Oct 26 2010

Week 13.5 - My first post op trail run 3.5 miles - good for a laugh.

Published by elsurfer at 7:42 pm under Uncategorized

I’m an intermediate level Adventure Racer where the primary disciplines are Kayak, Trail Run, Mountain Biking. A typical day race for me is like 5-10 miles on Kayak, 15-20 trail running/hiking and maybe 25-40 miles on a bike all while orienteering to a dozen to two dozen checkpoints out in sticks with a map and compass within 8 to 12 hours. I must admit I’m not at my racing weight, but I decided to give the trails a “GO” this weekend after my boss at work laid down a challenge for a group hike coming in December.

Anyways I took some video and debated about posting it because of how LAME and GIMPY I look and the stride is freaking AWFUL. But hey, we all gotta start running sometime. The takeaway here is that I’m able to push the calf and Achilles a lot harder now. This was a 3.5 mile run up and back. 600 ft elevation gain in 1.75 miles. The terrain was really uneven and bumpy from the rains so it exaggerates (read: exposes) my calf weakness BIG TIME. You can see me hopping ruts, bumps and off camber trailage. I ran about half of it. The AT did not hurt after wards nor was it any stiffer than usual. I have to look back and really laugh at this video, but mostly at my own girth and how badly I suck. Anyways, it’s motivation and I predict that over the next 2 or 3 weeks, the stride will even out a lot more. Anyways, it’s good for a laugh.

7 Responses to “Week 13.5 - My first post op trail run 3.5 miles - good for a laugh.”

1. drewton 26 Oct 2010 at 11:04 pm

That’s great - I’m impressed both by the great and courageous exercise (hope I’ll be there at your point) and also that you know how to post a video! Looks like your 4 achilled friend is glad to be out going at it too.

2. normofthenorthon 27 Oct 2010 at 1:09 am

+1 = “What Drew Said!!”

3. Bradon 27 Oct 2010 at 8:50 am

I like it - its about what i would look like (I’m 12 weeks post injury, non operative)

FWIW, your right foot has your toes pointed out, while the left is straight ahead.

keep it up!

4. mikek753on 31 Oct 2010 at 4:20 am

very impressive.
    My PT didn’t allow me to do anything like that.
    I jog in corridor while my PT looked at me and was told not to even try as my Calf wasn’t good and I limped and didn’t use foot ball to lend foot properly. So I was told I can do more damage to my body then good to my Calf …
    So, here I’m at 35 weeks and not running outside for a while

5. Fidel Banueloson 20 Mar 2011 at 4:03 pm

Running at 13.5 weeks! Cool. I am at 15 weeks and cannot. Question based on one of your responses on someone else’s blog: At what point were you able to walk downstairs? Aside from not being able to run, that is one thing that is frustrating right now.

Thanks!

Fidel
    bfee2002@yahoo.com

6. elsurferon 20 Mar 2011 at 4:15 pm

Fidel,

I believe it was slightly before 8 weeks post-op. I’ve got most of my progress videoed and notes about where the I was physically on that post.

Here’s the original post and the stair progress was towards the end of the video.

Happy healing!

[WORDPRESS HASHCASH] The poster sent us ‘0 which is not a hashcash value.

7. Fidelon 21 Mar 2011 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for the reply and link. I was so inspired by your videos that I went for a 2 mile walk yesterday.