No more heel wedges in my boot! Now I can walk around without crutches 50% of the time (the other 50% on 1 crutch), take showers standing up (yay!) and even hobble around without a brace inside the house (for a little bit). I finally started driving since I can get to the car fairly easily (I had some stair issues…lol)
I have my first PT eval and session next week so we’ll see how the next stage goes. Still icing 2-3 times a day and elevating after I’ve been up for awhile.
We are going to St. John in 10 days and am a little anxious about the plane flights and maneuvering around airports. I’m debating on whether to bring a wheelchair since I’m nervous to be around so many people and having to walk too far. Also would love to “walk” on the beach and even wade in the water (I’ve already accepted I won’t be getting any snorkeling in) but not too excited about wearing my boot…Any suggestions? I’ll ask the PT and doc too but seem to get more tried and true solutions here!!

Comments

emsblog on 25 November, 2009 at 7:05 am #

Hi,

Most airports offer a service where they assist you to and from the plane either via an airport buggy(those golf car looking things) or a porter and wheel chair or just a chair if you have someone to push you, and its FREE!

You should be able to find details and book it online.

Have fun in St. Johns

Joe on 25 November, 2009 at 7:57 am #

I used the airport golf car to get to my next gate. Give yourself a little bit more time to get through security as well. Other than that it was pretty easy. Had a lot of swelling to deal with that even though.

ultidad on 25 November, 2009 at 5:15 pm #

Smoley has a quite humorous account of her trip to Paris.

rainbow on 26 November, 2009 at 6:16 am #

I recently flown on a long distance flight. You probably won’t have any issues getting on the flight with the with the boot. Some airlines won’t let people fly who have a cast unless the cast is split first. I had a full leg cast and the insurance people made me get it split before flying home. In the end, the airline did not check. The concern they have is with swelling of the limb that can occur at altitude. If the boot can be released they should be ok. Would your doctor be able to give a fitness to fly letter just in case. If there is any chance of a long trip from the plane to the luggage etc then go for the assistance. I arranged it through my airline. They had a wheelchair ready at check in and took me through passport control and to the plane and had a chair and somebody to push waiting at the other end.
I now have a Vacoped boot and I have used waterproof plaster cast covers to protect it while showering. The link has some info but there are other types available on the internet. I haven’t used it to go swimming but it certainly works in the shower.

Hope this helps and you get to enjoy your holiday.

3littleones on 26 November, 2009 at 7:53 pm #

Hi Emily,

Congrats that you are doing so well with your weight bearing! I am trying to get to the point of one-crutching, but I have only done a few steps so far. My ankle gets super swollen and my fear factor is high. I still have a 20 degree heel lift and I have been wondering if that is hindering my success since my bad leg is so short in my boot! My PT seemed to think my lift is fine. Do you wear a higher heel on your good leg to compensate? I am not usually a “lay on the beach” sort, but the idea of laying my legs in the sand and taking off the boot and soaking my leg in sun sounds heavenly! Have a great trip! Hopefully you can milk your bad leg for a good seat on the plane where you can easily elevate!

best, catherine

Emily on 29 November, 2009 at 9:32 am #

Thank you all for your advice. I think I’ll bring my wheelchair with me since I might need it on my trip (not just at the airport!). I tried to call the airline to get my seat changed but they said they can’t do it until I get to the airport. I’ll post an update when I get back!