FWB and walking…WOOT!

October 22nd, 2012

So…its been a while since I wrote my last blog, because life suddenly takes over when you starting walking again….!! ;-)

But I’m 2 months post-surgery today and have been walking now for two weeks. Got my cam boot off on Thurs 4th Oct and have been walking without the boot just in flat shoes. Apparently wedges are the way to go (in shoes), but the achilles feels really good and is increasing with flexibility day by day.

Doing lots of pool work an exercise with therabands to keep me mobile. The pool is best be because I don’t get any swelling afterwards.

Want to get another massage of my calf and maybe (friction massage of the ) tendon.  Seeing physio regularly and apparently things seem to be going well… :-)

Now its just taking day by day and working on my strength and flexibility - the HARD WORK! Determined to get back to 100% or as close as possible, so will keep at it.

As I’ve said before, its all about the small stuff really…

Keep it real everyone

Emm

6 Responses to “FWB and walking…WOOT!”

1. Sheena on October 22, 2012 10:27 am

Hi,
    so you have been in two shoes since week six yes? that is quick. Was there any particular reason why so quick or was that just the prtocol you followed. Great news though.

2. normofthenorth on October 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Your timeline doesn’t list where you are. Care to share? (Not sure how to fix it, if you want to.)

While you’re feeling stronger and more confident, don’t forget to Watch Your Step! Literally and figuratively too. Be incremental with activities and exercises.

3. kkirk on October 22, 2012 3:50 pm

That’s quick and awesome! Happy healing.

4. crutchesintx on October 22, 2012 8:50 pm

It’s interesting to see how everyone heels and the protocol they are following. There is a guy at my PT who had surgery a week after me and is already in two shoes where my protocol doesn’t have me in two shoes until week 12.

5. emmq on October 23, 2012 5:50 am

Hey guys, thanks for the well wishes and advice on taking it easy! :-)

The management plan that the surgeon gave me (sports med surgeon) advises PT at 6 weeks and weaning off the cam boot into 2 shoes etc. But I felt ready at 6 weeks to start walking in two shoes, as I had already starting walking without the boot a little at home (very cautiously of course).

I’ve been taking it easy in terms of PT and walking. Just small exercises with theraband, walking in the pool and a little swimming (only 20 mins at a time). Only a little swelling and bruising initially, now I’ve learnt to limit the exercises to the right point, so I get the benefit but aren’t pushing it too much….and no swelling etc.

No pain and the achilles seems to get a little more flexible day by day…

From doing a bit of reading myself ( I work in research), I know there’s a real difference in mgt plans. There is some evidence on the benefit of early PWB etc. But I guess it all comes down to individual physiology and the healing process etc.

I’ve read the horror stories of people re-rupturing - so I feel forewarned, don’t worry about that!!

HAPPY HEALING EVERYONE - may the journey be right for you! :-)

Emm

6. kkirk on October 28, 2012 9:06 pm

That’s awesome!!!! Happy Healing. That is all. :)