ericm98’s AchillesBlog

Atrophy or Lack Thereof, Scar, Cool Sticky Tape Week 9

February 15, 2015 · 7 Comments

Not sure if earlier boot and WB helped, I was told it would, in lessening atrophy (which hopefully is one less battle to have to significantly fight)

As it stands today:

1. Surgical leg is my right
2. Surgical leg’s calf
3. Non-surgical leg calf
4. Scar

I got this cool stick tape stuff from my PT, goes on super smooth and thin almost feels like it’s just my skin. Very helpful with keep some small gauze there to prevent excessive rubbing by sneaker:

Tegaderm Film is the product

Categories: Uncategorized

7 responses so far ↓

• skelonas // Feb 15th 2015 at 1:42 pm

Looking good Eric. Nice tip on the tape. What kind of boot did you have? If I go that route I may be purchasing my own, so was thinking of the vacocast linked from the home page.

• ericm98 // Feb 15th 2015 at 2:20 pm

I had the Vaco, really liked it (make sure to buy a couple additional liners so when you wash yours you have a backup). I also got an extra insert just in case something happened to the one that comes with the cast. Also got the Evenup on their accessories page.

Aircast is a good one too, the core differences from what I understand are:

1. Vacocast has built in ROM
    2. Aircast requiest wedges while Vaco does not

I never used the ROM other than changing the degrees periodically but I was happy not to use wedges in my boot + I like the beaded/custom fit approach of the Vaco.

You can go swimming with the Vaco too, not sure about the Aircast.

I found the vaco to be comfortable, breathable, and quite convenient.

For the extra accessories
    shop.vacocast.com/collections/accessories

Yeah, this tape is amazing..it’s the little things for us :) No one else quite understood my excitement here in the house haha

• skelonas // Feb 15th 2015 at 8:26 pm

Thanks for the run down, Eric. I think seeing pics of Kobe and Vince Wilfork wearing the Vacocast is enough to sell me on it.

• squashedat // Feb 16th 2015 at 4:14 pm

Hi Eric, looking good! both legs look about the same….do they feel the same on ROM? Also, are you doing any strengthening work on the injured leg yet? My PT told me that she wouldn’t start the strengthening work until week 12 as that’s the protocol she follows because the healing is not totally complete yet.

• ctcbusted // Feb 17th 2015 at 12:10 pm

Eric - this is very good news. You are coming through your re-tear scare very well.

• ericm98 // Feb 17th 2015 at 4:54 pm

Thanks ctc…I’m starting to wonder if the MRI was even accurate, maybe it was a scar tissue pop..who knows I guess.

Squashedat - yeah it’s fairly similar on DF and PF, I’m going foot over foot up the stairs now..still nervous going down :)

I have been doing non WB leg work like standing curls and side leg lifts on a standing leg machine.

Still need to work on completely stepping through with my non-surgical leg, my body is still use to the peg leg approach I had with the vaco locked at zero. I’m noticing improvement already though, I can speed up some (walking)

• donna // Feb 17th 2015 at 6:52 pm

Hey Eric/Squashedat…I got the OK to start lower body strength training at 12 weeks, over the last three weeks (15 will be in a few days) we’ve increased the reps and weights on the machines at PT. Today I got the OK to do some on my own at my gym which has way more equipment, I was like a kid in a candy store with so many machines to choose from. I made a spread sheet to track my on/off days so I can keep better track of my workouts and since I’m still not back to work, this is my job! HA HA.