Dec

A few days ago I quit wearing my brace in the house at all. It just made for a really awkward gait. I have no pain in my foot FWB but I don’t have my full range of motion so I kind of hobble like I have a peg leg. I try to roll it heel to toe but it will definitely be awhile before I get rid of the limp.
I saw the PT today for the first time for my evaluation and she basically just took measurements and gave me my home instructions:
1) Ankle pumps 10 reps, 3x/day
2) Ankle circles 10 reps, 3x/day
3) Alphabet (with toes)
4) Straight leg raises (opposite knee bent) up to 50x/day
5) Sitting towel pick-up with my toes. Reps until fatigued
6) Sitting tap feet to music, up and down, left and right
7) Gentle massage of scar (side to side and up and down)
8.) Ice afternoon and evening
I lost 1.25 inches off my calf (!) and although I can walk without the brace I can’t do the full range of motion- only to -20 degrees.
I see my doc on Thursday so we’ll see what he says re: the brace. She didn’t want to do any manipulating since the doctor’s orders said no to active dorsiflexion until 10 weeks post-op. I have my first real PT session on Friday and will post again then.

Comments

mari on 1 December, 2009 at 10:55 pm #

Wow, all I have a t 8 weeks/3 days is leg raises and moving the toes up and down.

2ndtimer on 2 December, 2009 at 10:31 am #

Starting walking is hard, and barefoot is more difficult. It helped me a lot to wear good running shoes indoors, too. helped to learn to roll the foot.

Justpeachie on 2 December, 2009 at 10:01 pm #

Emily, Looks like we had surgery within a few days of each other. I am having a really hard time trying to walk. I’m wondering what -20 degrees range of motion means exactly. My leg & foot is fixed at a perfect L shape, I would call this 45 degrees. I can not rock forward at all & my knee is directly above my ankle. Are you saying that you can move your knee over your foot until it is almost above you toes? I am really concerned that my tendon is way to short now & will never be able to stretch to where it needs to be to walk. My doctor has released me to PT & says I don’t need to return to him at all unless I have any problems. I have been doing major dorsiflexion stretching exercises for over a week now. Foot flat on a step and leaning as hard as I can for a count of 20, rest and repeat for 5 minutes. Pulling the ball of my foot back with a strap & holding for 30 sec for 5 min. Placing foot flat on a thick pillow & shifting full weight to it for 10 sec for 3 min. I do these exercises twice a day and ice afterwards. I see no improvement, or ever so slight if any. I sure hope this thing starts to stretch soon, as I don’t want to have surgery again to lengthen it. Hope your recovery is swifter than mine. Paulette

Emily on 3 December, 2009 at 1:17 pm #

Hi Paulette-
I haven’t done any dorsiflexion stretching except what I do when I walk. I can only bend my knee a little bit over my foot, hardly much at all, in fact! From what I’ve been told that just takes some time getting back to normal. The doc will not let my PT do any passive dorsiflexion until 10 weeks. He just told me today I can use a theraband but I haven’t done anything like that before because I didn’t want a re-rupture! The tendon isn’t healed up well enough until 10 weeks to actual force a good stretch on it.
Really, it sounds like you are doing great!
Take care,
Emily

Emily on 3 December, 2009 at 1:18 pm #

2ndtimer-
Thanks- I’ve been wearing shoes indoors too. Just seems like I don’t have much padding on my heel even!
Take care,
Emily

Judy on 3 December, 2009 at 1:28 pm #

I ruptured Sept 28, had surgery 4 days later. I am now 9 weeks post op. I walk in a shoe with very little difficulty, and go to therapy twice a week. BTW, I am 55 female and carry some extra pounds. I started exercising my foot 2 weeks after surgery when my hard cast and stitches came out. It helped and my therapist said WOW!! lol.. Good luck to you all.