May 12 2008

eriedutchgirl

These Boots were Made for Walkin’…

Posted at 8:55 am under wks 4-5

Spent all weekend FWB and it felt terrific.  Went to a party at my friends farm Saturday.  As long as I sat down regularly to give my good leg a break, I was fine walking/standing on the booted leg.  Went to the grocery store and actually bought what I wanted… knowing that I can actually cook now that I can stand.  I’ve been buying food I can wolf and toss for a month now and getting real eggs was a thrill.

For those waiting desperately to weight bear, I’m AMAZED at how quickly my leg adjusted to walking and bearing weight.  It felt weird, but not painful, to walk.  It still does, particularly in the morning when I just begin.  Found the shoes that are the right height to counter the boot, and walking became much less awkward.  Must go slow and steady, as I feel like I could really hurt my knee if I push it.  I’ve also felt a twinge in my lower back at night, which can almost certainly be attributed to the slight difference in the height of my legs w/the boot.  I try to stretch my back in the morning and at night to baby it through this booted phase of recovery.  I can tell my leg is getting some strength back as it adjusts to walking again.

Anyway, feels great not to have to get someone else to carry my coffee, and to go to the copier all by myself…

10 responses so far

10 Responses to “These Boots were Made for Walkin’…”

1. Doc Rosson 12 May 2008 at 9:35 am 1

eriedutchgirl,

Congrats on another milestone. two shoes awaits. Make sure you stretch your good leg as that carries a lot of stress. Massage, heat and time.
    Keep up the good work.

Doc Ross

2. johnkon 12 May 2008 at 9:57 am 2

Congrats on the milestone !

Johnk :)

3. Tomon 12 May 2008 at 10:03 am 3

Erie - Congrats! Sounds like you’re progressing nicely.

4. brendanon 12 May 2008 at 1:24 pm 4

Erie - nice work! I’ve been in my boot FWB for around 3 weeks now…and since it feels better, I go longer and longer on my feet. This weekend I pushed it a little (mowing yard, biking, walking) and boy was I sore last night. Good thing I have a desk job to recoup this week. Take it slow and keep up on the stretching and massaging, I didnt’ this weekend and paid the price! It’s good to keep me in check though!

5. w8kbrdon 12 May 2008 at 4:15 pm 5

Congratulations!
    It brings a lot of strength reading about your progress. I am having surgery on Wednesday and will begin my path back to walking again. One step at a time and it is great to read that things are progressing.

6. eriedutchgirlon 13 May 2008 at 7:54 am 6

Yeah—just take it one step at a time. I found the crutches to be the most *&%^ing frustrating part of all of this. Now that I can stand to cook and don’t need to find a safe place for my crutches when I’m out on a friday night, my spirits have lifted significantly.

Also, I’ve been doing upper body work and leg pilates. If being active was part of your life before injury, doing the things that you still can do gives you a sense of normalcy and control and seemed to work out some of the other-worldly-fuzzy feeling from the pain meds. Cheers to you and all fingers crossed for your surgery tomorrow!

7. jmonon 13 May 2008 at 9:37 am 7

Eriedutchgirl,
    I’ve recently discovered that the frustration with the crutches has been replaced with a new annoyance. By the time doc told me I could drop the crutches, I was getting pretty efficient. I could keep up with coworkers around the plant (unless they were power walking). Now that I’ve dropped the crutches, I am once again the slowest person in the building…UGH. There IS one little old lady who works in assembly. She often walks with a cane. Maybe I’ll challenge her to a footrace?
    -J

8. eriedutchgirlon 13 May 2008 at 9:41 am 8

Jmon

You can totally take her. Don’t let her make you feel slow.

I had the same experience with loss of speed once the crutches were gone. However, I do much of my work out of a domestic violence shelter, so I freakin’ HATED crutching into that building having a dozen strangers look at me in wordless pity. I wanted to say “No, NO! It’s not what you think!”

9. drewon 13 May 2008 at 10:28 am 9

Jmon,

You will get fast in the boot too. Then, just when you get some speed, you will be back in 2 shoes and moving slower than ever. That is what I am experiencing right now. It takes me about 5 minutes to walk to the other end of the floor in my office building. Ugh. Like everything else with this injury, I’m sure it’ll get better.

Good luck!

Drew

10. jmonon 13 May 2008 at 12:48 pm 10

Drew,
    I went straight from NWB to 2 shoes and FWB, so I’m working on my final transition. If I move REALLY slowly and take tiny little steps, I can almost avoid limping. I’ve started humming the “Chariots of Fire” theme song everywhere I go.
    -J