plan on 12 tough weeks…”

You can say that again!

Hang in there. Keep us posted and keep us laughing — makes the healing so much easier.

5. damacaron 26 Jun 2008 at 1:58 pm 5

erie-
    Somehow we always have our downers on the same days!
    I love my PT also but man did she hurt me yesterday! Sore leg today. I’m in the mental dilemma of why is it so annoying to be sore now, when sore muscles were one of my favorite things a few months ago? I’m off and on, happy to be “feeling” my calf. Damn this injury some days! Damn it to hell!!

Days like this when I’m so pissy, I’m glad i’m not alone. Thanks guys!

damacar

6. sheilaon 27 Jun 2008 at 9:04 pm 6

You always have this place to come to when you have those days. I am learning more each day about how others respond to this and I’m so glad to have this site and brothers & sisters in ATR with me (so that none of us have to go it alone). Day by day, step by step. hang in there.

7. kristinatlon 28 Jun 2008 at 8:50 pm 7

Hang in there missy! And, you know in the summer things heal slower (at least that’s what the wound folks say…so, I bet it’s the same for everything.) You’ll be running those 25 minutes in no time…I just know it! Have a happy weekend!