Miss Emm’s recovery blog

September 4th, 2012

Hey peeps,

WOW - what a great site! I left the (public) hospital here in rural Australia with very little information (after surgery on 22/08), feeling very uninformed and powerless..but now I feel forearmed!

So did my achilles playing AFL (our footy code) on 18/08 and heard the “usual” bang/snap and was cursing all the other team for ‘kicking my ankle’, but apparently there was no one around me…HA! ;-)

Had surgery 4 days later and apparently all went well. Rested for a 7-10days at home (thank god I’m currently living with family!) and got a cam/walkabout boot fitted on 30/08. But wasn’t given exact instructions re: weight bearing, so did 2-3 hrs shopping soon after with crutches, only to realise NOW that I completely over did it and now need to ensure I don’t weight bear at all!!! DAMN…but the swelling has gone down, due to rest/elevation and I’m not in any pain etc. So hoping everything will be OK?!

So reassuring to hear similar issues/problems/pains etc. Am working from home intermittently with half days at work - does anyone else get incredibly bored at home all day??? I know I should be enjoying the R&R, but honestly not used to being inactive, I think this is the biggest hurdle for me to overcome in recovery…

I saw the physio on the 04/09 for general check up, apparently everything is as it should be…How good does it feel having someone (anyone?) touch your leg/foot and massage your calf?  Oh my poor weeny calf and apparently its only going to get worse….Determined to be a good rehab girl from now on in, as I’m dreaming of snowboarding already….. :-)

Best Wishes to all!
Cheers,
Miss Emm

10 Responses to “Miss Emm’s recovery blog”

1. Mr WordPress on September 4, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi, this is a comment.
    To delete a comment, just log in, and view the posts’ comments, there you will have the option to edit or delete them.

2. davidr on September 7, 2012 4:34 am

Hello Miss Emm, where in Oz are you? What a wonderful country. Although everyone’s rehab is different, this site is a good resource, it allows you to get some opinions with which to make your own decisions on your rehab. Good luck.

3. daves on September 7, 2012 10:39 am

I can relate to feeling a bit “left out in the cold” after being turned loose with a cast and a pair of crutches. Also can relate to the “chicken leg syndrome”.

Yes, you will find this website to be a wealth of practical information, advice, and encouragement. I know I have.

Good luck with your recovery!
    I didn’t know you could snowboard in Australia!!??

4. sheena on September 7, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi there,
    let us know how you get on when you start boarding again. I am about to have surgery for a re rupture so don’t over do it. I can’t ever imagine snowboarding again at the moment. My calf was already gone, it will be a bone in another 6 weeks….Don’t over do like I may have done…Good luck and happy healing…doh, it is boring!!!!!

5. jaxx on September 7, 2012 1:51 pm

Hiya,

Yeah, it really is boring…. spent a long time NWB and now I’m so happy to be up and about. Keep that in mind, you WILL get there, if you’re like me probably slower than you want but it does happen.

Happy thoughts!

Jaxx

6. emmq on September 8, 2012 10:03 pm

Thanks so much guys!! Its just so great to chat to people who really understand what its like to be inactive and on the longest recovery path of my life!

Yes despite great media images of OZ being the sunburnt country you can snowboard here in the “snowy” (bit of a misnomer) mountains in NSW/VIC. However, after living 7 years in London, I must say the french/swiss alps are UNREAL and honestly - Canada has the best sno base and dumps….but I guess I”ll just keep dreaming of this for now… ;-)

Living and working (seconded) in Broken Hill at the mo (small country town with family), but my base is Sydney. So I’m fortunate I’ve got a great family looking after me…how do you guys do it? The reliance and dependence on everyone else - super tough?!

Dennis is a legend for setting up this site! I’m seeing the physio on Tues 11/09, so will post again after that.

Super best wishes everyone. Sending you all positive healing karma :-)

Miss Emm

7. emmq on September 8, 2012 10:06 pm

ps- yes scared also of re-rupture. Had a little fall in the kitchen when I spilt coffee one morning and pushed back on my left leg to really feel the tendon…..but no pain since then and will re-check with physio OK.

Sheena how did you re-rupture your achilles hun?

8. davidr on September 9, 2012 5:28 am

Hi Miss Emm,

I know Broken Hill and the Snowy’s very well. I spent some time in the Snowy’s National Park during my year out in Oz. I also spent a fair while just north of there in Batlow apple picking, and some time in Gundagai. And I spent a little time in Broken Hill to break up the mammouth Indian Pacific Journey. That said I’m sure seeing specialists in Sydney will be more likely than out in the sticks. This site will help. My initial goal was to get back to snowboarding but my recovery has not been good and it may not happen now. To be honest after 16 weeks and no end in sight I’d just be content with weight bearning and getting rid of my crutches. All the best.

David

9. Hillie on September 10, 2012 1:12 pm

Hi David

Could be worth you seeing a good sports physio. I started to visit one at soon after 16 weeks and it was then that the recovery really took off. They see so many of these injuries (ask them about this) that they can be a lot of help. Would get you out too (or you could probably pay extra to have at-home service. (Mega£?).

What do you think?

10. davidr on September 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Hi Hillie,

Yes I started going to one last week for my second injury (I injured my good achilles during physio for the operated one). So I have one physio for each leg now. Until both are FWB I’m a bit stuck!

He does many Olympians and sports teams and is CHEAP!!!