Today I can walk comfortably with 2 heel wedges! I almost can’t believe it since yesterday morning it hurt and felt too tight and I had to use 2 crutches! When I went from the cast to the boot it took me a good week before I could PWB and another week before I could walk with one crutch. Today my foot feels great and I even walked WITHOUT crutches up and down the hallway! Yay!
I don’t have any pain and it doesn’t look swollen but I’m laying down now with my foot elevated and icing it to give it a break. I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a reusable ice pack? Maybe one that velcros on?

Comments

strohdecaire on 18 November, 2009 at 2:47 pm #

Good Day, Emily! Here’s one I found from Amazon:

I can attest that it certainly stays cold forever and it’s flexible right out of the freezer…..plus, as an added bonus, it has a velcro strap! Happy to hear you’re moving along……I’ll be right behind you with the wedges come next week…….my appointment is the 24th.
Best wishes……….Stroh

Roy on 18 November, 2009 at 2:55 pm #

Ice Bag: Quart or Gallon size Ziploc bag. Do not fill completely, leave some room in it–put 50% water and 50% Rubbing Alcohol. Place in freezer–the mixture gets very cold, does not freeze solid and allows you to fit it to the shape you want. Place a small towel between the bag and your skin.

I usually keep 3 in the freezer so that there is always one available. When you take it out of the freezer, bend it, squish it, and this allows it to be flexible and fits the shape of your ankle, etc.

Hope this helps…

dreams on 18 November, 2009 at 4:02 pm #

I have a flexible hot/cold pack at home, and I have been looking for one like it for almost a month. I never thought about making my own….thank you Roy!!

2ndtimer on 18 November, 2009 at 5:31 pm #

Wow. So a bottle of Vodka in a freezer bag would do the trick, too, and secretly you could suck on the bag when you feel down? ;-)

graham on 19 November, 2009 at 12:45 am #

I got my ice/heat pack from eBay - loads on there and quite cheap.

Emily on 19 November, 2009 at 7:37 pm #

Thanks for all the suggestions! Might try the vodka one tonight :) lol