Oct 03 2010

10 weeks post op. Videos - keep workin’ it!.

Published by elsurfer at 12:23 am under Uncategorized

My 10 week video. Still in physical therapy and adding exercises every session. I had to travel this week and didn’t get much chance to do these exercises on my own. However, I did a lot of hurried walking at the airports trying to keep my gait straight and concentrating on heel-toeing.

I did Karate last night for 1.5 hours (first time in 3 months since the injury), which consisted of lots of stretching, falls, warm up bouncing, Kata (forms), all on a mat. I also did some careful kicking (front, roundhouse) on a kicking pad, but had to take it real easy as pivoting to kick on my ATR’d foot was mentally and physically near impossible. Walking/bouncing barefoot on a mat was definitely more challenging than I thought as the mat kinda counter-sinks creating a bit more stress on the calf. It was definitely a hard work out, probably harder than I should have done, but I was never in any pain or strain. My Doc and PT would have a serious fit had they seen what I was doing out there.

Here’s the vid. It was done the day after my workout and PT session so I was a bit sore and stiff doing this video, some movements are a bit jerky. I had to also hurriedly put it together. 10 weeks post-op, two maybe three things in there I shouldn’t be doing but attempted and did - I think you’ll find it interesting.

Again, it’s my right that’s ATR’d.

6 Responses to “10 weeks post op. Videos - keep workin’ it!.”

1. kastonon 03 Oct 2010 at 2:07 am

single calf raises! looks great. i’m at 9 weeks and if i can get to where you’re at now in a month, i’ll be stoked. just be careful. as i’ve learned, pushing too hard can sometimes do more harm than good.

2. normofthenorthon 03 Oct 2010 at 5:28 am

Very impressive, surfer! In your UNinjured calf/heel raises, the way you “throw” your other foot up looks like an aid, or a “cheat”. I’ve been wrong before, but it looks like the momentum of your lifted foot (when you’re lifting your “good” heel) would help get your heel lift a little higher than without it.

With or without, there’s clearly a difference or a deficit — as one would certainly expect at 10 weeks post-op, for Heaven’s sake!! — but I’m not sure if the different/asymmetrical techniques are making the difference look bigger or smaller. . . and I’m guessing bigger.

Got to go now, and work on my own heel raises! ;-)

3. elsurferon 03 Oct 2010 at 12:16 pm

Norm, I have to agree with you on the uninjured raise. I was rushing through making this clip, and didn’t pay particular attention to form or technique there - didn’t think anyone would care about seeing the good heel raises :)
    I did slow down on the injured lift trying not to “rock” upwards or “roll” forward and bend the knee to get separation from the floor.

Thinking about a proper heel raise, would probably be a non-bent knee, slowly lifting the heel up and slowly down - barefoot. I’m not quite there yet.

BTW, I was just taught that technique that Doug was talking about in mikek753’s thread in PT on Friday. You lift both heels, remove the good heel/foot out of the equation, then let the ATR’d heel descend slowly - that will be a huge challenge, but should build up lots of calf strength.

4. rsnon 04 Oct 2010 at 11:43 am

i am beginning of week 9. got the ok to ditch the boot. when did you start driving ?

5. jhc121on 04 Oct 2010 at 1:12 pm

Elsurfer. That’s pretty impressive. You seem much further along than I am right now, considering I’m not able to do a single leg heel raise on the injured side. Also your scar is quite unnoticeable. With mine the scar is very noticeable, extending 4.5 inches and mildly tender distally.

6. elsurferon 04 Oct 2010 at 3:04 pm

rsn, I drove in my cast two weeks post-op. After the cast came off, I continued to brake with my left (non ATR) and accelerated with might right using mostly the toes til I got more strength. I drive an automatic.

jhc121, read your update post and most of what you are experiencing / had experienced with tightness, stairs etc. were all what I felt and currently feeling. I’m also feeling the same weakness and pains you are when having walked long distances. The area on both sides of the lower AT tend to ache and get swollen after being on my foot all day. The back of the heel also tends to ache. I find that icing helps, but hasn’t been a permanent fix. Interestingly, you and I are about the same age/activity/injury date.

I have a slight concern about swelling and scar tissue, it’s been about the same for the last couple of weeks. The swelling hasn’t gone down and the injury area (the AT and scar) seems “thick”. I try to have the PTs really work that area. From what I read it may be like this for a very long time, maybe even permanently, and we will never get that sleek slender Achilles look. I don’t want that to inhibit movement in the future.

I have darker skin and my skin abrasions tend to heal faster which is why you can’t see it on my vid. I’ll snap a closer pic and post for those of you morbidly interested - lol.

My concerns:
    Plateau / calf weakness (don’t we all)
    thick scar/AT
    taking it easy so I don’t heal long over the next couple of weeks.