duke’s AchillesBlog

Just another AchillesBlog.com weblog

    • duke has completed the grueling 26.2 ATR miles to full recovery!
      Goal: 365 days from the surgery date.
      Achilles NYC Marathon Course Sidebar Image

      Click here for the Group Marathon Tracker

    September 2011
    M T W T F S S
        Oct »
  • ATR Timeline

    • Name: duke
      Location: Pennsylvania
      Injured during: basketball
      Which Leg: R
      Status: 2-Shoes

      593 wks Post-ATR
      592 wks  3 days
         Since start of treatment

Day 0 — Trip to the OR

Posted by duke on September 26, 2011

After a weekend with my foot up, my wife drove me to same day surgery at 6:15am.  I signed in and took a seat.  By 7am I was in the pre-operative holding area, I met with the anesthesiologist and signed my anesthesia consent.

There was a moment of comedy while I was on my stomach for the peripheral nerve block.  I was prepped and the anesthesiologist was ready.  The nurse asked if I was starting to feel more relaxed (from the sedatives), I felt no different and this led to a discussion between the two nurses that amounted to “did you give the meds” “no I thought you gave the meds” “I didn’t give anything yet”.  Bottom line was a little bit of light sedation and then a lot of pressure as the block was given.

The CRNA (nurse anesthetist) introduced himself to me, we had some small talk about his kids.  After another dose of sedative to relax me…I woke up in the recovery area with oxygen via face mask.  I vaguely remember the surgeon assuring me that everything went great with the surgery.  I snoozed a bit, my wife came back to see me.  I found out that the surgeon was able to simply stitch my tendon together–no release from the calf, no tendon transfer.  The surgeon’s physician assistant came by to give me my discharge instructions.  Post-operative visit would be thee following Friday and she recommended I try to stay home until then, keep my leg up and get my recovery started properly.

I was sent home with a wrap to ice my leg through the splint (it is a small cooler that circulates ice water through a wrap I put on my splint).  My instructions were to keep my leg elevated and continuous cooling for the next 72 hours.  The nerve block was great but I had to pay close attention to my foot whenever I got up to make sure I didn’t bump into things.    Heeding the anesthesiolgist’s advice, I took a dose of pain medication before going to sleep (even though my nerve block was in full effect).   By 2:30 am the block was wearing off and I was reaching for more medicine…

Leave a Reply

XHTML: You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

To prove you're a person (not a spam script), type the security word shown in the picture.
Anti-Spam Image

Powered by WP Hashcash