ericm98’s AchillesBlog

First FWB Steps in Boot

January 28, 2015 · 11 Comments

8 weeks post rupture, 7 weeks post surgery, 4 weeks post-partial re-tear.

Started transitioning to 1 crutch today and that was a real tough mental block. Got over it, did a few steps ditched the crutched and had glorious, unassisted (save for the boot) steps. Was very pleased with this. PT cancelled yesterday due to huge snowstorm so I have a follow up Friday and 8 week post op with OS next week.

Going to stick with crutches and limited FWB tomorrow and this evening as well as iWalk for stairs until I give it some more time. I learned my lesson about being measured in my enthusiasm before so I’ll celebrate this recent development and move on to the next challenge with a deep appreciation of the length of the road ahead and the challenge of shoes/vulnerability of that phase.

Categories: Uncategorized

11 responses so far ↓

• ctcbusted // Jan 31st 2015 at 3:24 pm

That is excellent news - especially after the re-tear and hard decision you had to make.

• herewegoagain // Feb 1st 2015 at 6:50 pm

Those mental blocks do come along and you have had a set back so it is totally understandable. Glad you are doing well and the decision to skip a second round of surgery seems to be paying off!

• ericm98 // Feb 2nd 2015 at 9:24 am

So far so good…..hopefully in the long run it was the right call. 8 week post op today so we’ll see :)

• nstan1224 // Aug 22nd 2016 at 8:26 am

What would a partial re tear feel like

• ericm98 // Aug 22nd 2016 at 8:50 am

Hi….I had felt a pop when I had a partial re-tear

• nstan1224 // Aug 22nd 2016 at 10:17 am

Was there a lot of pain?

• ericm98 // Aug 22nd 2016 at 10:21 am

It was sore. But I didn’t do a second OP i just let it heal. Bottom line was an MRI for me was not workable because I was 4 weeks or so out from surgery thus they’d have a hard time telling me what was what on the imaging. Only way to know for sure was to open it back up again and even then unsure about being able to tie it back together properly due to the surgery/full tear earlier.

My advice would be to ask the Ortho what they think if you’re far enough out maybe imaging makes sense. It didn’t feel like a complete re-tear so I just went with it and delayed PT a couple weeks. So far so good…I’m about 1 1/2 year post surgery and am currently training for my first 5k in january

• nstan1224 // Aug 22nd 2016 at 10:27 am

Was the pop very noticeable? I am 1 month post op on my left Achilles I’m 20 years old college athlete. I’m in walking boot but keep feeling these cracks. They don’t hurt but I am concerned about partial tear. Would I have noticed?

• ericm98 // Aug 22nd 2016 at 10:33 am

Yeah it was….it’s pretty common to feel those zings and such post op. Unless you experienced direct trauma (i fell off my scooter without by boot on directly on my heel) or your surgeon was woefully inadequate it is unlikley that your achilles re-tore during normal day to day stuff.

• nstan1224 // Aug 22nd 2016 at 10:36 am

Okay that’s a relief. I actually see my surgeon today soon. But thank you for the help that made me calm down a lot. I have only taken the boot off when I wash the incision I haven’t showered with it off even I still use a shower bag over the boot. Thanks for the help though! Hopefully I will be in shoes soon

• ericm98 // Aug 22nd 2016 at 10:38 am